9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2012 8:32 AM by Danny Michael RSS

LR4's need to contact Adobe

me, too

it seems that every time I launch LR4, and every time I quit it, it attempts to contact Adobe. On launch, it asks to contact www.photoshop.com. On quit, it insists on contacting hl2rcv.adobe.com. As yet I've seen no difference in its subsequent behavior whether I allow it to do so or not. What's up with that behavior?

I suppose the attempt to reach photoshop.com might be a validation thing, or maybe it's getting ready to answer queries for help, but why on earth contact hl2rcv.adobe.com?

• 1. Re: LR4's need to contact Adobe
          Mollysnoot Community Member

Weird, I'm not aware of LR trying to automatically connect to either of those sites when I use it on my system. Also, LR doesn't go through the same type of sophisticated validation/activation that PS does, so once you've entered in your serial number for the first time, I don't think it ever needs to 'phone home' again - but I may be proven wrong!

I suspect something may be wrong with your set up here.

M

• 2. Re: LR4's need to contact Adobe
            Danny Michael Community Member

It attempts to connect to www.photoshop.com on every load, even with automatic updating off.

• 3. Re: LR4's need to contact Adobe
              kbkbn Community Member

I'm getting this also.  If I didn't have Little Snitch, I'd never know.  I suspect it's a form of market research.  I think I'll deny the connections forever.

• 4. Re: LR4's need to contact Adobe
                Jim Wilde Community Member

Have you signed up to the "Adobe Product Improvement Program" (under the Help menu)?

• 5. Re: LR4's need to contact Adobe
                  me, too

No, I don't remember having signed up for the Product Improvement Program. So I went and ran a little test: I launched LR, allowed the first "phone home," went to the help menu and examined the APIP dialog (no clue there), deliberately checked "NO" and quit. No closing request. Relaunched LR, and guess what? No initial request, either. So I returned to the APIP dialog, still no clues as to what had been checked earlier, this time clicked yes, saw that the "what are you" dialog was already filled out (so maybe I HAD said yes to APIP earlier?), and then quit LR. This time there WAS a closing request.

So, I think the mystery is solved: these are connected to the APIP program. One does wonder, however, if APIP is primed to assume your participation. As I think about it, I may very well have agreed to participate in a dialog that opened when I first launched the beta version. (Why else HAVE a public beta?) Since there are a couple Product Improvments I'd like to see, I think I need to tell Li'l Snitch to allow those connections in future.

Thank you, @Jim01403, for solving the riddle.

• 6. Re: LR4's need to contact Adobe
                    Mollysnoot Community Member

Very interesing. I didn't sign up to the APIP, so I guess that's why I wasn't seeing this on my system.

M

• 7. Re: LR4's need to contact Adobe

I think it's very unprofessional of Adobe to try to connect to any url, let alone one that is not part of the adobe.com domain. How should a user know that photoshop.com is owned by Adobe without looking it up in the registry? Little Snitch solves the program for me, ignore forever.

• 8. Re: LR4's need to contact Adobe
                        Keith_Reeder Community Member

dmcrescent wrote:

How should a user know that photoshop.com is owned by Adobe

Uuumm...

Is that a serious question?

• 9. Re: LR4's need to contact Adobe

Yes Keith. Anything outside the adobe.com domain would be a serious question for those of us who do not trust much of anything on the Internet.