Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player Issue

Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a huge problem and I cannot seem to get this resolved.  I am using Windows 7 Professional (64-bit).  I updated to the new version of Flash Player 11.1.102.63, but something went wrong.  I uninstalled Flash Player, but one file will not uninstall.  Nor can I delete it.

File: Flash11g.ocx

File location:  C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\

I tried using Malwarebytes to delete the file, access denied.  I tried unlocker, does not work.  I tried Lock Hunter and it does not work.  I tried renaming the file, that does not work.  I tried cmd.exe and tried del command and it does not work.

So before I install Flash Player 11.1.102.63 again for both Internet Explorer and Firefox, how to I get rid of this sole file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reboot after running the uninstaller?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and I cannot delete the file.  I also tried going in to sae mode and still I cannot delete the file.  It says "Access Denied" and then says that I need permission from the administrator to delete this.  My profile, I am an administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The administrator account is a step up from an administrator account.  Try activating the administrator account to try to delete the file.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vist...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, did this and logged in as the admin.  Still same issue, cannot delete.  Here is a screenshot.  I did change the name of the file, trying to delete that way though

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the post before this one, you can see the extra file in the System32 location.  The file name was "Flash11g.ocx", but I changed the name to "58the.ocx" to try to delete it, no joy though.

I thought I would show you both locations and the files in them.  Here is a Windows 7 system (Computer A) where everything looks fine.  In the SysWOW64 location you can see the file "Flash11g.ocx".  In the System32 you can see there are only 3 files and the 'Flash11g.ocx' is not there.  But again, look at the above post before this one and you can see there are 4 files, not three.  That extra file called '58the.ocx' is the flash11g.ocx file which I cannot get rid of.

System32 Folder.PNG

SysWOW64 Folder.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so I got it fixed.  To share;

1. Go to Adobe and get downloads first.  I put them on my desktop
  2. unistalled all flash players using the uninstall tool for flash player uninstall
  3. any left overs at any of these locations are deleted (except the one that cannot be deleted, the Flash11g.ocx in the wrong folder location)
  4. I have Comodo Program Manager, ran uninstall there as well which rids the registry entires of these flash players.
  5. Checked in the control panel uninstall area just to make sure all entries are gone
  6. Cut the Flash11g.ocx file from the wrong folder to the desktop for now.  Both folder locations are now completely empty
  7. reboot
  8. Ran Auslogic Registry Cleaner to locate any other entries that may have not been caught and also used CCleaner registry cleaner for added measure
  9. Once all has been done, I cut the Flash11g.ocx from the Desktop and pasted it to the correct folder location, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash folder
  10. Now I installed ONLY the ActiveX download and it installs right over the Flash11g.ocx file.  The system32 location at this point is still empty
  11. Once the ActiveX is in the clear, then installed the "Plug in" Flash Player which will install in both locations

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

DONE, yippieeeeee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AirPower4ever wrote:

The system32 location at this point is still empty

That is not good; it means you don't have the 64-bit player.

On Windows 7 x64 you should always use the 64-bit installers;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines