4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2012 7:53 AM by Loupy RSS

Table of Contents not generated in DTBook on epub export.

Loupy

When I go to export to epub, I lose the Table of Contents that I created in InDesign CS5.5.  How can it be regenerated for the DTBook?

• 1. Re: Table of Contents not generated in DTBook on epub export.
          Steve Werner CommunityMVP

All the documentation I have read for created EPUB are to export XHTML, rather than DTBook. I'm not sure if it follows the same rules as EPUB for XHTML.

Assuming it does, you need to do two things: (1) Create a TOC Style (not just a Table of Contents) in the Layout menu. (2) When in the Export EPUB dialog > Contents panel, specify the TOC Style you created.

In an "normal" EPUB 2.01, that would do two things: It would create a navigational TOC shown in every EPUB reader, and it would leave the TOC you placed on your page as an internal TOC.

• 2. Re: Table of Contents not generated in DTBook on epub export.
            Loupy Community Member

Thank you for your response.  I did as you sugested. When I export as a regular epub, the TOC is there. If I export as DTB, the option to set page break dissappears and the TOC is not generated.  May I send you the file so that you can see for yourself?  It is a rather lage file.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Table of Contents not generated in DTBook on epub export.
              Steve Werner CommunityMVP

Sorry, I no users of DTBooks, nor do I know any documentation for DTBooks. If it's not in the menu, it's probably not allowed in whatever standard DTBooks follow.

• 4. Re: Table of Contents not generated in DTBook on epub export.
                Loupy Community Member

Thank you, Steve.  I may actually know more about this featureof Adobe InDesign than anyone else.  As far as a standard that DTBooks follow, TOC's are generated all the time. As a matter of fact, Dophin Easy Producer as well as the DAISY Pipeline both generate TOC's fom the content.  It would be nice if Adobe InDesign would do the same. Unfortunately, Adobe InDesign falls short in many aspects regarding DTBooks. I have offered before, and I will offer it again that if anyone on the disign team want to lknow how to best incorpaorate features regarding DTBooks, i will be glad to assist.

Regards