4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2012 10:53 PM by johndwight RSS

Exporting FLA to AVI/MOV

Sunrider69 Community Member

I'm creating a short promotional video which has been created in Flash. I've broken it down into modules for easy editing and then want to export them individually into a video file so I can stitch them all together in a suitable video editing software to create one video.

I've done this however the output quality is pretty low. It needs to be displayed on a 42" monitor at a trade show so quality is an issue. Can anyone advise me on the best settings in Flash for optimum video export quality or indeed offer any other advice that'll provide me with the output I require.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Exporting FLA to AVI/MOV
          sinious MVP

Other than get a proper video CGI app like After Effects? Probably the only thing you can do is hope you used a lot of vector graphics which will upscale fairly gracefully. If you used a lot of bitmaps you're pretty much up the creek, especially if you didn't even do it at least 1280x720. You'd have to go back and retool any tiny bitmaps or they will simply get blurry as heck.

During exporting you can choose any resolution you want. You can choose 1920x1080 if you wish. Just export your movie at 1920x1080 and take a look at it. If it's acceptable then you need not do anything else.

In the future, definitely start with the highest possible resolution you may need. It's standard in video to produce in at or above the resolution of your target (typically larger) and then reduce size. It has a nice smoothing effect and you'll never be in this situation again.

• 2. Re: Exporting FLA to AVI/MOV
            Sunrider69 Community Member

Yeah, I figured as much. MOVs also seem to export much better than AVI's. The project is complete now (it was mostly text/vector) and it looks OK. Thanks for the input.

• 3. Re: Exporting FLA to AVI/MOV
              sinious MVP

Glad you got it to work!

• 4. Re: Exporting FLA to AVI/MOV
                johndwight Community Member

Actually, you can use a third-party tool like moyea or sothink to convert swf to HD video.