Exit

can't save PDF from Internet Explorer embedded Adobe Reader

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2010 Mar 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of our clients use an application to digitally distribute and

approve incoming invoices.  The scanned invoices (PDF's) are

visualised in the webbased application by using the embedded Adober Reader 9.0 in Internet Explorer 8.0.

While there is no problem printing PDF's, on some pc's it is impossible to save a PDF.  When you click on the save icon, nothing happens.

This issue has been resolved on some pc's by reinstalling Adobe Reader, but not on others.

Does anyone know what causes this problem and how it can be resolved?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2010 Mar 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thomas-

I have the same problem...

New computer  - Windows 7 Adobe Reader 9.3 the save buttoin does NOTHING!

Old computer - Windows XP - Adobe Reader ver 8 - same online statements - no problem!

I uninstalled Adobe 9 and re-installed the program - no change.  It will print fine but not save the file.

Called Adobe customer service ... spent 16 minutes on hold wiating for a representative-

Finally got a person - she was of NO HELP WHATSOEVER other than to direct me to this forum.

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2010 Mar 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay...

I FINALLY managed to locate and download the OLDER version of Adobe Reader -  ver 8.0 -  and that WORKED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with latest Reader 9.3.3 and it happens inside IE8.

For some reason I can save small reports but not more than couple pages.

Downgrade is not an option for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2010 Jul 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows Explorer 8 and Vista Home Premium 64 bit on two pcs. I can save all downloaded pdf files on one, but can't save my bank statements and credit card statments on the other. I can save pdf files that aren't from protected sites. I have installed all updates to no avail.

I can save my bank statements if I turn off the protected mode, but can't get in to my credit card accounts with the protected mode off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.

This problem seems to be popping up on a lot of sites.

Adobe!  Hello, anyone home?

Win7, Office 2007, Acrobat Reader 9.3.3

Thanks in advance for a solution.

dlowrey1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2010 Oct 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered the same problem after getting a new computer running Win7 64bit, Office2010, Adobe 9.4.0 MUI...Microsoft store installed the latest Adobe Reader version.  I don't know what MUI is, stands for, etc... All I know, is until I got this new computer, I could open any pdf and do a 'save as'...and now I can't! Is there a solution here Adobe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 20, 2010 Oct 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader MUI is Adobe's Multilingual User Interface version. This product is capable of installing any combination of supported languages.It is different from normal reader.I need to know few things before I can help you:

1.Now,are you not able to save ANY pdf or only some specific pdf?

2.Is the Save as option disabled?

3.Are you able to  save pdf when you open them directly in Reader.Do one thing,open any pdf in Adobe Reader and just try to do "Save as" for it.Now close Reader and open same pdf in Internet explorer and try to save it from there.Please let me know the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is exactly what I did and still nothing.  The save option had disappeared from both the web based reader as well as the desktop one.  I went into the settings and changed it for the desktop one to bring back the save option.  I even restarted my pc after that to see if it will have any effect on the web based one.  But nothing.  This is getting really frustrating now

For me, the problem is present in both IE and Chrome.  My OS - Win 7  32 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can save a pdf file from the Adobe Reader program...it IS when downloading a pdf from the internet.  A simple task that we've all done millions of times, doing a save or save as from a downloaded pdf.  I use IE8.  I did just discover that it's not every site! It's most frustrating when attempting to save my business' bank statements! Something I've done for years.  Is there something that can be done?  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having same problem with inability to save from some sites - especially utility statements.  I had Adobe Reader 9 and just upgraded to Reader X.  When I open statements online now, I CAN save them as pdfs.  You don't see the "normal" pdf menu (like the Save icon) but if you go to the top menu, you can do a Save As.

Vista, IE 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2010 Dec 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a kludge ...

If you have an "Send page by email..." option on your "Page" menu, and click that, a blank email message with the PDF as an attachment *may* be created, depending on your email tool. You may well be able to save that attachment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have this problem too,i don't know what happen .internet explorer or the Adobe??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally figured out MY problem...3 months ago, when I purchased my new computer...I paid to have my information migrated to my new computer. I had a LOT of problems that kept cropping up. Took it back, took them 4 days - got it back, everything is working fine -I can save every pdf now! So my problem was the transfer - someone screwed up big time on my computer! Hope everyone gets their problem fixed.

Michelle Brubeck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2010 Dec 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem got resolved by uninstalling all Adobe components, restarting the

machine and giving a fresh start to installing the Adobe components.

Now everything is working fine

Upcominggeek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2010 Dec 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem but it only happens with some PDF files. The disk icon does not display and the File/Save As option doesn't do anything.

However, if I launch IE 8 with the Run as Administrator option I can save the file as expected.

I sure hope this problem gets fixed soon as it is a pain.

Emery

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2010 Dec 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No tool bars, menus etc show up, just the form. The mouse turns into a hand and has either an up arrow or down arrow depending on whether you've moved to the last section of the form or back to the top. Right-click, or left-click, either one only moves you to another section of the form; you don't get a related menu, options, or anything else that is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2010 Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem that started when I upgraded to Reader X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 18, 2011 Jan 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although not a direct solution, I found a solution today.  In the source of the PDF (before opening pdf.) right click on download link, & select save as to your desired location.  It's an end around, but it works.  It would be nice if Adobe would address this issue.  My files are supposed to be printable according to the properties in the PDF Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2011 Feb 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same problems with bank statements using Vista.  After reading the posts on this forum, I upgraded to Reader X.  The floating menu save button still does not work, but "shift+control+s" does work.  I made the mistake of checking "do not show this message again" in response to the statement about not not saving any changes, and the shortcut would no longer work. So I uninstalled and reinstalled reader X and now working again only with the shift+control+s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the problem of not being able to save some PDFs opened in IE8 using Adobe Reader X ("save" button was greyed out on the toolbar); also tried upgrading to IE9 (running on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, but had the same problem running in XP virtual mode).  It seems that PDFs open using an Adobe Plug-in rather than the full program by default.  To solve the problem, I opened up the Adobe Reader, went to "edit", "preferences", then unchecked the "display PDF in browser" box of the "internet" tab.  Now when opening a PDF in IE, the "save" icon is still greyed out, but since the full Reader is open I have the toolbar at the top and can click on "file", "save as".  (Note in IE9, when you click on the PDF link you will first be asked if you want to open or save.  If you just chose "save" the document will automatically be placed in your "downloads" folder).  I hope this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2011 Jul 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As one poster points out below, this continuing problem with Adobe Acrobat 9 can be worked around by changing the default for how pdf files from the web are displayed.  Go to  Edit>Preferences>Internet  uncheck the box that says Display PDF in Browser.  The web pdf file will now appear in Acrobat.  The save file button will still not function but under the file menu, select Save As, and the file can be successfully saved.

I don't know if this has been fixed in Adobe Acrobat 10, but the fact that Adobe have not bothered to provide a fix for version 9 says a lot about how they see the relation between profit and the responsibility to fix defects they have created and sold to consumers on an "as is" basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2011 Aug 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem.  I get around it by printing the file as a PDF, but it's incredible that Adobe has not fixed this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2011 Oct 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I go to   Edit>Preferences>Internet   and uncheck the box that says Display PDF in Browser. However, once I leave the preferences, it automatticaly goes back to a check in that box. I can't find any APPLY or similar button to make the uncheck stick. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2011 Sep 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I have Win 7 64bit as well, and I have the same problem.

A pain when you're doing research and opening lots of browser windows

with PDFs in em.

What I've found is that this is an Internet explorer issue.

Everything works perfectly fine in Firefox.

You can save, print, the works, with no problems.

Looks like Microsoft have to do something with IE.

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines