10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 9:01 PM by old_tv_nut

Lightroom - develop module - order of processing

John Spacey Level 1

Lightroom - develop module - order of processing

Hi folks, obviosuly Lightroomn employes non-desctructive editing, but can anyone say in which order the various sections/parameters of the develop module are acutally applied to the image

Cheers in advance

• 1. Re: Lightroom - develop module - order of processing
          Lee Jay Level 4

I suspect much of that is proprietary, and really I don't see why it matters to a user.  They are applied in a logical order (for example, you don't apply sharpening before noise reduction).

• 2. Re: Lightroom - develop module - order of processing
            LRuser24 Level 2

I think it's a valid question.

Not for general editing, but for some details, it could be important to know the processing order. See my related question in the feedback forum: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_4_what_is_the_order_of_ton e_presence_tone_curve_hsl_effects_and_split_toning_in_the_actual_acr

• 3. Re: Lightroom - develop module - order of processing
              John Spacey Level 1

just a bump. can any Lightroom employees answer this

• 4. Re: Lightroom - develop module - order of processing
                Cornelia-I Level 4

Hi John,

On this user-to-user forum you hardly meet Adobe employees.

To get closer to your question you might want to check out the content of user MadManChan - Eric Chan is THE Adobe  employee for such questions, as far as I understood.

Still I'd like to second Lee Jay that this absolute question might be a bit academic, because even with a perfect answer to it you still have to interpret "what does this mean for my develop editing? or for my exposure settings in camera when taking the picture, in conjunction with LR develop?"

If you approach it from another pragmatic way: what are you trying to achieve in develop where you struggle?

Rob Cole might have a lot of advice regarding that, as he has been through a lot of struggle in early LR4beta-days, and has come up with a heap of useful insights.

So a forum search for this content might be worth while as well.

Cornelia

• 5. Re: Lightroom - develop module - order of processing
                  dj_paige Level 9

I agree with Lee Jay.

Suppose you know the order of processing, you follow it, and then when you get to the last step, you look at the photo and decide it needs more contrast and a little more highlight adjustment? Then what have you gained by knowing the order of processing?

I'd be shocked if Adobe releases this order of processing publicly.

• 6. Re: Lightroom - develop module - order of processing
                    Rusty Sterling

No matter what version of LR, I have always found that processing order is an individual choice. I have read a few times to just start at the top and work down. And that might work for some people. I have a workflow that just happens to work very well for me and I don't work from the top down. In fact, I venture to say that a lot of the people here would disagree with my workflow.

In the end, it is all a matter of what your vision is for the final processed image. And like DJ said, even if I use my own workflow, I may be going back to things for minor adjustments or tweaks to get the image looking as I want it. Frankly, I do not think there is any "perfect" order for processing. We all approach this differently.

• 7. Re: Lightroom - develop module - order of processing
                      elie-d Level 4

I have always found that processing order is an individual choice.

Uh, no, it isn't. It is hard-wired and unalterable. The OP wasn't asking about in what order the sliders should be moved, but rather about the real processing that happens only when the Export button is pushed and which is not affected by the order of slider movements.

• 8. Re: Lightroom - develop module - order of processing
                        Jeff Schewe Level 5

John Spacey wrote:

just a bump. can any Lightroom employees answer this

It's highly unlikely you'll ever get a complete answer because the ACR/LR processing pipeline is proprietary. That and the end user doesn't need to know the order since they can't change it and the order that a user may set the adjustments has zero impact on the processing order. I have a pretty good idea about the order but it doesn't impact the way I adjust images.

• 9. Re: Lightroom - develop module - order of processing
                          Rusty Sterling Level 1

Yes, it is a choice. And my choice is to turn off "auto tone adjustments."

• 10. Re: Lightroom - develop module - order of processing
                            old_tv_nut

I just did an experiment with color correcting a scan of a very strongly red/magenta-faded slide.

The order of correction that works, which can be done by corrections layers in Photoshop, is curves(or levels) (to get the color balance correct in shadows, midtones and highlights), followed by a saturation increase if needed, which does not alter the neutral balance that was obtained by curves. If you attempt to do the same in Lightroom, it becomes obvious that the saturation adjustment is applied prior to the curves adjustment. Since the original is all shades of red/magenta, increasing saturation in Lightroom changes the saturations of all the pink shades, which means the curves adjustments settings made before the saturation setting was changed no longer make the colors balanced (and very badly so).

Lightroom: first applies saturation adjustment; then applies curves adjustments. - no way to change the order. If it happens to be wrong for your purpose, you need to go to Photoshop.

Photoshop: order of curves adjustment and saturation adjustment is controlled by the stacking order of adjustment layers.