7 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2012 6:35 PM by BrianJL RSS

Transferring/Upgrading to Photoshop Elements 10 from PC to Mac - Problems with backup and restore

Sundog7 Community Member

I've been attempting to transfer my entire photo collection (WITH TAGS) to my new Mac to no avail.

What I have done:

Installed PSE10 on my new Mac.

Successfully exported and imported my tags (created and transferred a .xml file) into PSE10 on my Mac.  (Perhaps this duplicates the next step I took writing tag info to files??)

After using the File>Write Tag Info To Files command on my old PC (this took a considerable amount of time to write), I followed the instructions for backup of my photos.  This also took a considerable amount of time (10,000 photos).

I now have a backup file on an external drive (10,000 files labeled B****.JPG, one Backup.tly file, and one My Catalog.buc file) ready to restore on my Mac.

The problem:

All attempts to restore the file from the external drive to my Mac have failed.  I have attempted to restore the file to a 'new location'. . .a folder on my C:\ drive.  Error message:  "The disk in drive does not contain a valid backup."  This error messages occurs regardless of whether the box "Restore original folder structure" is checked or not.

I would appreciate any specific advice someone may be able to provide. . .thanks!