5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 9:54 AM by jeffc2010

robohelp 9 conditional tag expression: help me write the expression

jeffc2010 Level 1

I'm kind of stumped about how to get the expression i need. May i have some help please?

I want to generate a doc that has everything untagged as well as everything tagged B.

i want this doc to exclude content tagged "A" unless that same content has also been tagged "B" such that if i generate "B" it will include the content that has the dual tag.

• 1. Re: robohelp 9 conditional tag expression: help me write the expression
          RoboColum(n) Level 5

If I understand you, you have some content that has no tags, some that is tagged with "A", some that is tagged with "B" and some that is tagged with both "A" and "B". Your expression works by EXCLUDING content with the tags you specify. However again if I understand you correctly, I think you only need to use one tag and exclude that tag from your output. Remember that untagged output is automatically included.

• 2. Re: robohelp 9 conditional tag expression: help me write the expression
            jeffc2010 Level 1

thank you for replying to my question. I think i should include more info:

The robohelp project generates documentation for the following products:

Product A

Product B

and OEM C, D, E

To create doc C used to be fine: NOT A and NOT D and NOT E

However now C needs to include some pieces of A.   So I applied both conditional tags A and C to those pieces

my expression fails because it is: include C and exclude A (but i want the A that has the dual tags A,C)

Can i write an expression that is essentially like this:  include AC AND NOT A

I realize i can create a new tag for these pieces, but then it's getting complicated to keep track of "what did i tag?" and "how does it apply when we add more OEMs?" and it starts getting too convoluted.

• 3. Re: robohelp 9 conditional tag expression: help me write the expression
              Anil Padia

I am trying to give answer to your original question:

I want to generate a doc that has everything untagged as well as everything tagged B.

i want this doc to exclude content tagged "A" unless that same content has also been tagged "B" such that if i generate "B" it will include the content that has the dual tag.

Can't it be done by this expression: B

The expression 'B' shall include all the content tagged as B (irrespective of whether the same content has been tagged as A as well). Untagged content is always included.

Please correct me If I did not understand it right.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: robohelp 9 conditional tag expression: help me write the expression
                Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

I hope Anil will not mind me adding that to specify a tag to be included, you need to click the Advanced button in the Build Expression dialog and specify B in the lower part of the dialog.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 5. Re: robohelp 9 conditional tag expression: help me write the expression
                  jeffc2010 Level 1

Yes, by using the "advanced" feature of conditional expression builder, I added only the B and C tag (based on my in depth example above) and it generated what I wanted. Somehow, I had assumed every tag had to be part of the expression. I think i got that impression from the way the "Basic" feature is set up (every tag is either included or excluded). Thank you Anil and Peter for your help.