• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not Enough Memory Errors

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting a fair number of these when working in LR4 and exporting photos [1 at a time] while selecting photos by jumping back and forth between Library and Map Module ...

LR4NotEnoughMemory.jpg

After getting this, all attempts to export will fail; only solution is to exit LR4, which seems to destroy any open instance of IE9.

While exporting, not actively doing anything else on PC.

After LR4 closes, and I close IE9, PC runs really slow for severak minutes, even if all open tasks are closed out.

After PC settles down, can open LR4 and continue exporting photos.

Working on Vista 32 with 2GB RAM; when every slows down, Task Manager shows basically nothing happening with any process.

Is this a know issue; any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2gb is way underpowered. Try 8 minimum. RAM is very cheap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed that 2GB is seriously deficient. However, since you are on a 32-bit version of Vista, you won't get any benefit by installing 8GB since the OS will only recognize 3GB. So I'd suggest you upgrade to 4GB at least -- even though you'll only have 3GB available for programs. That would be the very least I'd suggest.

But, frankly, I'd upgrade to a 64-bit system (Win7) and 8GB of RAM. You will see a serious increase in performance all around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, good catch Rusty, no more than 2 (2.25 actually) in 32-bit, so I second Rusty's recommendation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brett & Rusty ...

Thanks for the suggestions; more RAM would certainly be helpful.

What is interesting is that I've exported many photos [often in batches] with LR4 without issues; it is only when I started applying develop settings to the exported photos did I start getting the out of memory dialogs.  Maybe related?

But no doubt that upgrading the PC to a 64 bit box would be the thing to do; maybe after Win 8 gets final release.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, I wouldn't wait for Win 8. It is designed primarily for a touch-screen experience similar to tablets and smart phones. While Win 7 is also not very well thought of, I'd still go with it over Win 8. I use Win 7 on one of my laptops and on a partition on my iMac (it's for programs I need but cannot get for Mac). I'm not unhappy with it at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same misstake!

LW3.6 works fine on my W7 32bit 4GByte RAM.

But LW4 Not Enough Memory and slow!

Where is not come a update I no buy this Version!

nice day

mangray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that mangray. It seems 64-bit is the key. With 32-bit you are not using the full 4GB of RAM. It is important that besides having a 64-bit OS you also need a platform (i.e., computer) that supports 64-bit. Adobe has not hidden anything regarding the 64-bit necessity for LR4. They did accommodate those on Windows 32-bit machines running Vista and up (nothing for 32-bit Mac users). But they did not promise a bed of roses. Technology is ever advancing and that includes the platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Rusty,

This are the official ADOBE spec.

Windows

• Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
  • Microsoft® Windows Vista® with Service Pack 2 or Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 1GB of available hard-disk space
  • 1024x768 display
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • Internet connection required for Internet-based services*

Premiere, Photoshop etc runs fine, my friend have a similar System it runs

better, no Error

I export only one Picture in LR4 and its come Not Enough Memory.

I export in LR3.6 120 Pictures and works fine!!!!

nice day

mangray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP - But no doubt that upgrading the PC to a 64 bit box would be the thing to do; maybe after Win 8 gets final release.

No reason to wait. Windows 7 is an absolutely brilliant OS, and Win8 is basically Win7 with a new mobile interface added on top of it (that can easily be turned off).

Rusty - While Win 7 is also not very well thought of

Where? No way.

Ok Rusty,

This are the official ADOBE spec.

Like a "two-person" tent. Minimum specs should not be taken seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll offer a little more input here ...

I've been watching memory usage [with Task Manager]; normally, total memory in use will stay under 1.6 GB; but for some reason, if I work continuously in LR4 [going back and forth between Library and Map] placing photos on a map background, after a while, memory usage will then start to creep upwards towards 1.9 GB.

From my past experiences testing demanding software for software manufacturing companies, this behavior is often suggestive of a memory leak within the [LR4] application.

I understand that, on 32 bit machines, LR4 is coded so as not use more than 1 GB RAM, so a creep up in memory use [only LR4 in use] might indicate some buffer clearing is not always working as expected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen LR4 use more than 8gb of my 16gb of ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem, and I'm running 16gb physical memory (32bit Win7).  I'm having the same problem with 4.0 and RC 4.1.  I've uninstalled and am dropping back to 3.6.  I'll just wait until this beta testing phase is over and the real release version comes out (Version 4.5?).  It's too much hassle for me to pay adobe to do their beta testing for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is not a problem of memory ....... the original catalog that lightroom create do not allow you to save ...... try to create a new catalog and move all your photos to that catalog and export from the new catalog. Good luck

cg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Try creating a new catalog ..... that was the solution on my computer and still working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar problem but my RAM is 4GB and im running windows 10. No amount of adjusting jpeg size/quality would let it export the edited image to the hard drive. Got it to work by left clicking the 'windows icon' in the lower lefthand corner, then right clicking on the 'Lightroom' app/program and then left clicking on 'run as administrator'... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2016 Jul 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice, it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines