4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2012 3:03 PM by Aaron D in KC RSS

Why is Bridge creating XMP files in CS6?

Aaron D in KC Community Member

I'm using the CS6 beta on a new set of photos.  All I've done so far is batch rename all the files (all raw, all CR2) and edited the IPTC metadata - to add my name, the project name, etc.  Now I've got a side-car file for every photo.  CS5 just included this stuff in the original file, why not CS6?

• 1. Re: Why is Bridge creating XMP files in CS6?
          SG... Employee Hosts

Hi Aaron,

The Camera Raw preferences are likely set to 'Save image settings in: Sidecar ".xmp" files'. To change this in Bridge, go to:

(WIN) Edit> Camera Raw Preferences...

(MAC) Adobe Bridge CS6> Camera Raw Preferences...

and then change the top pull down menu.

regards,

steve

• 2. Re: Why is Bridge creating XMP files in CS6?

OK I should have seen that, thank you! 

But now I see the alternative to "xmp file" is "camera raw database" - that is a database within the CR2 file, right?  Meaning it travels with the original file, say if I back it up on a disk (or wherever)?

• 3. Re: Why is Bridge creating XMP files in CS6?
              SG... Employee Hosts

Hi,

The 'Camera Raw Database' is written to a local directory on your machine, and won't travel (without an extra step) if you copy the CR2 file to another machine. If you use DNG then the metadata will be stored in the file.

If you store the camera raw settings in the Camera Raw database and plan to move the files to a different location (CD, DVD, another computer, and so forth), you can use the Export Settings To XMP command to export the settings to sidecar XMP files.

You may have been using, and wanting, sidecar .xmp files, but just had them hidden in previous Bridge versions. To hide the .xmp file from the Content panel's display, go to View> Show Hidden Files and toggle the checkmark OFF, by selecting it.

regards,

steve

• 4. Re: Why is Bridge creating XMP files in CS6?

Gotcha.  All along I've assumed the metadata traveled with the raw file, and since I'm always on the same machine, it looks as though it does.  This is the best reason I've seen yet to convert to DNG.

Thank you very much!

-A