8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2012 2:26 PM by JimHess RSS

8-bit settings won't save in preferences

JimHess MVP

I installed the Lightroom 4.1 RC on both a 64-bit and 32-bit computer yesterday.  Sometimes I want to send an 8-bit image to Photoshop when working with my 32-bit computer.  I have tried changing that option in the Lightroom preferences, but those output choices will not save on either computer.  I know, I can change in Photoshop.  But it's just one of those little annoyances that I noticed.  Has anyone else seen this?

• 2. Re: 8-bit settings won't save in preferences
          JimHess MVP

Not quite sure that is related.  If I send a NEF image to Photoshop, make adjustments, and save it as an 8 bit TIF image, that all works just fine.  However, if in Lightroom I choose to send that TIF to Photoshop and include additional Lightroom adjustments it will show up in Photoshop as a 16-bit image.

Lightroom 3 will allow me to send even a raw file as an 8-bit image if I so choose, but Lightroom 4 allows you to make that choice but it won't save and it won't do it.

• 3. Re: 8-bit settings won't save in preferences
            trshaner MVP

There is a workaround I  just tried that seems to work. Under 'Additional External Editor' choose your PhotoShop.exe file location. It will tell you PhotoShop is already "automatically" selected, click twice on 'Use Anyway' and give it a unique name. It's pretty obvious the Adobe programmers don't want you doing this–to each his own. You will also need to download ACR 6.7RC1 and install the update:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-7/

Preferences.jpg

• 4. Re: 8-bit settings won't save in preferences
              JimHess MVP

Actually, there's an easier way to solve the problem than that.  Just convert to 8-bit in Photoshop.  I just ran across the issue yesterday and thought I would mention it.  Seems to me that in this new version of Lightroom wasn't quite as ready for prime time as it should have been.  I think I'm going to purchase it, but sometimes I wonder.

• 5. Re: 8-bit settings won't save in preferences
                trshaner MVP

JimHess wrote:

Actually, there's an easier way to solve the problem than that.  Just convert to 8-bit in Photoshop.  I just ran across the issue yesterday and thought I would mention it.  Seems to me that in this new version of Lightroom wasn't quite as ready for prime time as it should have been.  I think I'm going to purchase it, but sometimes I wonder.

Actually this is probably one of the reasons the Adobe LR team has "locked down" (auto highlight recovery and black point adjustment) or automated (CA Removal) certain features in LR4. By doing so it makes it easier for LR beginners and other users who aren't "tech savvy" to get started, and helps prevent getting bad results by misusing certain tools. The External File Handling options lock down in LR4 Preferences is perhaps another example...I don't know.

If your intention is to continue to work on an image in LR after making edits in PS, then it's best to leave the file in ProPhoto RGB and 16bit mode. There are some who may argue on this point, but using a wide gamut color profile like ProPhoto RGB with 8bit/color is risking visible banding (i.e. wide gamut + fewer density steps). There's nothing stopping you from "converting" image files in LR to whatever format, color profile, compression and bit depth you want using the 'Export' tools.

Maybe I'm missing your objective with 8bit export to PS?

• 6. Re: 8-bit settings won't save in preferences
                  JimHess MVP

Well, without boring you painfully, I will explain.  I like to experiment with panorama images.  Sometimes, when working on my 32-bit computer, sending 16-bit files to Photoshop is a little more than my computer will handle.  That is especially true if I want to use the content aware fill feature.  So, using Lightroom 3, I was solving the problem by sending to images to Photoshop in 8-bit mode.

So now I'm experimenting with Lightroom 4.1 RC.  When I tried my standard panorama workflow I noticed that the images didn't go to Photoshop as 8-bit images.  It seems to me that there is a problem with that feature.  It's there in Lightroom but it doesn't seem to work.  Whether you agree with my workflow or not doesn't matter.  It was a problem (I think) that I encountered, and simply wanted to report it.  It was my understanding that that is one of the purposes for making release candidates available.

• 7. Re: 8-bit settings won't save in preferences
                    trshaner MVP

Thanks for the explanation Jim. What you are doing makes good sense and you can continue to do it the exact same way in LR4.1 RC using the 'Addtional External Editor' option workaround I suggested. You can add your concerns with this issue to Adobe using the feedback link c.frans w provided. The more responses the better.

• 8. Re: 8-bit settings won't save in preferences
                      JimHess MVP

Yes, I have several workarounds that I use.  I have devoted a lot of time to my experimenting and dealing with my 32-bit system.  I know I should update my system, but I'm just recovering from knee replacement surgery and I've got to get that taken care of before I can even think about new toys.  Other issues as well.  Anyway, thanks for your comments.