Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space between paragraphes

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Long time i used InDesign CS4, and wonder if there is a solution on my question ?

I started a digital book where I use Garamond Premier Pro Medium 14pt with an interline of 16.

In certain conditions, i like to double "Enter" between two paragraphs, but the space is to big !

Can i reduce the space between two paragraphs ?

Thanks to let me know, and please, tel me how to proceed .

Regards,

Jean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

You don't put your mouse between two paragraphs. You select one of the paragraphs (the one above or the one below), and you use the Space Above or Space Below attribute. It's actually done very similarly in Microsoft Word.

Here are a couple pictures. Select a paragraph. Create its attributes for font size, leading (what you call "interline"), maybe a first line indent. From the Paragraph Styles panel, choose New Paragraph Style. I called mine Body Copy.

ParaStyle1.jpg

To add the space between paragraphs, go to t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of typing the enter key twice, use “space after” or “space before” that you can find in the paragraph panel or (better) in your paragraph style panel. You will be able to control exactly the space you wish between paragraphs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks jmlevy, for your help.

Actually, i'm not starting an eBook, but a technical manual (about 70 pages !) which i'll convert into PDF.

I'm not sure in understand exactly the procedure. (i'm from Belgium !).

Can you fing the time to show me the way to (step by step ?) using the paragraph style panel (which i did already).

It should be nice if could put the mouse between two paragraphs and adjusting the space by modifying the interline !

And thanks to Steve as well for his support.

Regards,

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't put your mouse between two paragraphs. You select one of the paragraphs (the one above or the one below), and you use the Space Above or Space Below attribute. It's actually done very similarly in Microsoft Word.

Here are a couple pictures. Select a paragraph. Create its attributes for font size, leading (what you call "interline"), maybe a first line indent. From the Paragraph Styles panel, choose New Paragraph Style. I called mine Body Copy.

ParaStyle1.jpg

To add the space between paragraphs, go to the Indents and Spacing panel (on the left). Set the Space Below value as shown below:

ParaStyle2.jpg

I'm using picas and points (default in the US), but it would be the same if you were specifying millimeters or centimeters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

La même chose en français…

Capture d’écran 2012-03-31 à 21.06.17.pngCapture d’écran 2012-03-31 à 22.53.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks to all of you guys ! Steve :: Peter and  jmlevy (merci pour le français) !.

This is a real technical support,  i all "pick & place" it just in case....

I have to use so much various app's , so i'm confused each time i reuse one of them from several mounths ago.

It work fin (of course) and i can go on using Adobe stuff

Best regads and have a nice day.

Jean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're creating an eBook (exporting to EPUB—or Adobe Digital Editions as I think it reads in CS4), you should do most of our formatting with paragraph and character styles.

When exported to EPUB (or to HTML for that matter), all multiple paragraph returns are reduced to one, and all spaces are reduced to one.

As "jmlevy" pointed out, you want to use the Space Before and Space After attributes in your paragraph style to adjust the spacing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want to add space to all paragraphs of a particular style, you can do it as a local override setting from either the Paragraph panel or the Control Panel:

Space before_after.png

Space before or afer are set in either the Patagraph panel or the Control panel paragraph fields. I've highlighted both in the illustration above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines