38 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2012 8:49 PM by keptlight RSS

Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

keptlight Community Member

A couple of nits to pick about Lightroom 4, addressing these will create a much stronger product:

1. The clarity slider now makes substantial structural and tonal changes, especially visible on smooth surfaces like skin. This makes is much less useful and usable than the earlier versions. Yes, it prevents halos, but the result is generally unacceptable for me anywhere beyond 15-20 depending on the image.

2. The print module still does not have a good way of placing text with precise control below the image on the template. I have a workaround, but it is, well, a workaround. The watermark feature has a great set of tools, why not enable them for the identity plate placement on the page? The watermark feature allows for placing the text outside the image with negative offsets but then it is not visible! Why have this option and then hide the text?

3. I would love to have multiple line text in the print module with a simple graphic line without doing all that in Photoshop and bringing it as a graphic identity plate. See example of workaround and one output from LR at:

http://www.keptlight.com/2012/01/print-to-file-for-lab-printing/

See what I would like to get direct from Lightroom, top left image at:

http://www.keptlight.com/shop/orchid-prints/

• 1. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
          DV8OR1 Community Member

I have to concur with "keptlight" the new clarity slider is dreadful...bordering on unusable. Please bring back the old algorithm or at least allow us to choose which one to use.

• 2. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
            dj_paige Community Member

One vote in favor of keeping the new Process 2012 clarity slider unchanged.

• 3. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
              Lee Jay Community Member

dj_paige wrote:

One vote in favor of keeping the new Process 2012 clarity slider unchanged.

+1

• 4. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

Thanks to all for chiming in. I brought to the attnetion of engineers at Adobe a technical problem. I can see why you may like the new clarity slider because of the way it creates a different look when pushed towards its high end. However, the main purpose of the clarity slider is to "clarify" things rather than muddy areas. That, the muddy look can be achieved in other ways, but the clear and crips view cannot be without the aid of the clarity slider. The alternative is not to use it at all for users who expect the clarity-based enhancement and rely more on sharpening tools. This version of LR upgrade has been underwhelming for me.

• 5. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
                  Lee Jay Community Member

keptlight wrote:

However, the main purpose of the clarity slider is to "clarify" things rather than muddy areas. That, the muddy look can be achieved in other ways, but the clear and crips view cannot be without the aid of the clarity slider.

You're saying the new Clarity can't "clarify" things?  I beg to differ.  This was shot through a dirty shaded window on a hazy day, and the new Clarity certainly helped a lot.

PV2012 Clarity.jpg

• 6. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
                    dj_paige Community Member

keptlight wrote:

Thanks to all for chiming in. I brought to the attnetion of engineers at Adobe a technical problem. I can see why you may like the new clarity slider because of the way it creates a different look when pushed towards its high end. However, the main purpose of the clarity slider is to "clarify" things rather than muddy areas. That, the muddy look can be achieved in other ways, but the clear and crips view cannot be without the aid of the clarity slider. The alternative is not to use it at all for users who expect the clarity-based enhancement and rely more on sharpening tools. This version of LR upgrade has been underwhelming for me.

I don't understand your point, but I agree with Lee Jay and his example, my experience has been that the clarity slider does very nice things to my photos. I haven't had a problem with it.

Maybe you could show us an example where the clarity slider doesn't achieve the effect you think it should produce.

• 7. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

Clarity slider in both versions of Lightroom, 3 and 4, is designed to increase the mid tone contrast, thus giving the image a "clearer" appearance. In LR3, if you pushed the slider a bit too much you could get halos around the edges, but not always. In LR4, the halo problem is gone, but a different problem emerged. They have extended the area this slider affects a bit too much to minimize the halos. The result is an unwanted tone change on smooth tones, like skin or sky, or even the lighter side of a building. It will result in unwanted and uncontrolled darkening of these smooth areas. It is still useful if you do not push it too much. I find it useless after about 20-30 out of its full range of 100 since the tonal structure of the image starts to change. Take a look at the three photos. The first one is the way I want the tonality, the second one has old clarity slider pushed to 100, which is not what I would normally do but want to show the full effect. Note that there is no significant even noticeable change in the darks and lights, but the photograph looks clearer, crisper. Now, take a look at the third image where the new clarity is pushed to 100. You will see that the white bowl is no longer white, and the fruits are significantly darker. This change starts to be visible after the new clarity slider is pushed beyond 30 or so, depending on the image. Take a look at the inside rim of the bowl, it now has something like soot smeared on it. The orange has pock-marked skin rather than orange peel.

Since I bring the tonal structure of the photo to a point that I want before I apply the clarity, I do not want any changes to it. That's my point. You may be after the look the new clarity slider provides, the grunge look. In fact, I have read some Photoshop "gurus" referring to the clarity slider being able to create that look. But, that is not the purpose of the clarity, it is not a special effects tool, but one that enhances local contrast and adds appearance of "clarity" to the images.

fruits-1.jpg

fruits-2.jpg

fruits-3.jpg

• 8. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
                        Lee Jay Community Member

keptlight wrote:

Now, take a look at the third image where the new clarity is pushed to 100.

As you've been told, the new Clarity is about twice as powerful as the old one.  Thus, this isn't a fair comparison.  If you push the old one to 100, push the new one to 50.  If you really want the old one at 40, put the new one at 20.

The new one doesn't change saturation as much as the old one either.  If you liked that saturation change, you'll have to add saturation as you add clarity.

• 9. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

OK, this one is at exactly +50. As I said, the darkening of the smooth surfaces begins a good deal before 100. You can see it in the comparison of this image to the second one done with LR3 at 100. If you like, save the first image fruits1.jpg and open it in Lightroom. Start moving the clarity slider to the right and see where the inside rim of the plate starts getting darker. This is contrary to the intended purpose of local contrast which lightens the lighter side and darkens the darker side, as if using the unsharp mask in Photoshop with a large radius and low amount. What is happening here is that the lighter areas are getting darker, quite possibly to minimize the halos.

fruits-4.jpg

• 10. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
                            Lee Jay Community Member

Fruits2 has a big nasty dark halo around the highlight on the Apple, making it look like a bruise.  This dark spot isn't present in the Fruits4 image.

Yes, the tonality is different between PV2010 and PV2012, but this can be controlled.  I generally add around 10 Clarity at import (in fact, I have it as part of my CR defaults), which means my tone adjustments account for it.

• 11. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

I guess we will agree to disagree on the merits of the new clarity slider. I was pointing out a significant change in the way clarity was implemented. You seem to have found a workaround and it works for you, that's great. I prefer to use the tools that remain in their own intended domains, which I find more predictable rather than making extra compensation for the tool that spills over into other areas, in this case the tonal shift.

• 12. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
                                -Agfaclack- Community Member

i find the new clarity slider better then the old one. there are enough tools to deal with the tonal change.

but then i rarely go over values of 25-35 with the new tool.

the benefits are worth it.. imo.

• 13. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
                                  Lee Jay Community Member

keptlight wrote:

I guess we will agree to disagree on the merits of the new clarity slider. I was pointing out a significant change in the way clarity was implemented. You seem to have found a workaround and it works for you, that's great. I prefer to use the tools that remain in their own intended domains, which I find more predictable rather than making extra compensation for the tool that spills over into other areas, in this case the tonal shift.

The tonal shift is currently unavoidable, but it has been minimized.  Given the advantages of more power and almost no halos, it's worth just getting used to it, just like all the other new controls in PV2012.

• 14. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

Tonal shift has NOT been minimized but newly introduced. If you look at the original photo and the rim of the bowl, then look at the fourth image. You will see that the rim has no "clarity" added, in fact it has become less clear because the inside got darker for some reason. Now, one has to go in and lighten those areas. Take a look at the second photo you will actually see the rim "clearer" because the local contrast has been increased slightly by making the lights lighter and darks darker. That's how we gain clarity. In the fourth image that is lacking for me.

On some counts LR4 develop module is much better, like the elimination of the confusion between Exposure and Brightness sliders about which I wrote two posts:

http://www.keptlight.com/2011/07/lightroom-exposure-brightness/

http://www.keptlight.com/2011/08/ligtroom-exposure-brightness-2/

That is a good thing, more predictable tools rather than those that one had to guess as to their function. Sharpening is also much better. But the print module is also botched up:

http://www.keptlight.com/2012/03/lightroom-4-printing-issues/

http://www.keptlight.com/2012/03/lr4-print-issues-part-2/

That is not good.

So, as the saying goes, "you win some, you lose some".

• 15. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

keptlight wrote:

Tonal shift has NOT been minimized but newly introduced. If you look at the original photo and the rim of the bowl, then look at the fourth image. You will see that the rim has no "clarity" added, in fact it has become less clear because the inside got darker for some reason. Now, one has to go in and lighten those areas. Take a look at the second photo you will actually see the rim "clearer" because the local contrast has been increased slightly by making the lights lighter and darks darker. That's how we gain clarity. In the fourth image that is lacking for me.

but you also notice the dark halo in the second picture.

and this is only one example. i found the new clarity much better then the old one for images who have fine detail.

keptlight wrote:

That is a good thing, more predictable tools rather than those that one had to guess as to their function. Sharpening is also much better. But the print module is also botched up:

http://www.keptlight.com/2012/03/lightroom-4-printing-issues/

http://www.keptlight.com/2012/03/lr4-print-issues-part-2/

i normaly have printed from photoshop in the past.. so i have not noticed this.

you should have a look at this thread (maybe he has the same problem):

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/984507?tstart=0

• 16. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
                                        Lee Jay Community Member

keptlight wrote:

Tonal shift has NOT been minimized but newly introduced.

It's been minimized given the new technique.

Sharpening is also much better.

Really?  To my knowledge, nothing has changed with sharpening in LR 4.

• 17. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

-Agfaclack- take a look at the light hitting the rim in the original photo. That has been enhanced in the second photo by making lighter tones a little lighter, and darker tones a little darker. In the last, fourth photo the light hitting the rim is almost eliminated with the inside of the bowl becoming considerably darker. I am not arguing matters of taste, you may like that look and that is perfectly fine. I am arguing that the tool has become too aggressive and spreads its effect too far, that's why we see the significant darkening. Yes, that approach reduces the halos, but it also reduces the detail as you can see on the rim. Should the rim become less clear after applying clarity or should it become clearer? As I said earlier, I am not trying to convince anyone that the tool should not be used. That would be inappropriate. I am pointing out the way in which the tool alters the tonal structure of the photograph. Adding clarity or sharpening is generally done after color and tonal corrections. Now, after applying some level of clarity I need to revisit the tonal adjustment and maybe even use a local adjustment brush to clean some areas. That, TO ME, is not a good workflow. To others, it may be fine. That's why I said we will agree to disagree on this matter.

• 18. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

Lee Jay, maybe you are right. Thanks.

• 19. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

keptlight wrote:

-Agfaclack- take a look at the light hitting the rim in the original photo. That has been enhanced in the second photo by making lighter tones a little lighter, and darker tones a little darker.

i see that.. and it IS maybe bad for this image. thought i found the halo of the old clarity not nice either.

but it´s only one image. and the rim is a rather large feature.
                                              that does not mean there are a lot of images where the new clarity works better then the old one.

i use clarity mostly to enhance the "microcontrast"... maybe that is why it does not bother me.

• 20. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

-Agfaclack- microcontrast is exactly the way it should work, we found something to agree on! When it increases the microcontrast, it does so by changnig the tonal values on the lighter and darker sides of edges within a certain radius. In LR4, the radius seems to have been greatly increased, that's the reason we see the muddying of the smooth and lighter surfaces that are not even near the areas that need microcontrast enhancements. Here are three more photographs. The first one as it came from the camera, the second in LR 2010 clarity full 100, the third is LR 2012 clarity at 50. You will notice that the second image appears sharper but the top edge of the sky or most of it for that matter does not get any darker. In the third image, you will see the tree appearing less sharp but the sky is becoming darker, even at the top edge of the frame. There is definitely no reason for that area to get dark at all. We are talking about local contrast, microcontrast.

The behavior in the 2010 process is very predictable, whereas the 2012 process is not predictable at all. One never knows at what point what area will get smudges.

IMG_0232-1.jpg

IMG_0232-2.jpg

IMG_0232-3.jpg

• 21. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

i will have an open eye for that in the future.

can´t say much about it yet but i will look out for it.

as i said i don´t use such high values for clarity and i have not noticed it in the past weeks that i used LR 4.

what i noticed is that the halos are gone/reduced.

• 22. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

Last set of examples to illustrate the unpredictable nature of the clarity slider even at low settings. You will see four images, _MG_2559-1.jpg and _MG_2559-3.jpg are processed in LR 2010, the first is as it came from the camera and the second with calrity at 50. The second set, _MG_2559-2.jpg and _MG_2559-4.jpg are from LR 2012. Note that in _MG_2559-3.jpg the lines are crisper without making surfaces darker or lighter. Whereas in _MG_2559-4.jpg, the balloon becomes noticeably darker and the sky lighter. The 2010 process is doing microcontrast, local contrast adjustment and 2012 seems to do a broader contrast change. That's it, I have given enough examples for anyone to ponder and find their own workarounds. One thing is for sure, one MUST reevaluate the tonal structure of the image after applying any level of clarity, not only in the light areas but also in the dark areas and make necessary adjustments afterwards. Every time the clarity slider is changed, this reevaluation should be done again. You may want to download the images and view them one after the other without the back-and-forth in the browser.

Here are the last set of samples:

_MG_2559-1.jpg from LR 2010

_MG_2559-1.jpg

_MG_2559-3.jpg from LR 2010 with clarity at 50

_MG_2559-3.jpg

_MG_2559-2.jpg from LR 2012 with no adjustments

_MG_2559-2.jpg

_MG_2559-4.jpg from LR 2012 with clarity at 25

_MG_2559-4.jpg

• 23. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
                                                      Lee Jay Community Member

keptlight wrote:

The 2010 process is doing microcontrast,...

That's a side effect of large radius USM.  Ideally, it shouldn't be doing that.  Sharpening and detail are for that.  Clarity is for local contrast.

• 24. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

I'm glad we found something to agree on. I think you are referring to LR 2012 doing large radius USM, or something similar to that. What LR 2010 does is more like a high pass sharpening with a modest radius to affect mostly the edge acutance. Thank you all for engaging in this conversation, I have developed enough samples to write a new post on my site.

• 25. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
                                                          noalorama5 Community Member

I must agree with keptlight on the new clarity, I think it should be definitely improved or changed in some way.
                                                          It is kinda heavy. It darkens shadows on some photos too much and on the other hand it lights up whites/highlights too much. It's very visible on flash pictures with people. I´m talking about clarity around 40. I don't understand why the new clarity is so strong when others like shadows are not. So when someone wants the fill light LR3 effect you have to also fiddle with other sliders like blacks and maybe tone curve and such to have that effect. The same with the new clarity, you end up playing with blacks, shadows, highlights and contrast to overcome this strong effect. What I´m trying to say is that either way it slows down the processing.

samples: top down: 0 ,40,100 clarity for you to to see that effect.

IMG_7777_cr.jpgIMG_7777-2_cr.jpg

IMG_7777-3_cr.jpg

clarity brightening: 0,40,100

IMG_7916.jpg

IMG_7916-2.jpg

IMG_7916-3.jpg

• 26. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
                                                            Lee Jay Community Member

keptlight wrote:

I'm glad we found something to agree on. I think you are referring to LR 2012 doing large radius USM, or something similar to that. What LR 2010 does is more like a high pass sharpening with a modest radius to affect mostly the edge acutance. Thank you all for engaging in this conversation, I have developed enough samples to write a new post on my site.

No, PV2010 does something like large radius USM.  PV2012 uses the adaptive tone mapping of the rest of the controls.

• 27. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
                                                              Lee Jay Community Member

Clarity of 40 is really a lot (equivalent to old Clarity 80).  I generally use around 20 with the old version and 10 of the new version.  Extreme examples like the one I posted above need more (that's 60 in the new version - beyond the capabilities of the old version) but most images need just a touch.  If you're using a lot on images that don't have a lot of haze or fog to cut through, you just aren't using it right.

• 28. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

Ok, I understand, but why is it so strong now, just for hazy pictures? In pv2010 it didn´t create such a big tonal changes even at those equivalent levels.

Sometimes the new clarity is really good on some pictures, but sometimes really not. The point is, it looks worse to me now on these than older clarity with halos.

• 29. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

@Lee Jay, Oh, bummer! I thought I found a common point. But, that's OK. LR3 clarity is very much like a high pass sharpening. The new one seems to mix some tone mapping for some reason.

• 30. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

Lee Jay wrote:

Clarity of 40 is really a lot (equivalent to old Clarity 80).  I generally use around 20 with the old version and 10 of the new version.  Extreme examples like the one I posted above need more (that's 60 in the new version - beyond the capabilities of the old version) but most images need just a touch.  If you're using a lot on images that don't have a lot of haze or fog to cut through, you just aren't using it right.

The balloon example I posted uses clarity of 25 yet you can see the significan tonal change.

• 31. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

noalorama5 wrote:

I must agree with keptlight on the new clarity, I think it should be definitely improved or changed in some way.
                                                                      It is kinda heavy. It darkens shadows on some photos too much and on the other hand it lights up whites/highlights too much. It's very visible on flash pictures with people. I´m talking about clarity around 40. I don't understand why the new clarity is so strong when others like shadows are not. So when someone wants the fill light LR3 effect you have to also fiddle with other sliders like blacks and maybe tone curve and such to have that effect. The same with the new clarity, you end up playing with blacks, shadows, highlights and contrast to overcome this strong effect. What I´m trying to say is that either way it slows down the processing.

noalorama5, your people examples are exactly what I was referring to, I am glad you posted them. The "grunge" look should not be the end result of increasing apparent clarity, shaprness of any image. I think, and I hope, they will come up with an option that will allow the user to choose what kind of clarity to apply to images. Even at extreme clarity adjustments to 100 in the old LR 2010 did not cause this kind of wide reaching tonal changes, changes that are also unpredictable. In the balloon example, there is NO reason to darken the surface area on the balloon, none that I can think of as a result of adding clarity.

• 32. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
                                                                        Lee Jay Community Member

noalorama5 wrote:

Ok, I understand, but why is it so strong now, just for hazy pictures? In pv2010 it didn´t create such a big tonal changes even at those equivalent levels.

That's correct - the new version creates larger global tonal changes than the old one did.  But it's more powerful and doesn't create halos.  You win some, you lose some.

• 33. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

Lee Jay wrote:

But it's more powerful and doesn't create halos.  You win some, you lose some.

It is "more powerful" in what way(s)? It does not create halos by affecting a much larger area than it should. Yet, its "sharpening" effect is not any better than the LR3's may even be less effective. (I am using "sharpening" to define the outcome, I am not using clarity to sharpen images, just in case it is misunderstood.) My examples above will support what I am saying.

BTW, it will be great, on this Adobe forum, to hear from Adobe at least on occasion.

• 34. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

I definitely support your observations with clarity, it is well described and you've made some valid points keptlight. I think the main problem is clearly visible with the samples we posted.

If I remember I could use clarity in pv2010 to the point without halos, but now it changes highlights/shadows too much if you want to achieve the same microcontrast level as before as I see.

Well, my opinion is: I think it is worth for Adobe to reconsider  the new clarity behavior/algorithm at least. Or better improve it. The way I see it, the new clarity is not necessarily an improvement  

• 37. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module
                                                                              ssprengel MVP

I like the new Clarity and wish it was a little stronger.  I like that the areas that are enhanced are not merely high-contrast edges, but larger and more subtle areas of the photo—wide-area contrast, not just micro-contrast.

• 38. Re: Lightroom improvement suggestions, Clarity slider and Print module

A little stronger than 100 at the high end? It currently helps to create that "faux HDR look" for users who are after that. With more strength, that feature will definitely be enhanced. If the user is interested in simply adding "clarity" not "tonality", the useful range is typically limited to 0-20 with tolerable tonal shift. I find it inadequate and provided examples for that. It would be great to see some samples from the proponents of the new clarity engine.

By the way, the "faux HDR look" is an expression I heard in a Julieanne Kost program on Adobe TV referring to the clarity slider use, not my term but it fits the current behavior well:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/whats-new-in-lightroom-4/lightroom-4-develop-module/

Essentially the term "clarity" has been redefined and a tool for that is added to the tool set. The old tool to a large extent does not exist anymore.