Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print driver host for 32bit applications has stopped working

Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1 64 bit

Adobe Acrobat 10.1.2

When I try to print a webpage in IE or Firefox to PDF format, I get a Window indicated in the subject header.  The details are:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BEX64
  Application Name: splwow64.exe
  Application Version: 6.1.7601.17514
  Application Timestamp: 4ce7b4c8
  Fault Module Name: ADUIGP.DLL
  Fault Module Version: 10.1.0.519
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4db4cdbb
  Exception Offset: 000000000000efb4
  Exception Code: c0000417
  Exception Data: 0000000000000000
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 3788
  Additional Information 2: 3788f53ec30c6f4a2a67fcde28b876c9
  Additional Information 3: e23c
  Additional Information 4: e23cf34f9ee45a6fe33cc06effe64070

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Any ideas?  This started happening a few days ago.  Nothing has changed.

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Kindly refer to mentioned link for print related crash in 10.1.2 - http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/928/cpsid_92870.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

24 views and no one has an answer???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is much worse than it appears at first glimpse!

1. It also occurs on my Win7 x64, no SP1, under Acrobat 9, ADUIGP.DLL, version 9.2.0.112. For example when PDF printing from a browser. So it appears be deeper in the code and not specific to Acrobat 9/10 or Win 7 SP1 or no SP1.

2. As Adobe is patching sometimes it is getting better, sometimes worse, on and off for about a year. This round is is really horrible. I am certain more people have the same issue. The application (browser) I use, can do print 1-2 times, then printing locks.

2. Workaround: Kill splwow64.exe (32bit to 64 bit print mapping), restart printer spooler service, restart application, print 1-2 times, repeat.

Adobe: Please fix this or at least provide an open/honest explanation what is going on.

Anyone else: If you have the same issue, please post here so it becomes more obvious that there is an issue.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 12, 2012 Feb 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. Workaround: Kill splwow64.exe (32bit to 64 bit print mapping), restart printer spooler service, restart application, print 1-2 times, repeat.

Your suggestion works fine.  But obviously not somethign I wanna do everytime.  So I've been using cutepdf writer to print to pdf ever since I posted my issue.

Just wish Adobe tech support would read out grief and look into our problem more closely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 13, 2012 Feb 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried repairing your Acrobat installation. First, delete all files inside "Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\..." and then repair Acrobat from Control Panel->Programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2012 Feb 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Vamalik,

1. Yes I have tried to repair Acrobat 9. It does not help. I am on the latest patch level for the extended version.

2. The issue is obviously not confined to Acrobat 10 (9 has it too).

3. If you would like my 2 cents: It is somewhere in the thread processing between Adobes Print drivers and the splwow64. I would run the Appliations( it is plural unfortunately) where this shows up in debug mode and try to catch the error thrown by the listed modules, e.g., ADUIGP.DLL.

With various patches recently deployed by Adobe, the gravity of the situation varies. Apparently this is a widespread issue reaching far further than this little discussion. It clearly does not affect all applications, e.g., several Microsoft apps with other printer drivers work just fine. However, there is one guarantee: As long as the quality of the software keeps degrading like this, there is no reason to build trust in online services or new "features". Clearly there is some homework to be done.  No reinstallation or "repair" fixes it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi datarimlens,

Has this problem started with just version 10.1.2 or are you experiencing this with any earlier version also?

The reason I am asking this again is that I have tried printing to PDF on my 64 bit Win7 and am not able to reproduce this issue anyhow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to vamalik, 9. Feb 29, 2012 5:22 AM:

1. Are you seriously asking me if the problem started with just version 10.1.2 or if I am experiencing ithis with any earlier version also?

Note:

a) My first reply clearly stated that I am experiencing the problem with Win7 x64, no SP1, under Acrobat 9, ADUIGP.DLL, version 9.2.0.112. is that version 10.1.2 or earlier????????? (2. Feb 7, 2012 5:02 PM (in response to ccslai))

b) ...  It certainly is not an issue with double sided printing being accidentally set for me with Acrobat 9 and PDF printing ...  If you check around, it clearly is a popular problem: "windows 7 Acrobat splwow64" has over 10k hits for problems on Google, mosty from 2011.... 

Is that version 10.1.2 or earlier??????? (4. Feb 8, 2012 4:30 AM (in response to vamalik))

c) ... 2. The issue is obviously not confined to Acrobat 10 (9 has it too).... Is that version 10.1.2 or earlier??????? (7. Feb 13, 2012 6:06 AM (in response to vamalik))

Let me clearly also state my frustration:

a) I had purchase the extended Acrobat version, and will lose features going to 10. Adobe does not honor if I have more than 2 products to upgrade to a suite, so I won't. I am with cclai's complaint about the stability of the software getting worse than it used to be.

b) I clearly provided a technically applicable and viable shor term patch for the problem

c) I would like to officially apply for consulting and obtain compensation if I need to explain in 3+ answers (on a single page) to an employee, i.e., how to read customer emails and technically correctly interpret them.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply my problem was solved

Printing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kindly refer to mentioned link for print related crash in 10.1.2 - http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/928/cpsid_92870.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious if this is the issue that solves the problem for ccslai in Acrobat Reader 10. It certainly is not an issue with double sided printing being accidentally set for me with Acrobat 9 and PDF printing. It behaves more like a thread locking up. If you check around, it clearly is a popular problem: "windows 7 Acrobat splwow64" has over 10k hits for problems on Google, mosty from 2011. It could be an issue between 32bit and 64bit, since it appears to clear up issues for Office going to 64bit versions. ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2012 Feb 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran into the same issue and it doesn't look like there is a fix right now. Just download a free print to pdf program for now until the problem is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here I have a product that I've WASTED $450 or whatever money on it because:

1.  The product is not working as it should

2.  Adobe support reads people's grief and doesn't give a damn or even attempt to look into it, thinking that the issue will go away on its own

Seriously, why does Adobe even have a SUPPORT FORUM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be very clear, this is absolutely not an Adobe Support forum. It is a User-to-User forum for individual users of Adobe products to mutually assist each other. that is not officially monitored by Adobe and is not an official function of Adobe Technical Support. If you want to communicate with Adobe Technical Support, please contact them directly.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dov,

thanks for your time, point well taken.

However from experience in a several decade long career in computer related engagements, and again with all due respect:

- This is a user forum for mutual support.

- Adobe offers paid support for issues with their software. Typically that requires today well replicatable bugs and issues so they can be fixed in an expedited, well tracked fashion.

- A mutual user support forum is a part of the company's eco-system that may permit to pick up other emerging concerns and issues with a product, to discover new desired features, etc. It therefore offers a window of opportunity to discover emerging things that may not be well replicated yet.

- For employees of the company it is also an opportunity to build confidence in the company support so users trust paid support to solve problems quickly.

- In this context and the problem here may not be well reproduced yet, but appears to have a broader impact. Who at Adobe would be most interested in solving it?

- To ponder as related: how did the notion about bugs in Flash software affect Adobe's reputation? Were they  quickly solved by paid support? Was the problem addressed proactively?

For the record: I find myself often enough in situations defending Acrobat/PDF, so I certainly only wish the Adobe products to be the best they can be.

Thank you again for your help and for participating in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be very clear, this is absolutely not an Adobe Support forum. It is a User-to-User forum for individual users of Adobe products to mutually assist each other. that is not officially monitored by Adobe and is not an official function of Adobe Technical Support. If you want to communicate with Adobe Technical Support, please contact them directly.

How can a user assist other users when it seems that the issue is specific to the Adobe product???  What is the user supposed to do???  Offer a TEMPORARY fix?  Isn't it Adobe responsibility to come up with a PERMANENT  solution and post the solution somewhere (either here or in a KB or get a patch out or something)???  As someone has stated, googling has come up with tonnes of other users experiencing similar issue.  Either Adobe doesn't understand or this company doesn't give a crap.

If this forum board isn't monitored by Adobe, why have it?

If I call Adobe Tech Support up and I pay for the support, will they actually get this issue fixed or will they just keep the ticket open and hope that they won't hear from me again?

Going on Trend Micro or Dell or Computer Associates forum boards, the tech support people there have bee nothing but good people when it comes to offering solution.  Adobe Support forum, on the other hand, has been way in the dumps.

The company I work for has 500+ copies of Acrobat and we are definitely not going Adobe again in the future...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ccslai,

Couple of questions:

1. Are you facing this problem in converting every site or with some sites it is working fine also?

2. I have faced this either with some specific sites or when i am printing sites to PDF in parallel (i.e. printing 2nd site even when first one is not over). Can you share some of your sites which you printed to PDF?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be random.  One site may work once, then other times it craps out and vice versa.  There's no pattern whatsoever.

Just did a google search of " splwow64.exe adobe acrobat" out of curiosity.  9340 results...and Adobe still doesn't care...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be wrong to say that Adobe doesn't care.

This is problem of 32bit apps on 64bit OS. And the root of this issue needs to be fixed by Microsoft.

It just that Acrobat is 32bit app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody had this resolved...?

We are using Windows 7 Pro and Adobe Acrobat 9

We are getting the error:

Print driver host for 32bit applications has stopped working

It only happens with PDF's send in from other peaple which are created using Xerox Workcentre or Canon iR-ADV C7065.

All other PDF printing and Word printing etc works fine.

The same PDF's print fine on an XP machine with the same Adobe Acrobat 9 software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggestion: check your print drivers are up to date. If they are, please post the exact driver you are using here; it might help people discover a pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try to work around this by:

1. Killing the splwow64.exe and restarting the spoolsv.exe service.

2. The only printing that has issues with the dirver is Adobe's.

3. No, updating to the latest printer drivers does not help, it is Adobe's PDF driver and updated together with other Acrobat updates. I am not holding my breath that Adobe will ever address it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have also been experiencing this ever since upgrading to Windows 7 SP1 x64 and AdobeCS5.5 and Acrobat 10x all version thru 10.2.1.  We have made the recommended change to the time in which splwow64 process times out but to no eval. After printing 2-3 PDF's to a Xerox printer with the latest driver attached to a network print server running Windows 2008 R2 we get this;

Print driver host for 32bit applications has stopped working.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH

Application Name:                             splwow64.exe

Application Version:                           6.1.7601.17514

Application Timestamp:                     4ce7b4c8

Fault Module Name:                          x2utilGT.dll

Fault Module Version:                        5196.1000.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp:                  4d5d4238

Exception Code:                                  c0000005

Exception Offset:                                0000000000037e81

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional Information 1:                  91f6

Additional Information 2:                  91f61deda7d90b22e28c0c1d68e1c844

Additional Information 3:                  a5a7

Additional Information 4:                  a5a772e1c83123e50d12b16dfc1e5403

The only work around is to kill the process splwow64.exe if running close the PDF then uninstall and reinstall the printer open the PDF and then you can print.  I have an office full of very unhappy users who print form PDF to these printer often.  I hate to answer I know it's a known problem but Adobe or MS evidently does not want to own it and actually fix it.  With the money we spend on these applications and maintenance it is nothing less than distgusting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear User,

I would request you to try printing using any other third party application like Notepad/Word. If you are still getting this error then this can be an issue either with printer driver or Microsoft.

Kindly refer to the links below to confirm:

http://www.techerator.com/2010/10/fix-print-driver-host-for-32bit-applications-has-stopped-working-e...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/unable-to-print-print-driver-hos...

http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1357469.htm

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear sonal2890:

could you please help to clarify:

"I would request you to try printing using any other third party application like Notepad/Word. If you are still getting this error then this can be an issue either with printer driver or Microsoft."

- The issue is in my case specific to pdf print. It has nothing to do with using MS Word, notepad or similar. Notepad or word print just fine by themselves.

- Did you read the previous posts in this thread?

- Have you attempted to reproduce the problem?

- Are you suggesting to avoid using Adobe products to avoid the problem?

The issue is IMHO most likely not caused solely by MS but by the Adobe PDF printer driver interacting with splwow64. There could be an issue with Adobe's 64/32 bit handling involved. The code/paradigm could be one shared across various Adobe versions. Question: Is there any code shared between Acrobat 9 and 10 or are they completely distinct?

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines