6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2014 12:11 PM by ChuckN RSS

When clicking on signature field in PDF, Internet Explorer 9 "stops working"

KJSTech Community Member

I am with a financial institution and in house we have a web server application that allows our reps to open loan documents and they review them with the client and sign them electronically.  There are Topaz GemPlus signature pads they use to sign signature fields and when this is done the web application seals the documents and they are archived into our document imaging system.

The problem is we have a new branch office with brand new PC's using the following software:

Windows 7 64bit

Adobe Acrobat X Standard 10.1.2

Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421 Update Versions: 9.0.5 (KB2647516) Cipher Strength: 256-bit.

In adobe under tools > preference > security we have the TopazGemPlus device set as the signing device.  If we open a PDF by itself this works.

However when we use our web application and click on a signature field, Internet Explorer "stops working" according to windows.

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
        Application Name:iexplore.exe
        Application Version:9.0.8112.16421
        Application Timestamp:4d76255d
        Fault Module Name:mfc100.dll
        Fault Module Version:10.0.30319.415
        Fault Module Timestamp:4d26e497
        Exception Code:c0000005
        Exception Offset:00246293
        OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
        Locale ID:1033
        Additional Information 1:0a9e
        Additional Information 2:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
        Additional Information 3:0a9e
        Additional Information 4:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Is this a problem with IE or Adobe or what and do you have any suggestions as to how to resolve?

In our main office Adobe 9 works fine with IE8 but that's not what was installed on these new machines from Dell.  Heck, you can't even buy Adobe 9 anymore and why would we double pay for Adobe 9 when Adobe X was part of the cost of the new machines.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: When clicking on signature field in PDF, Internet Explorer 9 "stops working"
          KJSTech Community Member

Hmm, I got the error to stop and performed a successful loan signing by disabling all the adobe add-ons in Internet Explorer.

Click the gear icon > Manage Add-ons

Highlight all 4 items under Adobe Systems, Incorporated and click Disable

Adobe PDF

Adobe PDF Link Helper

Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar

SmartSelect Class

Now it worked. 

I just have to see what the add-on GUID is and try to come up with a regedit (since this only applies to HKCU).  I need to create a .reg script that is imported for any user that logs on to ensure these bad add-ons are disabled.

Now maybe it was coincidence but disabling these 4 add-ons clearly fixed my IE9 crashing problem.  I never did like Adobe acrobat add-ons anyway.  If I wanted to convert the page to PDF I would simply print and choose Adobe PDF as my printer... duh.  And who needs additional toolbars taking up screen real-estate and complicating the UI.

• 2. Re: When clicking on signature field in PDF, Internet Explorer 9 "stops working"
            KJSTech Community Member

Well that didn't fix all of them.

I have another trouble machine and even with those add-ons disabled, opening a PDF in browser with signatures embedded result in:

Log Name:      Application
            Source:        Application Error
            Date:          4/4/2012 11:43:45 AM
            Event ID:      1000
            Task Category: (100)
            Level:         Error
            Keywords:      Classic
            User:          N/A

Description:
            Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 9.0.8112.16421, time stamp: 0x4d76255d
            Faulting module name: mfc100.dll, version: 10.0.30319.415, time stamp: 0x4d26e497
            Exception code: 0xc0000005
            Fault offset: 0x00246293
            Faulting process id: 0x1420
            Faulting application start time: 0x01cd1279b68a4476
            Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
            Faulting module path: C:\windows\system32\mfc100.dll
            Report Id: f5cddc7a-7e6c-11e1-ad5a-4c80931d5ba9
            Event Xml:
            <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
              <System>
                <Provider Name="Application Error" />
                <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
                <Level>2</Level>
                <Task>100</Task>
                <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
                <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-04-04T15:43:45.000000000Z" />
                <EventRecordID>7173</EventRecordID>
                <Channel>Application</Channel>

<Security />
              </System>
              <EventData>
                <Data>iexplore.exe</Data>
                <Data>9.0.8112.16421</Data>
                <Data>4d76255d</Data>
                <Data>mfc100.dll</Data>
                <Data>10.0.30319.415</Data>
                <Data>4d26e497</Data>
                <Data>c0000005</Data>
                <Data>00246293</Data>
                <Data>1420</Data>
                <Data>01cd1279b68a4476</Data>
                <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe</Data>
                <Data>C:\windows\system32\mfc100.dll</Data>
                <Data>f5cddc7a-7e6c-11e1-ad5a-4c80931d5ba9</Data>
              </EventData>
            </Event>

• 3. Re: When clicking on signature field in PDF, Internet Explorer 9 "stops working"
              KJSTech Community Member

Yup every time i click on a signature field I get that error. What the heck is going on here?

i tried reinstalling the topaz gem sign plus adobe plugin for the signature pad and that didn't help.

If i sign a signature field from loading a PDF its fine. If I do it within the browser it errors out.

• 4. Re: When clicking on signature field in PDF, Internet Explorer 9 "stops working"
                AdamTech1 Community Member

I also just ran into this issue with IE faulting at module mfc100.dll.

Latest build of Adobe Reader XI and Internet Explorer 9.

I followed the instructions to disable all Adobe Addons in IE and this resolved the issue.

Will there be a fix for this so we can display PDF's in browser and still sign documents?

• 5. Re: When clicking on signature field in PDF, Internet Explorer 9 "stops working"
                  icondoit02 Community Member

I am having an issue with this. Was this ever resolved? Tried to disable add-ons and it still crashes.

• 6. Re: When clicking on signature field in PDF, Internet Explorer 9 "stops working"
                    ChuckN Community Member

If you are using a BlueTooth Topaz Signature Pad and have Acrobat Pro installed, we're experiencing the same. If you're using a USB signature pad, our resolution was to disable, "Enable Protected Mode at Startup" under Edit --> Preferences --> Security (Enhanced)

-Chuck