5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2012 2:26 PM by Melissa Retter RSS

    Viewing channels in spectrographic display

    Melissa Retter

      Hello all,

       

      I'm a long-time user of AA 3 and am getting comfy with CS5.5.  I work with spectrogams a lot, in the sense I often use AA as a means to view spectrograms to compare them visually. I am wondering if there is a way I can view a single channel of a stereo file in AA without having to convert the file to mono as the only method to view one channel at a time to ease analysis of multiple cuts side-by-side.  In other spectrographic analyzers I use, it is possible to click on and off a channel at will depending on which one I want to view without having to actually split them or delete one of them, but of course in these other programs I am unable to edit such in the way I can in AA.  Hopping non-Adobe platforms in the analyzing/editing process is a bit cumbersome.  If there's a way to switch channels on and off in this new version of AA, I'd love to know where I can find that!

       

      Thank you for any help.

        • 1. Re: Viewing channels in spectrographic display
          Tom Macomber Community Member

          I don't think you can view a single channel only in Spectral Frequency Analysis, but to edit L or R channel only, go to Edit > Edit Channels (that's the name in AA3, might be different with CS5), select L or R. You have to reverse the steps to go back to two-channel editing.

          • 2. Re: Viewing channels in spectrographic display
            SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

            Tom Macomber wrote:

             

            I don't think you can view a single channel only in Spectral Frequency Analysis, but to edit L or R channel only, go to Edit > Edit Channels (that's the name in AA3, might be different with CS5), select L or R. You have to reverse the steps to go back to two-channel editing.

            Or just click on the appropriate part of the screen (either L or R side) to highlight it, or back in the middle to restore it. You don't need a menu...

            • 3. Re: Viewing channels in spectrographic display
              Tom Macomber Community Member

              Or ctrl + shft + L or R - there's always another way it seems! But I'm not sure we're if this is what the OP is asking.

              • 4. Re: Viewing channels in spectrographic display
                SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

                Tom Macomber wrote:

                 

                But I'm not sure we're if this is what the OP is asking.

                Strictly speaking, it isn't. This highlights a single channel, and lets you edit a single channel (within temporal constraints), but doesn't make the other channel go away, which you simply can't do - and I certainly wouldn't want this available as a facility, quite frankly, as it could lead to massive confusion about what you were doing. The 'convert channels to mono files' option is, unfortunately, the only realistic way to handle this.

                • 5. Re: Viewing channels in spectrographic display
                  Melissa Retter Community Member

                  SteveG(AudioMasters) wrote:

                   

                  Tom Macomber wrote:

                   

                  But I'm not sure we're if this is what the OP is asking.

                  Strictly speaking, it isn't. This highlights a single channel, and lets you edit a single channel (within temporal constraints), but doesn't make the other channel go away, which you simply can't do - and I certainly wouldn't want this available as a facility, quite frankly, as it could lead to massive confusion about what you were doing. The 'convert channels to mono files' option is, unfortunately, the only realistic way to handle this.

                   

                  Sure, that's fine.  Just wanted to know if I could or not. Thanks for assisting, everyone!  Ha fair enough, though some people might find such a feature immensely confusing and unnecessary, it is one I've become use to in other spectrographic analysis programs and was hoping I could use such in Au CS5.5.  I appreciate the help.

                   

                  Also, I'm still trying to find a resolution to a real problem I'm having using Au CS5.5 instead of just a visual customization issue as we are discussing here. If you wouldn't mind taking a look here, I would love to have another opinion on getting around this problem.  Thanks a lot!  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/981493?tstart=0