Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open LR4 upgrade

Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My MAC meets spec but still getting this message "You can’t open the application “Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4” because it’s not supported on this type of Mac." Has this happened to anyone else?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of processor does your Macintosh have?  Which operating system are you using?  Do you receive this message when running the installer or when trying to launch the application itself?  Finally has it ever worked on this computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.6.8 I have LR2 and just tried to upgrade last night. It appears that LR4 needs a multi core processor and not just dual core.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of processor do you have?  You can find this under the Apple Menu>About This Mac.  I have ran Lightroom 4 successfully on an 2.8ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2GHz Intel Core Duo

2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mine is 32 yours is 64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes it isn't the number of cores Lightroom 4 does require a 64-bit processor for Mac OS.  http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/tech-specs.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mac version 10.5.8 2.8 GHz Intel Core Duo and I can't opne Lightroom 4. I don't get any error message. I just double click on the Installer and nothing happens.

All help most appreciated.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You system doesnt meet the system requirement .

check http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/tech-specs.edu.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks very much indeed. That at least explains the problem ŠŠKen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found out that indeed I do have a 64 bit processor. Still will not install after being told to download again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Janitbtinaj you were correct the first time that you have a 32-bit processor unless you have obtained a different computer?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Snow Leopard and was told that in fact I do have a 64 bit processor - I was previously given the wrong info on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have an Intel Core 2 Duo then instead of an Intel Core Duo? Snow Leopard required an Intel processor - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A.  Where as Lion requires a 64-bit processor - http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html which is why they list the Intel Core 2 Duo as the minimum for the processor.

I agree it is a bit confusing especially since the naming is so similar.  If you do have an Intel Core Duo processor then it would be expected that you would receive the error message about not being able to run on this processor type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is :

2GHz Intel Core Duo

2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Snow Leopard is the key I was told

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Lightroom 4 does require 10.6.8 although we see a different error message if you don't meet the minimum operating system requirements.  I am sorry janitbtinaj but you were correct the first time about having a 32-bit processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can u double check as the last info I got was from a tech on the phone after having problems finding a download for LR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been. I would recommend reviewing the following links:

Information about your Intel Core Duo which is code named Yonah - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

Lightroom 4 system requirements - http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/tech-specs.html

System requirements for Snow Leopard - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A

System Requirements for Lion - http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

checked the specs and I do have 10.6.8 and was told that an Intel Core Duo was a multi core?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct but Lightroom 4 also requires a 64-bit processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 questions then. Where do I find that info on my computor as I don't even see that it's a 32. Also, where to find LR3 as you no longer sell it - which, by the way I think is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't appear that Apple provides that information through the built-in utilities.  You can find a bit more information on your exact model of Mac by going to the Apple Menu>About This Mac and clicking on More Info.  Under the hardware overview it will list your model identifier which you can cross reference with a Google search to find more details about your computer.

As for Lightroom 3 I can't make any specific recommendations but I would advise that you double check the return policy for the company you do purchase it from.  That way if you run into any problems with the software you can return the product successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Jeff. Thanks for your time. I do have to say that I've really had a hard time navigating this upgrade - many different answers given and then contradicted. Your online customer service seems more succinct. I had a phone tech take over my computer for over an hour before I had to leave the house. He rescheduled only to later disappear entirely. I find it very hard to understand why he wouldn't know that I had the wrong processor when he was in and out of so many areas of my computer trying to get it to work. The next one told me I had a 32 bit, the next one said I had a 64 bit and to download it again. I am a loyal Adobe customer who now feels left out in the cold if I don't buy a new computer when I have a great computer that works great with all other programs - except now Adobe I guess. The crossover could be a bit more consumer friendly - less coercive. It's a slippery slope once trust is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines