• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving a large Number Of Objects From One Layer To Another?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi People.

I created a picture book in AID CS5. It has a large nuber of pages. However when I originally created it, I forgot to construct a series of layers, so all the objects are now in one layer.

I now want to assign each 2 page spread their own layer. I've created all the layers I will need, but I find it a bit tiresome moving each object individually, in the Layers panel, from the original layer to the new layer it has been assigned.

Is there anyway that I can move, on mass, all the chosen objects from the original layer to the new assigned layer.

Thanks In Advance

Gary.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

You didn't let go of the Option/Alt key after the first step.

(1) You use Option-Alt when you click on the original layer to select everything on the layer.

(2) Then release Option-Alt. Then drag the square to the new layer.

Holding Option-Alt in the 2nd step makes copies of the objects to the new layer. Without holding down Option-Alt, the objects are MOVED, not copied.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To select all the objects on a layer on the current spread, Option/Alt-click the name of the layer.

Then there is a colored square on the right side of that layer that indicates all the selected object. Drag that square to the layer to want to move the objects to (see illustration below), and the objects are switched to that layer.

Layers.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

The solution you have offered works in that it makes an exact copy of the objects from the original layer within the new chosen layer, rather than just trnsferring objects to the new chosen layer. The original layer still has all the original objects.

Obviously the logical solution is then to remove the original objects from the original layer. Are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of before I start eliminating these original objects?

Thanks Again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't let go of the Option/Alt key after the first step.

(1) You use Option-Alt when you click on the original layer to select everything on the layer.

(2) Then release Option-Alt. Then drag the square to the new layer.

Holding Option-Alt in the 2nd step makes copies of the objects to the new layer. Without holding down Option-Alt, the objects are MOVED, not copied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve,

For your prompt reply. I'll give it a try. All my books on AID only ever mention transferring one object at a time from one layer to another.

Thanks again.

Regards

Gary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again,

You were right and it works perfectly.

Thanks

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines