Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Location of installations?

Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) and my understanding is that there are two folders for 32-bit and 64-bit files for Flash Player to install

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

Now what I understand is that if Flash Player is for 32-bit, it should go in to the System32 location.  If it is 64-bit, it should go in the SysWOW64 location.

So if this is true (and I am not sure), then when I download Flash Player for Internet Explorer (and what downloads says it is flashplayer_11_ax_debug_32bit), all the files end up in the SysWOW64 location.  Is this okay?

The reason I ask is because for the Flash Player for Firefox, Adobe website scans my browser and says that I will be downloading the 64-bit version, I download and then install.  This one for Firefox installs in both System32 and the SysWOW locations.  To me that makes sense because it will put files in both locations in case I use a 32-bit version or 64-bit version browser.

But for Interenet Explorer, for Windows 7 I have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the browser.  I would think that if I install this Flash Player that it TOO will install in both folder locations, but it does not.

So I am just asking if that is what is suppose to do, just wondering because I watched where the files go and noticed this.  Can someone let me know if that is by design?  32-bit activeX is suppose to go in the SysWOW location?  Or do I have some sort of problem?  Or it is not a problem?

Thank you

Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now what I understand is that if Flash Player is for 32-bit, it should go in to the System32 location. If it is 64-bit, it should go in the SysWOW64 location.

On a 64-bit system, 32-bit FP files go to SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash and 64-bit FP files go to System32\Macromed\Flash.

So I am just asking if that is what is suppose to do, just wondering because I watched where the files go and noticed this. Can someone let me know if that is by design? 32-bit activeX is suppose to go in the SysWOW location? Or do I have some sort of problem? Or it is not a problem?

You installed the debug version of ActiveX Flash Player, which is only in 32-bit.  I suggest a clean install: How do I do a clean install of Flash Player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if it is a 32-bit ActiveX, then it goes in the SysWOW64 location.

So the Firefox one, it puts the files in both locations.  Is that okay then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are on 64-bit Windows 7, you should use the 64-bit installers (that will install both 64-bit & 32-bit Flash Player).

However, the debug player comes only as a 32-bit version - is there any reason that you need the debug player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines