9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2012 2:38 AM by Thor47 RSS

Can not use color window (palette) - it is locked

Thor47

Can not use color window - it is locked - hope someone can help

• 1. Re: Can not use color window (palette) - it is locked
          Mylenium CommunityMVP

Which "color window"? From where do you invoke it? What version are you using? what's your operating system and computer specs? You need to be more specific!

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can not use color window (palette) - it is locked
            Thor47 Community Member

Thank you - you are right.

It is: Window 7 - After effects CS_4.

Problem is: If I want to change the colour fx. for text or from back ground (soild) - and other places where it is possible to change colours - it is not possible for me

Thor47

• 3. Re: Can not use color window (palette) - it is locked
              Mylenium CommunityMVP

Which color picker have you set in the prefs? The system color picker or the Adobe one? Also what are your graphics settings? Any chance that you have a multi-monitor setup, but have removed a monitor or changed the screen layout? Also, do you use dialog repositioning e.g. in the nVidia Desktop manager? I'd check those things and in caser of doubt reset to factory defaults. Also, when trying to invoke the color picker, cycle through teh active Windows using Strg+Tab or Alt+Tab. There's a chance your dialog may show up there and can be selected. That way at least you know it is actually working, just nowhere to be seen.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Can not use color window (palette) - it is locked
                Thor47 Community Member

Thank you for using your time!

1)  color picker - if I Itake EDIT-PREFERENCE I can not find anyting  with colour picker

2)  Graphics settings - I do not know where to look

3)  I do not have multi-monitor

4)  I do not use nVidia Desktop manager

5)  I do not know  what Alt+Tab is good for

Is it possible to hit a bottom to reset all - becuse  I am not a professor behind After effects - that will be the best soloution for me.

Thor47

• 5. Re: Can not use color window (palette) - it is locked
                  Dave LaRonde Community Member

You can restore the default AE preferences.  To find the how-to, go to AE's online help and search it using the search term default preferences.

• 6. Re: Can not use color window (palette) - it is locked
                    Thor47 Community Member

Thank you - and I have tryed online help - and the answer was - while AE starts you have to press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT - but it did not solve the problem.

If you for example choise LAYER - NEW - SOLID - it is possible to use the color picker - but still not possible to use the color palette with the color R - G - B.

Thor47

• 7. Re: Can not use color window (palette) - it is locked
                      Mylenium CommunityMVP

I'm still not exactly sur what you are doing or seeing. If you can use the color picker with a new solid, it should work just the same elsewhere. This sounds more and more strange. Can you provide some screenshots?

Mylenium

• 8. Re: Can not use color window (palette) - it is locked
                        Thor47 Community Member

Thank you - once again.

1Klip_web_no.gifHere I want to change Grey-Red color (layer 2) - but in the solid color box the only thing you can do is to click on the red cross.

2_klip_web.gifIf I use the eyedropper I can here change the solid color - for example the white from Thorkild

3_klip_web.gifThe same problem as no.:2 - if I want to change color from CHARACTER palette.

Thor47 - Thorkild

• 9. Re: Can not use color window (palette) - it is locked
                          Thor47 Community Member

Hello again.

1_Udklip.PNGI have found out of something, about the color problem.  If I want to change the color via SOLID SETINGS - it now possible if you place the SOLID COLOR palette over the palette for SOLID SETTINGS - now you can change  every color.

2_Udklip.PNG Here I have changed the color from red to white - and it works.

3_Udklip.PNG It also works in the CHARACTER palette.

I am happy that it works now - even if it is not the correct way told from Adobe.

Thank you for the replays.

Thor47 . Thorkild