1 2 Previous Next 56 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2012 1:43 PM by Hudechrome Go to original post RSS
      • 40. Re: Monitor profile is defective
        D Fosse Community Member

OK, sorry if I took it the wrong way.

Still, sometimes you need to be politically uncorrect, for purely practical reasons.

• 41. Re: Monitor profile is defective
          Lundberg02 Community Member

Any thread that starts with "my monitor" or "color shift" etc, etc, is

always some OP who doesn't calibrate and doesn't know the difference

between device dependent and device independent color spaces. Then an

enormous thread develops trying to wise them up. I'm sick of it. It's

perfectly ok to beat on your system until produces what you want and

need, I do that, but at least I know why. I just don't try stupid color

tricks as if I was on Letterman. If you do dumb things you get results

that can't be repurposed.

• 42. Re: Monitor profile is defective
            Hudechrome Community Member

Ah! A stupid Letterman color trick. Damn, I wish I had thought of that!

• 43. Re: Monitor profile is defective
              Tafflad Community Member

I seem to have upset you.

I will admit I am an unknowledgeable poster.   That is why I came here for help.

Some of the posts above have been really useful. 

I have a PC, CS 5.5 and a Samsung SM226CW monitor ... I am trying to get the 3 of them to work together.      I do not have a hardware calibration device.

My use is to take my growing stock of digital pictures and adjust and tweak so that they are the best they can be ... for my need.

One of the key tasks is I am a 'hobby' underwater photographer, and use CS to adjust the color balance of the  ics ... which is difficult due to sometimes extremely low light, and almost all the Red being filtered out.

My photos are just for personal use & friends & family.

They do not go to publishing, they do not go to print other than the occasional 7x5 print, they do get viewed by most people on their PC's

So apologies if I have upset someone with my 'color 101 ' questions.

I will go read on some of the links posted ....

• 44. Re: Monitor profile is defective

You can't tweak if you aren't seeing the image as it actually is. You

have to calibrate. For your purposes, and if you have a good eye, you

could get SuperCal for 25 bucks.

• 45. Re: Monitor profile is defective
                  Morstreng Community Member

Thanks,  2nd link on google was this post.  To: ssprengel thanks, the warning is gone. 

My needs: Just a hobby web programmer with a profile that kept giving me the error. 

Future: Few more years untill I am done with my current job.  Picked up CS5.5 and an 800 Dollar entry Nikon camera (kit).  Next I will grab an entry level monitor and calibrator... for now just happy to have the error gone.

To the above debate/anger... many of us just want a fix for an issue... I (and I aussume others) learn from the posts and adapt as best as possible.

Thanks for the knowledge.

• 46. Re: Monitor profile is defective

Morspreng, you are in the wrong thread.

• 47. Re: Monitor profile is defective
                      Noel Carboni Community Member

Lundberg02, you misspelled Morstreng's username, besides being wrong.  Considering you misspelled 1 of 7 words, that's a 114 percent failure rate! 

-Noel

• 48. Re: Monitor profile is defective

Yes, I misspelled a fictitious name. Oh shame, shame. 1 in 7 is 14 percent rounded off. I'd hate to see your tax returns.

• 49. Re: Monitor profile is defective

Math isn't his strong suit!

• 50. Re: Monitor profile is defective
                            • You made a 1 in 7 spelling error transcribing a name from a few inches away on the screen.  14.2857 (repeating digits) percent failure.

• When that word is corrected in the obvious way, you got the entire concept of your post wrong (near as I can see, Morstreng DID respond to the proper thread - his comments are perfectly reasonable and welcome here).  ANOTHER 100 percent failure.

I don't believe I did the math wrong.  14% or even 100% is "fail".  114% is "epic fail".

Another math problem that might be interesting to work through is to calculate the overall helpfulness of Lundberg02's posts using his post count and accumulated points. 

-Noel

• 51. Re: Monitor profile is defective

Hey you two! Get a room!

• 52. Re: Monitor profile is defective

The actual error rate is 2.56% rounded up, or one in 39. The apriori probability that any post by anyone is wrong is 50%. Therefore the apriori probability that my post would be wrong AND that I would make a 1 in 39 symbol error is 1.28%, since the probabilitries are independent (uncorrelated). The set "I am wrong", and the set, "I make a symbol error" are disjoint.

I think I can make the statement that a 114% failure rate has no meaning, without loss of generality.

For the record, I thought at first glance Morfsplungenfahrt was talking about the  "file has been changed" thread, and the whole thing was so unimportant that I didn't proof my response.

For all you newbies (Noel), I have been in the Photoshop forums since 1996.

• 53. Re: Monitor profile is defective

Would that be a ''chat room'', Lawrence? 

Iceberg02, it's interesting that you didn't consider the ''whole thing'' so unimportant as not to reply with a meaningless post that wasted everyone's time.  Besides, I forgot to subtract another 200% for using the wrong kind of computer. 

Oh, so now it's who's a ''who's got the bigger experience'' competition?  Watch out, you might not want to go there - I'm Italian. 

-Noel

• 54. Re: Monitor profile is defective

"Would that be a ''chat room'', Lawrence?"

No, a brat room. There you can both feast on bratworst!

• 55. Re: Monitor profile is defective

If we fools can't spar verbally on this day of days, when can we spar?

-Noel

• 56. Re: Monitor profile is defective

Spar(e) me the agony!

1 2 Previous Next