• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing TOC Book in Merged WebHelp

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's late on a Friday, and I'm brain dead. I am using a merged WebHelp structure (based on Peter Grainge's model with parent project only having one topic and using redirect to first child project) for my company's disaster recovery plan (separate department plans plus a master company plan). I recently added a new department plan. When I generate the merged help, the new department plan (Marketing) appears in the TOC but another one that should be there (Underwriting) is not showing up. Does this have to do with the length of the TOC? Seems like I recall having a problem with long TOC's before (in another job and project) but not sure if that's the issue or not.

Any guidance on where to troubleshoot would be appreciated. Thanks!

merged_help_toc.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nested TOC can be a problem occasionally but this one should be at the top level and that list is not too long. There is no maximum that I am aware but I have seen many that are way longer than that one.

Is the missing book a single project?

If you have just added a project that is showing, you must have regenerated the parent to make it show. It shouldn't be necessary but have you tried regenerating all the projects or maybe just those below the new one?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the missing book is for a single project. I re-generated the one for Underwriting (which was missing before) and now it appears in the merged TOC, but the new one (Marketing) does not. That's why I thought it might have something to do with length of TOC. Each department plan has about 4 or 5 sub-books (level 2) underneath them and most have a 3rd-level sub-book. The IT plan goes even deeper with 4th and 5th level sub-books. However, the IT plan is showing up in the merged TOC, but it comes before Marketing and Underwriting (they are listed alphabetically).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this situation my next trick would be to publish the parent again and then each of the children in turn.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. I am not using the Publishing feature. I copy and paste (using Explorer) the generated output directly to the SharePoint server when I publish them. I am generating to my C:drive. I have not had a problem when adding new department plans before. As far as I can tell, this one is no different than the others. I went back through and checked settings in the wizard to ensure they match those of the other department plans. I even rolled up the first plan (master plan) into its own Level 1 Book and re-generated parent and child projects, but that did not help. See screen shot below. I do NOT have Add Mark of the Web box selected on any of the projects when I generate. Could that be the culprit? What's weird is that when I open the index.htm file to view the generated merged help, all of the projects are initially there but I get the standard Active X warning message  in IE (see second screen shot below- you can see that both Marketing and Underwriting are there). I then click to Allow Blocked Content and open the file, and then the Marketing project is not there anymore.

Merged_TOC.jpg

open_index_file.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK reread as "In this situation my next trick would be to generate the parent again and then each of the children in turn." However you have now done that.

Mark of the Web is there to allow you to view outputs locally using IE. Instead you can go to IE Tools > Options > Advanced and tick the Allow active content to run from My Computer. That only affects the outputs when viewed locally on your machine but it should only be you doing that.

See if you have the same problem viewing with Firefox.

The fact that you are putting the files to Sharepoint manually makes me wonder if some file has got missed?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I do have the same problem in Firefox. Just to clarify, I'm not viewing the merged plan in SharePoint; I am generating and viewing it locally on my C: drive. Copying to SharePoint is the last thing I do, so I haven't even gotten to that point yet, and when I do it, I delete all files on the server and copy all files again to it.

I tried regenerating AND publishing all of the plans to my C: drive (separate locations with same folder structure). I can either get the Marketing plan to show up or the Underwriting plan but not both at the same time.

Here is screen shot of the parent file TOC. They are all there. What am I missing? Have you encountered this issue before on the forum? I tried searching but couldn't find a situation that exactly matched mine. The Marketing plan only has 18 topics in it with 6 folders in the project file. The Underwriting plan has 33 topics in it with 6 folders in project file.

However, the IT plan, which comes before those two, has 226 topics and 7 folders, some of which have multiple levels of sub-folders going 3 or 4 levels down. I can send you screen shots of the structure, if you like. It's the most complicated one of the bunch. I've got to get this resolved as I am supposed to publish 1Q updates this week. And of course, I can't merge any additional department plans until I can determine where the problem lies.

Thanks in advance for your help!

BR_Parent_TOC.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have different “start” page file names for the different projects? If you used “index.htm” or something default-ish like that for the start page in both projects, RH may be getting confused.

Just a thought.

Gigi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try completely changing the order so that the two are not adjacent. I know that will not be acceptable as a solution but it might get them all in, then we can worry about why if it works.

Have you checked the default language for all projects?

How big is the whole lot zipped up without any outputs?

I will be offline for an hour or two now.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured it out. I was generating Marketing plan to wrong location. I knew it was something obvious - I was just missing it. Thank you for your help - I do appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would have thought it meant it would never appear. Not sure how it sometimes did and sometimes didn't but if you're happy, I am.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp