8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2012 7:48 PM by John T Smith RSS

Premiere 6.5 Won't Install on Sony Viao XP Home Desktop

Neil Corn

Thanks to anyone who is able to help with my issue.  I have a Viao XP Home Desktop in my house with a firewire input.  I still use the old machine to capture video from my Sony Mini DV camcorder.  I then transfer the captured AVI files to my HP laptop which is a 32 bit Vista I bought about 4 years ago.  The Vista laptop will run my Premiere 6.5 being 32 bit, but has no firewire or PCMIA card slot to install a firewire card.  Being that I can't afford to upgrade my Premiere right now, I have to figure out why I can't install Premiere 6.5 on my desktop.  It was on the desktop years ago and got uninstalled.  Now when I put the disk in, it does to the install screen and then has a button to install Premiere 6.5, after I click the button, the screen disappears, the CD/DVD drive spins for awhile and just stops.  It won't continue the install.  My desktop has been buggy for several years and I wonder if a virus might be stopping the install.  I have however been able to install other applications.  I tried uninstalling more recent versions of QuickTime and other Adobe applications in case something was interfering with the install.  The XP Home machine is running Service Pack 2. 

Being low on money, I thought about installing a firewire on the laptop to capture the video, but again, it is an HP with no available slots and I heard that firewire to USB 2.0 converters are a scam and don't work.  My next alternative is to put the desktop in a shop and see if a professional can remove viruses and get premiere 6.5 installed.  My last straw will be to buy a more recent 32 bit compatible Premiere Elements and try using it instead.  I have old 6.5 timelines that I need to use for this project that can integrate seamlessly with the 2012 version of the video and I'm afraid they will not translate to a recent version of Elements. 

Please ask questions if I left any detail out that might determine why the install isn't working.  The hard drive space is available and the machine previously ran 6.5 without a hitch. 

Very frustrated.  Thanks for reading my long winded message.

Neil Corn

• 1. Re: Premiere 6.5 Won't Install on Sony Viao XP Home Desktop
          John T Smith CommunityMVP

>My desktop has been buggy for several years

>machine previously ran 6.5 without a hitch

Well, my reading of those two statements would indicate that you need to save your data files to an external drive, de-activate everything... then format your drive and install everything fresh

At least, that is wha tI would do

• 2. Re: Premiere 6.5 Won't Install on Sony Viao XP Home Desktop
            Neil Corn Community Member

Thanks for the advice. Of course I forgot to mention that my Sony VIAO doesn't have a free stading copy of Windows XP Home.  You have to use the recovery disks to wipe the slate clean.  When I tried to start from scratch, I had error messages that wouldn't let me complete the re-install of windows.  If I get a chance, I'll post the error message.  I'm going to try to install the application in safe mode and see if that gets me anywhere.  I'll try to update this forum.  I really only need this PC to capture video as well as run an older version of Encore DVD which won't even run on my Vista laptop.  Everything else I could back up.  I would just buy a new hard drive, but I wonder if the VAIO disks would install new on the new hard drive? 

• 3. Re: Premiere 6.5 Won't Install on Sony Viao XP Home Desktop

Just tried the system recovery again just to get the error message.  "STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum} The image url.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum".  I just wonder if these VIAO recovery disks would install on a brand new hard drive, still might be a cheaper alternative to getting another PC with a firewire in it. 

Thanks again for any suggestions.

• 4. Re: Premiere 6.5 Won't Install on Sony Viao XP Home Desktop

>doesn't have a free stading copy of Windows XP Home. You have to use the recovery disks to wipe the slate clean

I think I am confused... do you have a physical disc or are you using a software routine to access a reserved area of the hard drive?

If you have a physical disc, and you are having problems, I think you have larger problems than one program not installing

I would suggest eBay to buy a "real" XP install disc... except for problems people have had with pirate versions

• 5. Re: Premiere 6.5 Won't Install on Sony Viao XP Home Desktop

thanks, yes, the sony viao came with 3 system recovery install disks and 2 application recovery disks.  My copy of premiere 6.5 was bought separately.  I get the error message above when I start the system recovery with disk one.  Windows XP home is somehow included in the VIAO install disks.  I'm not sure I can use these disks on a brand new hard disk drive.  If the original hard drive is totally corrupted with viruses, I'd like to install the system on a new hard drive.  It could be cheaper than a copy of XP Home.  I was hoping that I was missing something obvious and premiere 6.5 would install under the current configuration, and somebody on this board would know what I need to do.  Seems like no such luck.  Does anybody know if I get a brand new hard drive, if these VIAO disks should install and I can start fresh?  If I could add a firewire port to my laptop, I could forget trying to use that machine, but I heard that's not possible as well.  HP G60 laptop.

thanks again John

• 6. Re: Premiere 6.5 Won't Install on Sony Viao XP Home Desktop

The only time I have had any experience with recovery -vs- real discs was helping my sister in law with her computer (I think it was an HP)

She did "something" to her computer when she "found" Windows Explorer

In her case, the recovery disc allowed me to wipe everything and install Windows and all software back to a factory issue state

If your recovery disc won't let you wipe to start fresh, I think you need to call Sony

• 7. Re: Premiere 6.5 Won't Install on Sony Viao XP Home Desktop

Well, I went through Sony, they gave me a couple of changes to make to the BIOS before reinstalling the recovery disks that would bring XP back to a clean slate stage and I still got error messages.  Current machine will not install any applications.  I am in administrator mode.  Can't reset the machine to see if something was changed that is causing my machine to not install apps. 

• 8. Re: Premiere 6.5 Won't Install on Sony Viao XP Home Desktop

Sorry to hear that... I think your computer is FUBAR (Fouled Up Beyond All Recovery... hey! You didn't think I was going to spell out the military version, did you?)

Seems to me you need a new computer... which sounds like a non-starter due to $$ limits... I am fresh out of ideas