• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade Paths

Participant ,
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find anything about the change in upgrading paths from earlier versions to new ones.  Somewhere buried on the Adobe website was a statement saying we have to be on CS5 to upgrade to the next version.  Does this mean they've scrapped the three-versions back policy, or what I term "three strikes you're out!"  I've missed upgrades already because they sometimes come out too soon especially with the Point Five upgrades that to me are nothing more than updates demanding upgrade prices.

Does this mean if I'm still using a CS4 product that when CS6 comes out, I have to buy the software at full price?  Does this also apply to Acrobat and Premiere Pro which I seem to recall did not fall under this restriction.  I'm already on CS5 or .5 for some software, but I still need to upgrade Dreamweaver and Photoshop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe offered an olive branch.  The old 3 versions back policy will stay in effect until Dec 31 of this year.  After that you will have to have current verson to upgrade to next version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good that we have time to upgrade.  I read somewhere the CS6 versions were coming out in a few months and we had do be on the five series to upgrade.  I know they don't do upgrades to legacy versions (i.e., upgrade from CS4 to CS5 when the current one is CS6).

Thanks for the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William Boswell wrote:

I read somewhere the CS6 versions were coming out in a few months and we had do be on the five series to upgrade.

That was true until a customer outcry alerted Adobe to the poor timing of the new 1-version-back policy which culminated in this open letter to them from Scott Kelby in Nov 2011

http://scottkelby.com/2011/an-open-letter-to-adobe-systems/

In response, Adobe announced that 1-version-back will be relaxed for CS6 - but only until Dec 31, 2012.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq/upgrade-policy.html

So CS3 and CS4 users have until Dec 31 to upgrade to CS6.

After that date, 1-version-back applies to all upgrade cycles.

In other words, to continue enjoying upgrade pricing, everyone must upgrade with every upgrade cycle whether they like it or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that for stand alone products or just bundles, or both?  I saw something regarding bundles having to be at the fifth level to upgrade, but no mention of stand alones.  All my Adobe products were purchased separately.

Thanks for the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find any specific Adobe links related to standalone upgrades.

I did find this 3rd party article http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/12/AdobeUpgradePolicy

"Users of individual packages will also benefit from the offer."

Take from that what you will regarding the special offer.

Nothing more than my instinct and Adobe's track record tells me that 1-version-back will apply to all suites and standalones in future.

Out of interest: is there any particular reason you're not buying the Creative Suite which is much cheaper than purchasing several standalones? Was that a conscious decision or did your purchasing just evolve that way over the years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq/upgrade-policy.html>

This is all there is to it.  Nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just for the Creative Suites.  I don't know why Adobe has to be so vague.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JTANNA wrote:

<http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq/upgrade-policy.html>

This is all there is to it.  Nothing else.

That's only a partial answer.

That link has already been posted and discussed in this thread. It only clearly mentions suites - not standalones.

It's reasonable to expect that standalones will get the same treatment as suites but there's nothing definitive on the Adobe website.

Hence the ongoing discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The products were all purchased at different times and from different Creative Suites so that wouldn't have worked.

The third party review gives no links so the person posting that could be wrong especially since it can't be found on this website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Understood.

Hence my comment: "Take from that what you will regarding the special offer."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines