• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

mms.cfg and Flash Player 11.2.202.228

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would anyone know why Flash Player 11.2.202.228 does not grey out the 'Change Update Settings' and 'Check Now' buttons in the Flash Player Settings Manager when 'AutoUpdateDisable=1'?  The three radio buttons are greyed out and the 'Never check for updates is selected.' 

We are using Win7 SP1 x64 with IE8 x32 (x64 is there also).

I am trying to upgrade from 11.1.102.63 to 11.2.202.228.

I am using the msi installer. (I do an admin install first.  I have a transform that puts the mms.cfg file in place.)

With 11.1 installed, the buttons are greyed.  When I update to 11.2.202.228, they are not.

All I have in the mms.cfg file is 'AutoUpdateDisable=1'

When I take it out the three radio buttions are still greyed out, but the setting is 'Notify me when updates are available. So it looks like it is reading it.

And, the below the correct settings for turning off all updates and the background updates?

AutoUpdateDisable=1

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

y=mx+b - This post might be of interest to you, see about half way down where I mention the SilentAutoUpdateServerDomain property.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4362336#4362336

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the auto updater be retasked to point to an internal (enterprise) distributioin point rather than constantly checking the Adobe (internet) location?  (mms.cfg ??)

(Similar to the way WSUS works: we have our own distribution point which gets updates from Microsoft and clients get updated from that point.) 

Really reduces internet bandwidth usage in a large enterprise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi y=mx+b,

Thanks for your feedback. This feature request was mentioned by other system administrators as well and we're currently considering the addition of this functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this be incorporated with the in-house CS5 Update Server (AUSST) ?  Sort of an Adobe equivalent to WSUS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

y=mx+b - This post might be of interest to you, see about half way down where I mention the SilentAutoUpdateServerDomain property.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4362336#4362336

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Chris, just what I was looking for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoryRut,

The reason why these buttons are not greyed out is because only an administrator will be able to make changes to the update settings. In other words, if you click on these buttons and can either install an update or change the update settings, you have the necessary rights and should be enabled to make these changes.

I invite you to try this out with a user account that doesn't have admin privileges. You will see that this user will be unable to either install an update or change the update settings.

To answer your last question: Yes,

AutoUpdateDisable=1

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

will turn off all updates. Note however that this is highly discouraged. If you have a particular reason why these updating mechanisms don't work for you, we'd like to hear about it in the forums.

Hope this helps.

-Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rory Rut - I found a quick workaround.  Setting the mms.cfg file to "read only" does the trick.  Unfortunately, it does not grey out the section, but it does not let an administrator select any other option than what is specified in the mms.cfg file.

Stephen - Many times a company gives a user administrator privileges (not by preference) but still want to maintain a certain level of control.  I have seen that when an administrator updates Adobe Flash on their own using the AutoUpdate tool, it breaks the MSI package deployment that I have intended for all machines.  This is exactly the reason I would want to prevent this AutoUpdate action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mholtgrefe,

A user would still be able to download and install Flash Player from adobe.com. So really, you're just masking a problem by not allowing users to check for updates in the Settings Manager. This is not a safe way to prevent a user from updating Flash Player manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be the correct way to do this?  I do not want the users to be able to update flash manually, as it breaks the ability for me to deply the current version via group policy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi shane1130,

The best way to do this is to use standard user accounts for users who shouldn't be allowed to install or uninstall software on your systems. Microsoft gives some advice on the different user account types in Windows here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-a-users-accoun t-type

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Standard accounts are not an option, due to the requirements of other software. 

Being able to redirect the autoupdater to a network share as y=mx+b suggests would work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines