10 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 9:00 AM by Peter Spier RSS

Linking missing fonts to ID CS5.5 pages

mentlity Community Member

I had a client send me a folder with the following contents

.indd file

Folder( with  links )

fonts ( with fonts inside)

I need to export the doc ads an e.pub file but when I publish I get ( certain fonts are missing) now I know some of these fonts asre NOT on my systerm but are in the fonts folder within the .indd file. Do I need to add the fonts to my syastem fonts or I'm sure there is a way for the indd file to display the fonts since they are in the same folder am I right?

Plz advize

RD

• 1. Re: Linking missing fonts to ID CS5.5 pages
          BobLevine CommunityMVP

Does it say fonts or Document Fonts?

Are you on Mac or Windows? Did the file come from a Mac or Windows user and what version of InDesign was used?

Bob

• 2. Re: Linking missing fonts to ID CS5.5 pages

Sorry I got bounced out of the forum and had to reload, to be more specific as I have two very solvable problems. As explained client sent folder with

.indd file

Folder( with  links )

fonts ( with fonts inside)

If I go to publish the indd file I'm missing the images for the links so now I see I have to go and use the relink feature in the Links panel. There are 30+ images to relink, is there a way to do this in bulk?

Second, If I go to publish I get the msg that 6 fonts are missing ( there are 12 in the folder so this means I have 6 on my machine. Do I go ahead a load the 6 missing fonts to my Mac as the files were made from a mac using  In Design.CS4

Thanks for looking in to this for me.

RD

• 3. Re: Linking missing fonts to ID CS5.5 pages

I get the msg saying

The file was exported but one or more porblems were detected

fonts: 6 missing

then it lists the fonts

• 4. Re: Linking missing fonts to ID CS5.5 pages

I re edited this as I had other projects to tend to now I'm back to work on this

Wow, forum was out for a while as you know the following. I recieved a set of files from a client

.indd file

Folder( with links )

fonts (with fonts inside)

If I go to publish to .epub I get the msg that 6 fonts are missing Those fonts were not on machine, I went ahead and installed those fonts on my Mac Pro

and now I get that 6 of them are not allowed to be embedded. The orginal indd files were made on a Mac in ID CS4 , I'm in Lion 10.7.4 using ID CS5.5

Screenshot shows msg

iddmsg.png

RD

• 5. Re: Linking missing fonts to ID CS5.5 pages

Ah, after reading up I see that in order to have the fonts in ID appear in converted e pub files I need to edit the font in the xml file.

Is that the only way to do?

RD

• 6. Re: Linking missing fonts to ID CS5.5 pages

Ah! sorry for being so anal as I realize now that the message even thought the fonts are typical they are type 1 fonts and Id only allows export of Open type fonts. Now that I know this I got a long article on this but to save time I would think that within ID 5.5. or 6 there is a way to convert the type 1's to open type.

is this possible?

I would also think that it would be safe to think that if I have a client that has a bunch of InDesign files that are going to be converted to e pubs I should let hm know NOT to use type 1 fonts only Open type so I can avpoid this correct?

???

RD

• 7. Re: Linking missing fonts to ID CS5.5 pages

Just to add, now I was able to look and see where I can see the missing or un exportable fonts in ID, next question.

I'm on a Mac Pro and I have roughly 480 fonts. Alot are True type but as I look I see I do not have some typical Open type fonts. I would think that Adobe has a set of open type fonts which I can add to my library where I only have TTF's

any help?

• 8. Re: Linking missing fonts to ID CS5.5 pages
                        Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Adobe switched distribution of its fonts from T1 to OpenType several years ago, and would be delighted to sell you any of them. They NEVER, as far as I know, distributed TT fonts, so those may not be avaialble from Adobe, but you can also check vendors like MyFonts.com or Fonts.com who didtribute for all of the major foundries.

As far as sets of fonts, there are some great collections on the Adobe site that have selected faces at discount prices, but typically they will not have all weights or styles of a face if more than one is avialable. I don't do ePub, so I can't speak to font problems with that, but ID has no problem exporting TT or T1 fonts to other formats as long as those fonts are not restricted.

• 9. Re: Linking missing fonts to ID CS5.5 pages

OK I'm getting to know this subject a bit more. So your saying that ID will have no problem exporting TTF's to other formats but I'm only concerned with epub docs, so with this mentioned T1 times (bold) for instance is a restricted font as I get the msg in the export field that it is not allowed to be embedded, now isn't embedding and exporting a bit different? As I recall when exporting to Epub from ID the folder contains the fonts used in the project so if the fonts are not embeddable they will obviously not be used therefore generating the message.

In tht case I would have to find the same font in OTF add to the ID file ( I know how to do this) and then export which will be error free.

close?

RD

• 10. Re: Linking missing fonts to ID CS5.5 pages
                            Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Font restrictions are not a property of the font format, but rather somthing that is built into the font file by the foundry. Some fonts are only available as restricted fonts, some always unrestricted, and som are availble either way, depending on the license you buy, or from whom you buy it. Adobe, for example, does not distribute fonts that are restricted against embedding in PDF.