1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 160 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2015 4:02 PM by TerTer46 Go to original post RSS
      • 120. Re: Document could not be printed
        akmsafiullah@live.com Community Member

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 05:27:29 -0600

To: akmsafiullah@live.com

Subject: Re: Document could not be printed

Windows 7 32 bits

Adobe Reader X 10.1.0

PDF/X-1a:2001 file created by Adobe Illustrator CS4 via Adobe PDF Printer on Mac OS X Leopard (Postscript + Distiller => PDF). There is absolutely no problem with this file checked by Acrobat Pro !!!!

Impossible to print on Windows 7. No problem on Mac OS X. No problem with other pdf apps.

I solve the problem today by unchecking the "Enable Protected Mode at startup" in Adobe Reader preferences + restart the application.

Edition » Preferences » General

Unecheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup" and restart Adobe Reader

>

• 121. Re: Document could not be printed
          akmsafiullah@live.com Community Member

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 05:27:29 -0600

To: akmsafiullah@live.com

Subject: Re: Document could not be printed

Windows 7 32 bits

Adobe Reader X 10.1.0

PDF/X-1a:2001 file created by Adobe Illustrator CS4 via Adobe PDF Printer on Mac OS X Leopard (Postscript + Distiller => PDF). There is absolutely no problem with this file checked by Acrobat Pro !!!!

Impossible to print on Windows 7. No problem on Mac OS X. No problem with other pdf apps.

I solve the problem today by unchecking the "Enable Protected Mode at startup" in Adobe Reader preferences + restart the application.

Edition » Preferences » General

Unecheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup" and restart Adobe Reader

>

• 122. Re: Document could not be printed
            Dawnender Community Member

Just wanted to add in my 2¢. I found that the edition that was opening PDF's was in fact not adobe reader X but was adobe reader 8, and that installation was messed up. I had installed X but it had not taken over control of PDF files for some reason. Adobe 8 was not in my add/remove programs list or anywhere I could find for that matter. I found out when going to "Help" and noticed it said "about adobe reader 8".

If you dont know how to set the default program for a file type, here are the steps for Win XP.

1)Find a file of the type you intend to set (in this case .PDF)

2)Right click on the file

3)Click properties

4)In the window that opens, click on the "Change..." button

5)In the window that opens there should be a list of various programs. You want to select "Adobe Reader"

6)Make sure the box in the bottom is checked that says "Always use the selected..."

7)Click OK, Click ok, try to reopen and print.

Hope that helps.

• 123. Re: Document could not be printed
              Plinka2 Community Member

I followed everything everyone suggested including

-Re-installing

-Change document properties

-Printing as image

-Did not install Foxit because that seemed like a band-aid solution

Found something that worked for me, so passing it along:

Stopping & restarting the Print Spooler local windows service. Worked for me on Windows7 x64.

(Also Rebooting helped.  "Have you tried turning it off and on again?")

• 124. Re: Document could not be printed
                mangosnap Community Member

What worked for me is removing the printers through Windows and then re-adding them. The Adobe Acrobat print message was mis-leading. Our network printers had been renamed and Windows didn't get the info. Removing and re-adding the network printers was the solution, as was mentioned in other comments here. Thanks!

• 125. Re: Document could not be printed
                  columbia93 Community Member

I updated to Adobe Reader 10 and now my PDFs won't print - any of them - so I feel comfortable that they are not corrupt. I have a couple of questions....

When I installed Adobe 10, why didn't Adobe 8 "go away"? I still have the Adobe Reader 8 file and my PDF properties says it is using the 8. Shouldn't all of that have changed to the 10?

I lwas ooking into the Adobe 10 folder to see if I could find something to direct my files to open with and couldn't find anything that looked like it would do the job.

It seems as though there are a lot of "solutions" in this thread but I don't want to do these until I know what the deal is with the 8 vs 10 folders being on my computer. I also don't want to add an extra program that forces it to work unless I've no other option.

Thanks in advance for any direction on this....

• 126. Re: Document could not be printed
                    thahaziyad Community Member

This is not at all abig deal !

First, check the problematic objects not dispalayed correctly in the adobe reader then go to Illustrator and expand  them before printing. Effects like gradient can be the cause. Inspect each and every object or text until you get the PDF correctly.

• 127. Re: Document could not be printed
                      Ben Frey Community Member

no offense, but you should read the thread before you make blanket statements like that. if it was a "problematic object" then people wouldn't be having trouble printing documents that had always printed in the past when they upgrade Acrobat, or they wouldn't be able to print them on another machine (which they often can), or it wouldn't print without issue using 3rd party software (which it often does).

The problem is the acrobat engine, because people with both Reader and Acrobat Pro of versions ranging from 8 to X have reported this same problem in a variety of scenarios with all manner of files, many times files generated with PDF-X compliance that will rip to a sensitive press, but won't print on a local machine. Mac and PC. Reader and Pro. v. 8, 9, and X. PDFs from Photoshop, Illustrator, MS Word, and InDesign. The only constant is Acrobat.

• 128. Re: Document could not be printed
                        DeSelder Community Member

I have an identical problem as the TS.

I think the cause of my problem is that the PDF has been edited with CutePDF Pro. After adding form fields and check boxes, I have not been able to print the document anymore. The messages are the same as the ones that have been discussed here.

For as far as I have been able to read in this thread, there is no solution for this... :-( Or am I missing something?

Some more information:

Windows 7 Professional x64

Fresh installation of Adobe Reader X

HP LaserJet 5200n

Drivers: UPD PCL5 and PCL6. Dedicated driver for this printer, also does not work.

I've printed the document without the form fields without any problems, but as soon as I edited it with CutePDF Pro, things go wrong.

Thanks!

• 129. Re: Document could not be printed
                          freefall Community Member

Printing PDF from Preview worked for me too. Thanks!

• 130. Re: Document could not be printed
                            columbia93 Community Member

I have uninstalled 10 and reinstalled 8. I can now print PDF's, although I do have to take extra steps now that I didn't have to prior to installing 10. There is obviously a problem with 10 and it is unfortunate that Adobe won't respond. It is also annoying that I've taken the time to come to the forum, search, revisit, etc., and no one from Adobe answered the questions I had - regarding the printing issue as well as the weirdness of the files.

• 131. Re: Document could not be printed
                              Claudio González MVP

This is a user to user forum, not a way of contacting Adobe...

• 132. Re: Document could not be printed
                                Claudio González MVP

Here there are several suggestion for getting Adobe's attention:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/943434?tstart=0

• 133. Re: Document could not be printed
                                  Mansfield-Info-Tech Community Member

We also experienced this problem on Adobe X, printing to one of our Engineering plotters, an HP Designjet 4000. We didn't have the problem under Adobe Reader, but when we installed the full version of Acrobat X, documents would no longer print on the Arch D paper roll we use for this plotter. I tried updating both Adobe and the HP DJ4000 driver to no avail. What finally worked for us was to  turn off the "Auto Portrait/Landscape" option in the Adobe print properties setup. We found that by manually selecting "landscape" mode the document would print successfully. I hope this helps others.

• 134. Re: Document could not be printed
                                    Billy Bollix Community Member

Foxit Fixed it for me

• 135. Re: Document could not be printed
                                      Tho-Lan004 Community Member

Same problem here.

But we could fix it:

please check the security settings for the folder %programfiles%\Adobe\Adobe Reader 10.0\Resource\CMap

the correct security settings for this folder should be:

Everyone: read and execute

SYSTEM: Full control

Administrators: read and execute

This worked for us.

• 136. Re: Document could not be printed
                                        Vibhav Athrey BM Community Member

We may face this issue if any third party PDF printers (Any printers apart from Adobe) are installed as well, try removing them all and check.

If you do not have any third party PDF printers installed try following the below steps.

1. Click on Start > type Services.msc and open the Services window.
                                             In the Services window choose to Start the " Printer Spooler"  service, if it is already started choose to restart it and then try printing.
                                            If you still face the same issue, follow Step 2.
                                        2. Check if the application is updated, if not launch the application and then click on Help > Check for Updates.

3. If Step 2 does not help re-install the application.

• 137. Re: Document could not be printed
                                          AnHoBe Community Member

Thanks, lesyeux - unchecking that option finally fixed the prob.

For german users:

Bearbeiten -> Voreinstellungen -> Allgemein -> Geschützten Modus beim Start aktivieren -> ausschalten

Adobe Reader X 10.1.4

• 138. Re: Document could not be printed
                                            TimH3221x Community Member

I solved this issue by installing NitroPDF reader.  I don't have a clue why installing another PDF reader would fix it Adobe Acrobat X, but it did.  Oh, and I didn't un-install X either.  Good luck young Padawan.

• 139. Re: Document could not be printed
                                              sudhan16 Community Member

I recently upgraded to Adobe Reader 11.0 and had similar issue.

I solved it by doing the following

Edit -> Preferences-> Documents -> View Documents in PDF/A mode ........Make it as "Never"

Restart your adobe reader and now you should be able to print.

• 140. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                altekro.com Community Member

A temporary fix for this problem:

1. email yourself the document.

2. Click view.

3. Enter in the information.

4. Right click and print.

5. Clicking change under destination. (Google Chrome)

6. Select PDF.

7. Save the document.

This is a problem with permissions and is very common.

Hope this helped.

• 141. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                  Machistmo Community Member

My FIX was to export the Document to word, open it in word and then save as a PDF again.  Printed like a charm after that. The error appeared to be in the PDF when it was created or when it was sent to me.

• 142. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                    Dawn Gwin Community Member

I have tried all the solutions suggested by other members. Tried printing on various printers in my studio. I have Adobe CC, therefore the latest versions of Adobe software, Mavericks newest updates, still I can no longer print a PDF file from either Adobe Reader OR Acrobat Pro, only from Preview. The PDF files that I have attempted to print were created in both InDesign and Illustrator, so Adobe would have to blame their own software since the fault is not in a defective PDF produced by third party. These PDFs were printing fine three weeks ago. Adobe, are you listening?

• 143. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                      max8699 Community Member

A solution that worked for me was in adobe reader go to file- print then select the printer to print to  then hit the advanced button next to the printer select area. Then select print as Image then click OK then print.

• 144. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                        Irtelli Community Member

I can only think that this is a compatibility problem with Adobe CC. I had this same problem, which went away of its own accord a couple of months' ago. This morning it's back. The printer isn't a network printer and there's nothing wrong with the PDF.

My solution is to print through Adobe Reader; although it isn't ideal it gets the job done. :-)

• 145. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                          yoda nuc Community Member

Give this a try:

1.     Click on 'file' located at the top left of your screen.

2.     Go down the list and select 'Print'.

3.     In the window that opens click on the "Advanced" button located next to printer name or at the bottom of the window.

4.     Click the box 'Print as image' and then click on the ok button. Click ok again.

This setting does not "save", therefore you must do this each time you want to print.

Hope this might work for you as it did for me.

• 146. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                            jsnsoto Community Member

I had the same problem with a user we have at my job. I recreated the Windows profile and that resolved the issue.

• 147. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                              rockyshaw19460712 Community Member

First let me state that this is my solution on a Macintosh running 10.7.5 and Acrobat Pro X (with all the latest updates).

This problem started for me just this last weekend. I have been to every so-called solution that I could find via a Google search and NONE of these "solutions" even by the self-tagged "experts" work. PERIOD!

I decided to follow one suggestion to install Acrobat Pro 9. However, instead of uninstalling Acrobat Pro X first, I left it installed.

During the initial startup of Acrobat 9 after installation I was offered the option of installing an Extra feature called Adobe PDF Printer which allows me to "Create Adobe PDF files from any application by printing to Adobe PDF Printer". I opted in to that extra.

Once Acrobat Pro 9 had started I tested it using one of the PDF files that had failed to print with the dreaded "No pages selected......" error messages. THE FILE PRINTED AS EXPECTED!

I then decided I would uninstall Acrobat Pro X, but on a whim decided to try to print the same PDF file that had just printed using Acrobat Pro 9 one more time. IT PRINTED!

All I can figure out is that somehow selecting the option to have Acrobat Pro 9 install the option for allowing other applications to create a PDF repaired something within the Mac operating system. Just a guess.

Hope this helps someone.

• 148. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                Ravinder Singh Community Member

Hello,

If you getting an error that document can not be printed and no pages are selected then please follow the steps mentioned below :

Go to Computer

Local Disc "C"

Program file (86)x

Adobe

Reader 11

Reader

Change the file name AcroRd32.exe to reader.exe and open it from the same location and try to print you will able to print.

• 149. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                  ldean79682279 Community Member

Just ran into this issue....My solution File/Print/Advanced/ then check Print as Image, click ok, then print.  Hope this helps!

• 150. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                    cj_250 Community Member

Experienced these errors on a friend's pc, but removing the faulting printer from Devices and Printers, and then adding it again solved the problem.

• 151. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                      prov-uk-mb Community Member

I was having this problem printing to a HP DesignJet 500 plotter only all other network printers were fine.

Below is the solution that worked for me.

Go to file > print > properties to display the HP driver settings

Click on the Services tab

Click troubleshooting menu and ensure that Enable SpoolSmart is checked

• 152. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                        ahltd Community Member

Thanks LarrryScott. Your suggestion worked perfectly for me.

• 153. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                          ardiann20595785 Community Member

My User has got same problem like that, I think there is problem with printer spooler.

This is what i did.

1. Open Run (Windows + r)

2. Type "services.msc"

3. Find "Printer Spooler" on the right tab and click it.

4. Click restart on the left tab.

5. After restarting try to print again.

Maybe can help.

• 154. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                            marisam63459822 Community Member

I have the same problem. It started after I installed the new Adobe DC Reader.

• 155. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                              vivianp2993020 Community Member

same as me , I was update adobe as some document cant be view ,then after I get this stupid problem it cause me 5 hours to do this **** tried all the solution still cant print, where my exam is in 4 days its really sucked me up.

• 156. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                                Dave_Oz Community Member

It is DISGRACEFUL that this problem is still festering after so long. (Sorry about the capitals but I'm angry!) It is now SIX YEARS since the original post on this issue..has Adobe said or done anything to help out their p*ssed off customers in that 6 years? We have now got to version Acrobat Reader DC and the problem is still there!!! I've tried most of the solutions mentioned here but nothing works. Used to be able to print with Reader DC, now no .pdf files will print. Everything else prints fine.

It's ridiculous that to print out Adobe Reader DC documents, saved in Adobe Reader DC format, I have to use another program!

Is anyone reading this at Adobe? Does anyone at Adobe care?

• 157. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                                  matthewv92231725 Community Member

Dave_oz,

Try this, I tried them all and didn't work for me but it might for you. Of course since i am printing to a network printer i knew better on the printer items. Error "The document could not be printed" when you print from Acrobat or Reader (6.0 and 7.0 on Windows) - Support Knowl…

After that i did a repair from help in adobe reader in which i found that i was missing the data1.cab under C:\ProgramData\adobe\setup\{ac76a86"abunch of numbers here}. So i unistalled and installed it again from Ninite.com. Which fixed my problem, i know its not the best solution but try it out.

Hope this helps

• 158. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                                    TerTer46 Community Member

I cannot fix on MAC so used tablet that is not as up to date so it printed fine.  I think it is the Reader DC and this is when I started having issues.

• 159. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                                      pcreuter Community Member

I was able to get around this by doing a Save As.. Reduced File size, then changing the file to work with Acrobat 8.0 and later. Immediately started working after being printed to the new file type.
                                                                                      Hope this helps.