11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 3:46 PM by markjreynolds1992

Can't open any video files anymore

markjreynolds1992 Level 1

Had no issues and then suddenly any video file that I bring in won't show up but instead I get a grey box with a red and green arrow.  If I double click I get a box to find the file again but even if I point to the file again it dosn't show up. If I try to drag and drop on the timeline i get a message that it can't find the file even though the file exists and will open in Windows, Quicktime, etc.

• 1. Re: Can't open any video files anymore
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When you Open your PrE Project, do you get a pop-up, asking "Where is file _____ ?"

Do you get any "Media Offline" warnings?

If you go to Get Media, and Import another file, of the same type, does that place the file in the Project Panel?

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't open any video files anymore

No, I can open a project without any pop-up or warnings. When I go to get media and import a file that's when I have a problem. The file dosn't show up, just the grey box with the arrows in it.

• 3. Re: Can't open any video files anymore
              the_wine_snob Level 9

So, when using Get Media, nothing happens?

What are the specs. of these files, both format and CODEC?

Where are they located on your system, and internal HDD, an external HDD, a NAS, or other networked device?

Did the Get Media ever function properly for you? Sounds like it did, but just started having issues.

If it did work fine, but does not now, what changes have you made to either hardware, or installed/uninstalled software?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can't open any video files anymore

Well, when I use Get Media the box where I used to see the start of the video I get a grey box with the red and green semi circular arrows. I've trying bringing in a few different video files (mpg, mp4, avi), all located on my internal hard drive. I even tried a mp3. 

Yes, Get Media worked fine and then suddenly later the same day it wouldn't work anymore. I don't recall if any other software was installed or more likley updated at that time. This happend about 3 weeks ago and I just got back to it. First thing i did was reinstall Pre and also Quicktime and K-Lite. No luck with any of that though.

• 5. Re: Can't open any video files anymore
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive?

One of the chief reasons the program might suddenly stop working right is because there's not enough free space for the program to open up and spread out. (You'll need between 30 and 50 gigs minimum.)

It can also help to run Advanced System Care Free's Deep Care tune-up, which clears out a lot of invisible junk files.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

• 6. Re: Can't open any video files anymore
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, was K-Lite added between when it worked, and when it quit working?

The reason that I ask is that some of its components have been known to cause issues with some Adobe programs. One component, FFDShow, has killed display of Clips in Adobe Premiere Pro. However, others here seem to have no issues with it, and PrE.

For that "gray box," have you updated your video driver to the latest version from nVidia, or ATI/AMD? If not, I would do that immediately, and test. Do not trust Windows to tell you, if you have the latest driver. Compare the installed driver version/date, with the latest one for your video card/chip, and OS, on the mfgr's. Web site.

Good luck, and thank you for the information.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can't open any video files anymore

I have 86gb free but havn't defragmented or run Advanced System Care on this computer yet. K-Lite was previously on the computer when Pre was working.

I'll check again for the nVidia GeForce 310M driver. There is a much newer driver on nVidia's site that I did try to install yesterday but got the message that it wasn't compatible. I'll check again to make sure I have the latest verson from Dell.

• 8. Re: Can't open any video files anymore

The hard drive is on auto defrag. Video driver has a slgihtly higher number than on the Dell site for my model which is a bit strange. Is there any way to force an install the latest from nVidia or is this a bad idea?

When I bring in a video file, like I said, it dosn't show the video but it's a grey box with the arrows in it. If I double click on that box it asks me to find the file again. If i click on the file again, I get the following message "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed". Dosn't mater what kind of video or audio file it is.  Those files do work in other video or audio programs on the computer.

• 9. Re: Can't open any video files anymore
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

As you have a Dell, you will want to go with their latest driver, as they, HP and some others, re-wrap the nVidia and ATI/AMD drivers to work with their computers, and their versions of Windows.

Now, when you mention "auto defrag," is it safe to assume that you are doing this on a one-time basis, and that you are not using an auto defrag utility, while trying to edit?

Lets take one example of a Video file that is failing. What CODEC is used in that file?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Can't open any video files anymore
                            nealeh Level 5

markjreynolds1992 wrote:

Is there any way to force an install the latest from nVidia or is this a bad idea?

A previous poster with a Toshiba posted how he installed a generic driver. If I recall it was

• Uninstall the graphics driver.
                            • Remove the display driver from Device Manager.
                            • Reboot declining prompts to install a driver.
                            • Run the generic installer program.

I'll see if I can find the original post, I had it in my clipboard manager but that has the unfortunate habit of killing off its database every few months

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Can't open any video files anymore

My windows 7 defrag is scheduled to run once a week in the middle of the night.

I have 3 cameras I use but one looks like this is the codec; avc1 H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

I can't even open video's that have been edited and saved as MPEG2 from Pre.