3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2012 3:29 AM by Peter Spier RSS

Table of Contents Alignment

Zinusmero Community Member

Hi all,

I have been trying to make a table of contents of Figure titles. I have been all over the internet looking for solutions and nothing seems to work.

What I want to do is have all the figure titles throughout the document (or book) in a TOC. The problem i have is that when it gets to a double digit (Figure 1-10 etc) and on different width numbers the text next to it moves out of alignment.

figure image.png

You can see in the image that in the TOC at the bottom even numbers 1-6 and 1-7 out the text out of alignment.

I know the problem is either with the figure style or the toc style. I have tried all sorts of adjustment to the indents and tabs and the only way i can get it in line is to not use the figure numbers in the toc.

I am using Myriad Pro font (11pt)

Anyone have any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Table of Contents Alignment
          Zinusmero Community Member

Problem solved...kind of. I have decided that its easier just to make two TOCs.

One i am specifying the option of Include Numbers Only and the other Exclude Numbers. I am then laying the frames over each other and aligning them as i want. I can't believe i spent so much time trying to figure out an answer when i could fake it so easily.

incl numbers.png

excl numbers.png

double toc.png

• 2. Re: Table of Contents Alignment
            peter at knowhowpro Community Member

Zinusmero wrote:

Hi all,

I have been trying to make a table of contents of Figure titles. I have been all over the internet looking for solutions and nothing seems to work.

What I want to do is have all the figure titles throughout the document (or book) in a TOC. The problem i have is that when it gets to a double digit (Figure 1-10 etc) and on different width numbers the text next to it moves out of alignment.

figure image.png

You can see in the image that in the TOC at the bottom even numbers 1-6 and 1-7 out the text out of alignment.

I know the problem is either with the figure style or the toc style. I have tried all sorts of adjustment to the indents and tabs and the only way i can get it in line is to not use the figure numbers in the toc.

I am using Myriad Pro font (11pt)

Anyone have any suggestions?

It's not a TOC issue, it's an autonumber issue. Search Google for terms like "InDesign align autonumbers" without quotes for resource links.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices    

• 3. Re: Table of Contents Alignment
              Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I think it isn't even an auto-numbering issue, but rather an issue with choosing proprtional figures rather than lining figures for the numbers. Not all fonts have both, but if you want numbers to align in columns you MUST choose lining fiures rather than proportional so they all have exactly the same width.