11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 1:24 AM by osgood_ RSS

Wordpress 'links' panel

osgood_ MVP

Anyone know of a way to only list 'pages' under the 'link's menu in Wordpress.

Example. A client wants to make a link from one Wordpress page to another so they select the text on one page and then hit the 'link' button in the editor panel which brings up a list of pages......and posts, and content blocks. Anyone know of a way to stop the posts/content blocks from being listed as they are meaningless to a client who only wants to link to pages.

Thanks

Os

• 1. Re: Wordpress 'links' panel
          martcol Community Member

Don't use the Links widget and use the pages widget?

Martin

• 2. Re: Wordpress 'links' panel
            osgood_ MVP

martcol wrote:

Don't use the Links widget and use the pages widget?

Martin

Pages widget? Whats that?

• 3. Re: Wordpress 'links' panel
              osgood_ MVP

No I don't want the pages listed on the site itself which is what I think the Page Widget does. I'm trying to get rid of any posts content blocks which get listed under the links panel in the editing section of Wordpress

• 4. Re: Wordpress 'links' panel
                Ben M MVP

Create a category for the links if you want to sort them.

But if they are on a page, you highlight a word, click the link button and then click the arrow next to "Or Link to Existing Content" where there is also a search box.  If this is missing something is messed up with your theme and that's another topic for another discussion.

• 5. Re: Wordpress 'links' panel
                  martcol Community Member

Osgood, I am sorry if I am missing your point but does the first section of this page cover it?

http://www.catswhocode.com/blog/10-wordpress-dashboard-hacks

Martin

• 6. Re: Wordpress 'links' panel
                    osgood_ MVP

martcol wrote:

Osgood, I am sorry if I am missing your point but does the first section of this page cover it?

http://www.catswhocode.com/blog/10-wordpress-dashboard-hacks

Martin

Hi martcol,

I already have the function for 'hiding' the parts of the dashboard navigation you don't want the client to see in the functions.php file which is great BUT not what I'm referring to.

When you need to attach a link to a word in Wordpress 'visually' you just select that word and then choose the link button at the top of the editor panel. When you click on that another panel appears listing all pages and posts that you can link too. What I want to do is hide the posts and content blocks that appear in the list because they are not relevent to what the client will need to do, which is link to a page. Trying to make this as bullet proof for a client as possible.

• 7. Re: Wordpress 'links' panel
                      osgood_ MVP

SnakEyez02 wrote:

Create a category for the links if you want to sort them.

But if they are on a page, you highlight a word, click the link button and then click the arrow next to "Or Link to Existing Content" where there is also a search box.  If this is missing something is messed up with your theme and that's another topic for another discussion.

No I don't want to create a category for a link because its not me creating the links it will be the client and they won't understand that at all.

I'm trying to hide the list of posts that appear in the 'linking panel' list when you attach a link to a word in the editor. i.e. Worpress presents you with a choice of pages you have created to link to along with the posts you have created and content blocks. I'd like that list to only contain the pages which have been created.........so it makes it easier for the client to understand.

• 8. Re: Wordpress 'links' panel
                        martcol Community Member

Osgood, I think I understand what you want.

Is the answer in here?  I don't have a clue what that's about but it looks like there might be some clues in there?

This really is out of my comfort zone which pretty much in PHP, is anything beyond "Hello World!"

Martin

http://hungred.com/how-to/remove-wordpress-admin-menu-affecting-wordpress-core-system/

If it works, you have to tell me what it means and when I attain WWW domination, I will remember you.

• 9. Re: Wordpress 'links' panel
                          osgood_ MVP

martcol wrote:

http://hungred.com/how-to/remove-wordpress-admin-menu-affecting-wordpr ess-core-system/

If it works, you have to tell me what it means and when I attain WWW domination, I will remember you.

Looks scary to me too! I'll have to go through it with a fine tooth combe......I have some time tomorrow but I think it is to do with the 'core' and I need to find out in which file the 'link panel' I'm talking about is complied then I can start deconstructing it.

Thanks for the link. I've been doing some Googling and other people have asked similar questions but I've yet to find a solution. It's out there somewhere, it's trying to find it.

• 10. Re: Wordpress 'links' panel
                            martcol Community Member

Again, over my head but could you disable the links menu in the dashboard and add your own with less options?

http://codex.wordpress.org/Administration_Menus

Martin

• 11. Re: Wordpress 'links' panel
                              osgood_ MVP

Hi Martin,

Thanks  - I've book marked the page for future reference. I'm exploring something else away from Wordpress at the moment.

I think I've managed to get Wordpress where I personally need it to be which is a simple CMS system for sites with 1-20 pages. So I've stripped out pretty much all the Wordpress code I don't require and just using my own php files set up as templates. It works pretty good at the moment for that purpose.

There is a lingering issue though about tables which I might create a new thread for. No CMS that I've come across seems to handle tables very well whereby the end user can up date the information in the table. Have you come across that?

If I have a data table with say dates and prices information it seems easy enough to delete a date and price but impossible to add a date and price i.e, adding another <tr></tr> after another row. Can do it in the Wordpress html panel of course but not in the visual editor.