5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2012 11:40 AM by polar_bare RSS

Concerning header files and include files

Earl Kurburski Community Member

I presently have a site I created in Frontpage 2003, Gunshows-USA.com.  It has seperate pages for each state and month.  I had a header file called head.shmtl that I included on each page.  This allowed me to create one file and reuse it on 50 different pages.  I was also able to place it on the page in such a way that I could include it under the Title of the page and even iinsert an indiviual banner above the header.shtml.  Will I be able to do basically  the same thing with Dreamwaver 5.5s header and footer function?  If so, is there anything special I need to be aware of?

• 1. Re: Concerning header files and include files
          osgood_ MVP

Earl Kurburski wrote:

I presently have a site I created in Frontpage 2003, Gunshows-USA.com.  It has seperate pages for each state and month.  I had a header file called head.shmtl that I included on each page.  This allowed me to create one file and reuse it on 50 different pages.  I was also able to place it on the page in such a way that I could include it under the Title of the page and even iinsert an indiviual banner above the header.shtml.  Will I be able to do basically  the same thing with Dreamwaver 5.5s header and footer function?  If so, is there anything special I need to be aware of?

Never heard of the header and footer function in DW5.5 unless they are html5 specific tags you can now insert.

Dreamweaver still lets you include .shtml include files or php include files........so you would just do the same as what you have always done.

• 2. Re: Concerning header files and include files
            John Waller MVP

Earl Kurburski wrote:

Will I be able to do basically  the same thing with Dreamwaver 5.5s header and footer function?

Can you elaborate on what you're referring to here?

I'm not aware of any special header and footer function in 5.5.

• 3. Re: Concerning header files and include files
              polar_bare Community Member

Looking at the page code, you are just using Server Side Includes for the footer, not sure about your header. Function tagged on the end of these has no meaning to myself and guessing, the other here. As Os states above, you can still include them in your pages.

Insert/Server Side Includes (at the location of your curser), then browse to the file.

Jim

• 4. Re: Concerning header files and include files
                Earl Kurburski Community Member

I guess I didn't quite explain myself as well as I should have. 

1st I had used include files on my site for a header and a footer but the site broke and when I got it back up it was necessary to load code for each header file to each page to get it to appear.  I am not presently using include files on the site.  The site was created in FrontPage 2003 and I intend on migrating it to Dreamweaver as soon as I know a little more about what I'm doing with DW

2nd.  When I had the include files working I did NOT have to change everything on every page when I wanted to change something in the header or footer.  The way I have it set up now I do.

3rd.  Going through different tutorials books, etc I see that I can create a file with a header, a body, and a footer from the templates that are built into the program.  An example is the 3 column fixed, header and footer. My question is, if I use this layout will that layout follow throughout the site and will I be able to basically do the same as I did when I was using includes?  Will a change to the header file change every header file?

4th.  Can I position the header file sot that it has space above it.  Or another words can I have the header file appear in the middle of the page?

5th.  Is if possible to have more than one header or footer file and be able to call the one I want or use all one after another?

• 5. Re: Concerning header files and include files
                  polar_bare Community Member

Use of a template will not give you the results you are looking for. If you update the template, each local page will update but will still have to be uploaded to the server individually. If what you edited on the template is used on ten pages, ten pages will have to be uploaded to your webserver. So no, you will not be able to update one file across the website on multiple pages. Server Side Includes is what will do that.

A template is just that, a way of keeping consistancy throughout your site.

Jim