• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

howto create realistic stitched patch effect

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2010 Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the title says it all, how do you realisticly recreate a embroided patch effect.
think of militairy patches.

this pictures shows what i mean

http://e-patches.com/wp-content/uploadszsedc/2008/05/airsoft.jpg

http://www.emblemworks.com/zencart/images/sec.jpg

i have been fiddling around with the scribble effect. but i cant get the lighting to look right.

tnx in advance,
-Diego

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 18, 2010 Dec 18, 2010

Embroidery border.

Store the Appearance as a Graphic Style. Apply it to any path. Create the original grad using only grays, set the Colorization mode of the Pattern Brush to Hue Shift or Tints & Shades, and the one Brush will serve for any color "thread".

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find expanding the scribble effect and applying a gradient to the resuting shape helps a great deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by using the scribble and texturize effects I came up with this result.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4590/68915484.png
I think it looks pretty good, except I want the stitching to stay in a 90 degree angel to the stroke on the corners and on the vertical sides of the rounded rectangle. any tips or workarounds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to create a custom pattern brush to get the stitching to follow the path. Not easily done, but possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2010 Dec 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, that worked quite well.

the only thing is you cant create a brush with the texturized effect turned on, so you have to remove the effect and then create a brush.

the "stitiching now follows the path in the corners. the only thing is that if you then re-apply the texture the texture still goes one way.
do you know a way to work around that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2010 Dec 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: Never mind misunderstood your issue.

Learn the appearance palette it is your friend.

Bert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2010 Dec 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Embroidery border.

Store the Appearance as a Graphic Style. Apply it to any path. Create the original grad using only grays, set the Colorization mode of the Pattern Brush to Hue Shift or Tints & Shades, and the one Brush will serve for any color "thread".

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2011 Jan 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx alot jet!

you solved my issue completely.

thanks again for taking the time to formulate this clear explanation.

-Diego

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thank for the short tutorial. It is very helpful but in my case I must be missing something because I can't make it work.

I follow this tutorial but when I get to the "pathfinder:merge" I don't know with which other shape I have to merge it.

If I skip the merge and drag it to the brushes, I get an error "The selected artwork contains an element that cannot be used

in a pattern brush". I found out that the problem is the gradient because if I do all the same without gradient then I can use

the artwork as a pattern. The problem is that I nedd the gradient to make it realistic. Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you very much in advance for your help

Carlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't use grad fills in a Brush. So, as the instructions indicate, you have to:

1. Object>Expand Appearance. (Flattens the live Scribble Effect.)
  2. Object>Expand...>Fill. Specify Steps: 20. (Flattens the live Gradient Fill into a set of discrete paths with normal solid fills.)
  3. PathFinder palette>Merge. (Unions adjacent areas of same color, and punches areas of overlap. This is just to further optimize the Brush by minimizing the number of paths.)

These steps are all mentioned in the demo, but are not as explicitly spelled-out, because the assumption is the reader has read the manual and is familiar with the basic features and commands, and would therefore understand the "shorthand" instructions.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, the Round Corners effect doesn't give small round corners. What would I be doing wrong?

Untitled-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try something larger than 0.001 in. That can't even be shown on the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't get the round corner effect to work for me no matter what. But the round any corner script worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not entirely relevant, but maybe helpful to anyone who happens upon this thread later (get it?  Thread! I crack myself up.)

I had cooked up a way to "embroider" a while back which might come in handy for the rest of the patch or whatever you might be making.

Source file here: http://www.illustratorhints.com/2010/05/embroidered-text-effect/

Screen shot 2012-04-07 at 11.52.29 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

COOL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jesse.

(That was sew funny. You have me in stitches. I'll needle little time to recover.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe we shall all be stitched up before we knowhowto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, you guys are a rip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone ever applied an embroidery effect to a logo? If so, how is that accomplished?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Guys,

I have been trying so hard to get the embroidery effect, but having mega trouble!

I am no novice to AI, but I don't know it is alluding me. I tried to follow Jets tutorial, but I get stumped with the scribble part and beyond. I private messaged him, but to no avail.

Can anyone lend a hand, it would be most appreciated!

Here is rough idea of what I am trying to do. It is the grey edges that I wish to embroider!!  Ugh!!

David

TeammatesBadgeLogo2016R4a.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines