7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2012 6:03 AM by nealeh RSS

Is it possible to change the aspect ratio of a video clip in PE9

Grenadianexpat Community Member

Sorry, I may not be too hot at reading the manual, but I have tried to find direct references to altering aspect ratios and have found nothing I could relate to.

I have a web cam video clip which viewed live originally on the monitor was 4:3, but for it to have realistic proportions it needs to be stretched to 16:9.

It was screen recorded to an AVI format.

Is there a way to import it for editing in the 16:9 format so that the final product is 16:9.?

• 1. Re: Is it possible to change the aspect ratio of a video clip in PE9
          Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

Well, you can set up a project for 16:9 widescreen DV and import the video into it.

Then you just increase the scale to fill the frame (133%, I think).

• 2. Re: Is it possible to change the aspect ratio of a video clip in PE9

Thanks Steve, I realise you are one of the stallwarts here.

I have noted that you can open the file 4:3 and it will have black top and bottom, or you can open it widescreen and it will then ..... if it was recorded wide screen...... fill, or more or less fill the work area. What I am refering to is actually Streeeeeetching the original from its aspect where the humans are tall and thin, to where they regain their normal shorter slightly wider, and more realistic form.

Is that what you meant with your instruction?

Apologies for a lower level of cognition, but a drop or two of Rum taken in the interim is impeding thought processes. I shall see if I can follow your instructions tomorrow. Only being a "dabler" I must admit to finding the range of variables a wee bit daunting.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to change the aspect ratio of a video clip in PE9
              nealeh Community Member

As they already look tall and thin it suggests they were already in widescreen format and you used the wrong (standard DV) project setting.

Create the Widesceen DV project, as suggested by Steve above, and drag your clip into it. You will probably find that it nicely fills the screen without any need to manually stretch.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Is it possible to change the aspect ratio of a video clip in PE9

Thanks Neale,

With respect to me using the wrong project settings..... I am trying to figure that out, but the crux of the matter is the person who streemed the film clip (a live transmission of a funeral service) would seem to me to have not set up THEIR video camera or web page properly, as what I have recorded is exactly what was visible on my monitor within my otherwise non problematic browser.

What I saw was what I got. so changing the format from std to widescreen only seems to affect how wide the black bands at the side are that frame the image.

I need to look into this again, and try Steve's recommendation, however if it is only filling the frame it is not going to do what I need - I have just opened a DV widescreen project, and it is just the same, the frame is tight on the top, and has black bars at the side. If I draw out the frame at the side I lose picture from the top and bottom of the image.

In a much cheeper less sophisticated piece of software I used to use which needed upgrading to cope with win7 it would have made the change automatically without more than a couple of clicks. I chose to try PE instead of doing the upgrade. I am starting to feel that was a mistake. I am not a movie maker or in need of too many features. All I need is to trim and join clips for the most part. This is not to say I haven't found benefit in some of the features, but it is rare to need them.

I still feel I need a facility which actually changes the dimensions, perhaps this is ? changing the pixel ratio?

Cheers.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to change the aspect ratio of a video clip in PE9
                  nealeh Community Member

In the media panel right-click the clip and try 'interpret footage'.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 6. Re: Is it possible to change the aspect ratio of a video clip in PE9

Thanks one and all for your input. I finally got to understand the help section instructions, and the solution as supplied by them was:

If you want to change the size of a clip in Adobe Premiere Elements and its pixel aspect ratio is correct, select the clip and change the Scale property of the Motion effect. The Motion effect is available in the Properties view with the clip selected in the Timeline or Sceneline.

So despite the programs own words that you cannot change the project after it has been created..... you can.

Having followed the instructions above I left the height at 100% and changed the width to 135% and I now no longer have stick figures in the clip, or black bands at the side.

I now also realise, that was what Steve had meant or intended in the first reply recieved, but the answer was a bit lacking in detail for a limited use user, so I didn't know where to look to make the adjustements.

• 7. Re: Is it possible to change the aspect ratio of a video clip in PE9
                      nealeh Community Member

Technically you have NOT changed the project setting. You have changed the clip (by zooming in) to match the project setting.

Glad to hear that it's all working for you.

Cheers,

--

Neale