4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 7:21 PM by Stix Hart

Repeat text

Stix Hart Level 5

For making labels I want to be able to type a line of text in one place on the page and have it appear in 23 other places, like this:

1.png

I've seen it done before but for the life of me I can't remember what the feature is called!  Google isn't helpful either...

• 1. Re: Repeat text
          Peter Spier MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Perhaps a custom text variable, or maybe a linked story.

• 2. Re: Repeat text
            Stix Hart Level 5

Yes, I'm thinking of linked stories, only available in CS5.5, I'm in CS5.   Sigh..  Bring on CS6 or CSnext or "The New CS" or whatever it's going to be called.

• 3. Re: Repeat text
              peter at knowhowpro Level 4

Stix Hart wrote:

For making labels I want to be able to type a line of text in one place on the page and have it appear in 23 other places, like this:

1.png

I've seen it done before but for the life of me I can't remember what the feature is called!  Google isn't helpful either...

Multiple cross-references pointing to a single source can do this. Change the source text and update the references for new label sets.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Repeat text
                Stix Hart Level 5

Yes, but a step and repeat, particularly with the grid feature in CS5, is quicker.  It would be debatable whether it would be quicker than a linked story as well but I can't compare it here.