12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2012 10:08 AM by John Ratard RSS

Sound Card Confirmation for PPro CS5

John Ratard Community Member

I have been trying to determine the sound card I should purchase for Creative Suite CS5 compatible with Premier Pro.  I have reviewed posts resulting from my searches that list a number of sound cards.  Some indicate problems.

With no experience in ASIO sound cards and a number to choose from, which sound card is recommended for overall performance from experience?

• 1. Re: Sound Card Confirmation for PPro CS5
          Scott Chichelli Community Member

playback and editing the onboard sound is more than good enough.

do NOT by a sound blaster/Zonar thingy

voice overs or recording from source other than onboard cam is a completely different story and requires a professional audio interface

which depends on number of ins you need and budget. they range from $99 to well over 2k

for VOs a very nice mic pre and mic are recommended

Scott

ADK

• 2. Re: Sound Card Confirmation for PPro CS5

Thanks Scott.  I contacted ASUS regarding the P6T WS Pro motherboard onboard sound for ASIO recording.  The sound system on the motherboard does not support ASIO.  The motherboard does capture voice from a microphone but Premier Pro does not register the sound even after I confirm it does recognize the sound system and I setup the correct mono sound track.  I am trying to dub sound directly into the edited video since I believe this is faster than trying to record sound independently, converting to ASIO if possible, then inserting sound tracks into the clips.  I am prepared to purchase an ASIO sound card if it will provide dubbing capability into P.Pro with good quality.  I do not need advanced capabilities that I can provided in Sound Booth.

I am new to voice dubbing so I do not understand what you mean by "for VOs a very nice mic pre and mic are recommended" other than VO perhaps for voice over.  What would you recommended for a sound card?

• 3. Re: Sound Card Confirmation for PPro CS5

A good 50% if not more of my clients just us onboard

With Adobe

http://www.asio4all.com/

Thanks

Scott Chichelli

ADK Media Group LLC

<http://facebook.com/adkmg> Like us on facebook!

859-635-5762

• 4. Re: Sound Card Confirmation for PPro CS5

oops missed the 2nd 1/2

VO = voice over

to recommend an audio interface i need to know how many ins/out you need?

and budget.

i can recommend a $500 mic pre, $500 mic and $1000 interface.

you can get by with less obviously. the mic and mic pre are more important than the interface unles you want to cheap out and just use the pre amps on the interface

(hard to get that boom/radio announcer voice if so)

Scott

ADK

• 6. Re: Sound Card Confirmation for PPro CS5

Seriously Harm? Ughh might be fine for training videos but no serious VO guy would ever consider it.

A good mic requires a mic pre (phantom power), there is no such thing as a good dynamic mic.

A good mic pre (actually channel strip would be a better name) is required to get that “sound”

• 7. Re: Sound Card Confirmation for PPro CS5
                    Harm Millaard CommunityMVP

The Zoom H4N has phantom power and the AKG 414 or even the 214 cardoid is more than most VO pro's would need. The Neuman TLM103 may even be better but maybe a bit out of budget for most. All these mic's are large diaphragm condenser mic's. Not dynamic.

FYI, VO is such a simple application, that even a much cheaper mic might suffice. And furthermore the AKG 414 and the Neuman are widely used in radio broadcast and have been the choice of radio professionals and VO professionals for a very long time.

The AKG mics are "clearer" with more attack and more crispness, as one would expect with a phantom powered "active" approach compared to the dynamics.

All mics also take on the "color" of the preamp circuit that they drive, so a decent mic with an excellent pre-amp would often out-perform a great mic fed into a mediocre recording circuit. Today, most pre-amps except the cheapest are pretty clean, if a bit "sterile". You can often fix that with post-processing, but it's more efficient to just do it properly in the first place and not have to spend a lot of time futzing around in post.

At the end of the day, no matter which you use, all they can do is capture and record the voice that hits the diaphragm. So the key to a good sound is good talent. Always was and always will be. You can start with a sub-standard read and compress it for clarity, make it crisper or boost certain frequencies - but it's still going to be a recording of the performance that happened.

• 8. Re: Sound Card Confirmation for PPro CS5

Glad to see you know a mic or 2 not bad for an old guy!

And you hit the nail in the head with the AKGs.. neumann is way overkill

• 9. Re: Sound Card Confirmation for PPro CS5

Thanks  Harm.  I appreciate your extensive knowledge and forum support.  I was not intending to get into the serious VO setup being more of a general editor for home videos.  Nevertheless, you have given me good information if I am to VO seriously.  When you say I can use the on-board audio, I presume I do not need ASIO to dub directly into the edited video prepared mono sound track while the video is playing in the timeline.  If this is the case, I have the following questions:

1. Does PPro. accept any digital VO audio format into the mono audio track and not necessarily ASIO?

2. Should the PPro Audio Mixer detect an audio signal from the motherboard sound system if the PPro setup recognizes the motherboard system?

I have tried but the Audio Mixer detects nothing while the motherboard system detects the audio.  If your answers are yes to my questions, I will not be wasting my time with further trouble shooting.  Please refer to my first response to Scott for further information.

• 10. Re: Sound Card Confirmation for PPro CS5

Thanks Scott for the serious VO equipment info and Harm for mic information.  I am presently using an old AKAI mic that was an accessory for the reel to reel recorders of the 1960-1970 vintage.  When I get my setup working correctly, I will consider a better mic.  I am on board with the jargon and have deciphered the mic pre and mic as being microphone preamplifier and microphone.

• 11. Re: Sound Card Confirmation for PPro CS5
                            Harm Millaard CommunityMVP

John,

From the picture in a previous post and the components I mentioned you may be able to distill my workflow for VO. Note that I do not (regularly) use a teleprompter, although from time to time I can get one from a friend to use.

My workflow is writing out the VO text I want to add. The reason is that I want every sentence to have a certain flow, I want to know where to put an emphasis, where to have a silent part, and get an overall feel of the story. It should be like the old fashioned stories told on the radio. It has to trigger the interest of the audience, even with your eyes closed, it has to captivate them and this helps me get the proper wording, avoids the use of difficult words, etc. I then go to a quiet room in my house, close windows, doors, disable the telephone, warn my wife not to disturb me, hope nobody rings the bell at the front door and no ambulances pass our house with sirens screaming, in short no outside disturbances and setup the SE Reflection Pro filter and mic. I then read out the text, usually paragraph wise, get my breadth again and go on to the next paragraph. When I feel everything is OK, I take the SD card from the Zoom, import the WAV recordings into my computer and import them into my project. It is then a simple matter of dragging each paragraph into the timline (mono track) and postion it where I want it, and so on for the next paragraph. This way I get very clear VO sound that needs no further audio processing and the positioning is very quick. This works great for me, but maybe your workflow is different, so distill what you need and can use from this description.

• 12. Re: Sound Card Confirmation for PPro CS5

Harm,

Thank you for a well presented description for the preparation of a good quality VO.  You have convinced me that a sound card with a very fast digital conversion capability i.e. ASIO is not needed because dubbing directly into the timeline is subject to all sorts of problems.  I would need a sound proof room and a good deal of experience to dub as in animation movies and the days of spaghetti westerns.  Preparing the script and finding a quiet spot to capture the VO, improve sections as required, then clip sections to fit into the clips on the timeline is the way to go.  Spending money on an expensive fast sound card and expensive microphone will not correct the weakest link, i.e. the audience impact and clear voice.