23 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 12:12 PM by Peter Spier RSS

InDesign CS 5corrupting file

katielady1

Hi there,

I'm running InDesign CS5 on Windows 7.

Last month, I had one file that became corrupt. And by that I mean when I went to open the file I immediately got the "InDesign CS5 has stopped working message." The file never appeared to open. I had the option to either have it look for solution online (at which point it just closed the program) or close the program.

If I try and launch InDesign again it gives me the "inDesign CS5 has stopped working" message again.

If I try and launch it after that, it will tell me that the recovery failed last time I tried to open the document and would I like to start recovery.

If I choose yes, I get the "InDesign CS5 has stopped working" message again.

The file will not open as a copy either. The file was toast. I also tried opening the files on a co-worker's computer and that didn't work.

Then, this week I had the same thing happen to TWO more files. Same problem. The files appear to be toast.

Last night I backed up all my data again so when my current file had that problem I tried to open my back up file. Same problem!

I'm freaking out because I'm scared to work on any of my files for fear they will become corrupted.

I don't know what it doesn't like about the files. Two of the files were 8 page newsletters, and one was a 27 page file.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file
          katielady1 Community Member

I should mention I had tried deleting my preferences. It hasn't helped.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file
            Peter Spier CommunityMVP

These are the tough ones to diagnose. Do you have any 3rd party plugins (including a font manager)?

• 3. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file

Hi Peter,

I just checked. I have a blurb plug-in that I installed at some point but never used. I will get rid of it right now.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file

No font manager installed. I have 421 fonts in my font folder in the Control Panel.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file

Hmmmm... I'm not sure how to remove the Blurb Plug In. If I go to InDesign, Help, About Plug Ins - I can see the Blurb Plug in. But if I go to Manage Extensions - I only have ones authored by Adobe. The blurb one doesn't show up.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file
                    Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Here's the bad news. There's no way to tell without opening files whether the blurb plugin was the problem. I'm going to suggest that you make a backup of everything, and that until you know things are straightened out you open everything as a copy, and save with a new name each time to reduce the risk of incurring more damage.

In the meantime, empty, rename or move your InDesign Recovery folder so ID isn't trying to open a damaged file from there so we can eliminate that from the mix. It will get rebuilt when you restart ID.

Keep us posted...

• 7. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file
                      Peter Spier CommunityMVP

katielady1 wrote:

Hmmmm... I'm not sure how to remove the Blurb Plug In. If I go to InDesign, Help, About Plug Ins - I can see the Blurb Plug in. But if I go to Manage Extensions - I only have ones authored by Adobe. The blurb one doesn't show up.

Take a look in the plugins folder and just move it out if you can find it. You might be able to get it to show up in a search if it isn't obvious just looking  in folders.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file
                        Manish-Sharma Employee Hosts

Third party plugin issues are not new with Indesign , as you said you never use the plugin hence its better to get rid of it.

Check in the Indesign plugins folder , you will find this plugin and then you can remove it from there.

What  Peter wrote are some excellent tip, Follow them to save your data ,

• 9. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file

Thanks Peter and Manish_1988. I have now removed the Blurb plug in from the extensions folder and deleted the InDesign Recovery Folder.

I will take your suggestion Peter and open everything as a copy. I'm not worried about recovering my old files right now, but more concerned about future files getting corrupted so this is a good suggestion.

Katie

• 10. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file

Also let us inform if the problem repeats , Blurb plugin could be issue but not sure.

• 11. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file

Should I also try deleteing the FontMaskCache file from the Cache folder? I read about it on another post and wondered if it is worth a shot.

• 12. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file

Sure, its the font cache file.

• 13. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file

Alright - I deleted it. I'll keep you posted.

• 14. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file
                                    Peter Spier CommunityMVP

katielady1 wrote:

I'm not worried about recovering my old files right now, but more concerned about future files getting corrupted so this is a good suggestion.

Thjose are my concerns, as well. That's why I made the backup suggestions. If you keep saving as a new version, you should have built-in backups so you don't lose everything if something goes wrong.

If you get to the point where you want to recover the damaged files, the best bet is probably Markzware, though it isn't necessarily inexpensive. Bad InDesign or Quark File Recovery Submission Form

• 15. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file

Okay. Here is an update. I did talk to Adobe support last week. They said it is not a problem with InDesign and that it could be caused by corrupt fonts or plug ins.

I already removed the only plug in I had installed and I have still had corruptions since.

I also used font doctor to scan my files. It gave me a list of 10 or so fonts that had bad table data, so I removed those fonts. Also, none of the files that have corrupted share the same fonts so is it possible that a font that is not in use in the document is still corrupting it? And only corrupting some files, but not all the files?

Since then, I have had a few more issues.

On Friday InDesign crashed twice - and by that I mean that when I was working on it a file I got the "InDesign has stopped working..." message. However, after I closed the program and reopened it, the file I was working on was fine.

Then Yesterday, I had a small two page file that worked on, saved, and closed. A few hours later I went to reopen the file and the icon for the file was no longer InDesign. When I try and open it it gave me a message that said "InDesign cannot open the file...it could be a missing plug in or the file could be open in another application." I tried opening a copy of the file. Same thing. So it's a another corrupt file, but in a new way than last time.

So I'm thinking I should remove and reinstall InDesign. I'm also wondering if I should restore my machine to system fonts only and then add the fonts back as needed.

• 16. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file
                                        Peter Spier CommunityMVP

katielady1 wrote:

So I'm thinking I should remove and reinstall InDesign. I'm also wondering if I should restore my machine to system fonts only and then add the fonts back as needed.

Those both sound like good ideas, though corrupt fonts are pretty rare on Windows (though they do happen).

After uninstalling, you might also want to run the clean tool, which will remove all traces (Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool) Normally I'd suggest backing up your prefs, workspaces, shortcuts, etc., but since you are having such wierd problems I think it would be saver to start completely clean and rebuild whatever you need.

• 17. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file

I will give it a shot.Thanks for the link to the Cleaner Tool.

Should I deactivate CS5 before I remove it? Or do I not have to worry about deactivating because I will be reinstalling it on the same computer?

• 18. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file
                                            Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Probably doesn't matter, but go ahead and deactivate just for safety.

• 19. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file

Okay. So our IT dept. actually just reimaged/wiped the whole computer and then we reinstalled. I'll just install my fonts as needed as I go along and see hope everything goes smoothly.

• 20. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file
                                                Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Keeping my fingers crossed for you...

• 21. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file

Oh dear. After we reimaged/wiped my machine, and then reinstalled everything, I'm still having problems.

Yesterday I created a one-page newspaper ad. Today I went to open that file and got a message that said "Could not complete your request due to a database error," followed by the "Adobe InDesign CS% has stopped working" message. If I try and open a copy is says the file is damaged (error code 4).

This is a slightly different than the other times it has corrupted files, but the same result - more lost, unrecoverable files.

I have installed a handful of fonts since we wiped the computer, but font doctor tells me they are all fine (no corruption). I have no plug ins.

I'm at a loss about what to do now. 

• 22. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file

My computer is 1 year and 1 month old. We are thinking now we will wipe my coworkers computer and try moving me onto that computer. Her computer is newer than mine, about 4 months or so.

• 23. Re: InDesign CS 5corrupting file
                                                      Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I am not a Mac person, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'm a little concerned about the "reimaged" part becasue I'm not sure if that means you resored an earlier image of the system (a big timesaver if the image is good, but no help if wahtever the problem is was already present when the image was made), or if you reformatted the hard drive, and installed the OS and all programs from scratch, which in this case would probably be the best route, and install nothing but OS and Adobe products until you see that they work, then add things and test with an unimportant file until you find what is causing the corruption.