6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2012 10:17 AM by bob frost RSS

Lightroom 4 and 4.1 backup problem

rickjolson

Recently I've had problems optimizing and backing up my catalog to an external Drive (with plenty of free space). Its been working fine in 4 until last week when it gets about 80% through and just hangs. Installed 4.1 today but same problem. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 4 and 4.1 backup problem
          web-weaver Community Member

Just try it again. I had this happening in Lr3 mostly when I hadn't done a backup in a while.

It usually went through to the end on the second try.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 4 and 4.1 backup problem
            rickjolson Community Member

Thanks but I've tried this multiple times without success. I usually backup and optimize every other time I use LR and have had few problems to date (been using LR since 2.0).

Any other thoughts?  Is there any way to create a new catalog from the old without. Total rebuild, I've got 10's of thousands of photos.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 4 and 4.1 backup problem
              web-weaver Community Member

Try optimizing separately from abckup; you know >File >Optimize catalog.

I don't know of any other way to create a new catalog, except >File >Export as Catalog. And I doubt if that would solve the problem because if there's a problem in your current catalog you'd export it to the new one.

Can you let it backup over night to see if it just needs more time?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 4 and 4.1 backup problem
                Jim Wilde Community Member

Try eliminating hardware as the possible cause.....temporarily set your backup destination to be an internal drive and try it again. If it works, you need to be looking at the hard drive. If you have the same problem, chances are it's a catalog issue. Before doing anything more drastic, I'd personally try a Preferences reset. There are other things that could be tried later if needed, let us know how this goes first.

In the meantime, are you taking backups of the catalog manually using the OS file system?

• 5. Re: Lightroom 4 and 4.1 backup problem
                  rickjolson Community Member

After trying most of the suggestions above with limited sucess I tried one additional thing that actually seems to have worked.  I reset the timeing of my screen saver from 30 minutes to 180 and, ta-dah, now optimize and backup work!  Now the screen saver kicking in may or may not have been "the problem" and its probably some combination of actions (and the general squirrlyness of my computer) but for now all is well. 

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 4 and 4.1 backup problem
                    bob frost Community Member

web-weaver wrote:

I don't know of any other way to create a new catalog, except >File >Export as Catalog. And I doubt if that would solve the problem because if there's a problem in your current catalog you'd export it to the new one.

I have done this several times, mainly after upgrades from 2-3 and 3-4, and it did solve a lot of strange problems for me. It can leave some problems behind.

Trashing your prefs and creating new ones can also solve strange problems.

Bob Frost