4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2012 7:21 PM by Stix Hart RSS

Repeat text

Stix Hart Community Member

For making labels I want to be able to type a line of text in one place on the page and have it appear in 23 other places, like this:

1.png

I've seen it done before but for the life of me I can't remember what the feature is called!  Google isn't helpful either...

• 1. Re: Repeat text
          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Perhaps a custom text variable, or maybe a linked story.

• 2. Re: Repeat text

Yes, I'm thinking of linked stories, only available in CS5.5, I'm in CS5.   Sigh..  Bring on CS6 or CSnext or "The New CS" or whatever it's going to be called.

• 3. Re: Repeat text
              peter at knowhowpro Community Member

Stix Hart wrote:

For making labels I want to be able to type a line of text in one place on the page and have it appear in 23 other places, like this:

1.png

I've seen it done before but for the life of me I can't remember what the feature is called!  Google isn't helpful either...

Multiple cross-references pointing to a single source can do this. Change the source text and update the references for new label sets.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 4. Re: Repeat text

Yes, but a step and repeat, particularly with the grid feature in CS5, is quicker.  It would be debatable whether it would be quicker than a linked story as well but I can't compare it here.