17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 2:02 AM by Aniks RSS

This program has stopped working

Chris Stross Community Member

64 bit Windows 7.  PE10 used to work fine, now "this program has stopped working"  I unistalled, re-booted, re-installed, still the same.  What's gpoing on?

• 2. Re: This program has stopped working

What more is needed?

• 3. Re: This program has stopped working
            Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have?

How much free, clean, defragmented space is on your C drive? When did you last run a program like iObit's Advanced System Care Free to clear out junk files? Are you editing video on your C drive or are your project and media files on a second or external drive?

Have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured  you have even the non-critical updates (which can provide some important drivers)?

Have you gone to the ATI or nVidia web sites and ensured you have the latest version of your graphics card's drivers?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime?

Does the program not open at all or does it crash when you try to open a previously-created project or add media to it?

• 4. Re: This program has stopped working
              nealeh Community Member

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: This program has stopped working

Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @3.40GHz.

8Gb RAM

C: 1.35Tb RAM

Iolo System Mechanic before re-instal

External 2Tb Raid 1 drive contains the project and data

Windows updated before re-instal

Video drivers Drivers updated before re-instal

Quicktime is uptodate

I tried 2 existing projects both failed during open, before displaying any of the thumbnails or the timeline.  I last worked on these projects about a week ago.

Organizer opens normally.

It also fails when I try to open a new project either directly or from within Organizer.

• 7. Re: This program has stopped working
                  nealeh Community Member

Have you tried disabling your antivirus software?

What speed is the external disk drive?

Can you search for a file baddrivers.txt to see if it exists on your system.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: This program has stopped working

Everything worked fine until about a week ago.

Disabling Anti-virus (Kaspersky) makes no difference

The external drive is a 2Tb  LaCie Raid1.

Baddrivers.txt contains:

##FALSE#0#0#0

In my case it's a 19 year old cat the drives me insane.

Chris

• 9. Re: This program has stopped working
                      the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

Chris,

What changed with the system? See this ARTICLE.

Also, Neale linked to an article on PrE Crashing & Hanging. It starts with a checklist, which it seems that you have already gone through. One quick question about it: did you check your video and audio drivers from the card/chip mfgr's. Web site? Windows, and most driver utilities, will be months out of date.

Then, that linked article goes into several links on tuning up one's system, and OS, and then has links on troubleshooting. I would pay particular attention to the Finding Clues link, as it can be very, very useful.

Good luck, and the trick is to find out what has changed, since things worked well.

Hunt

• 10. Re: This program has stopped working

I'm sitting here a bit stunned.

Spent nearly 3 hours with Adobe Tech support.  They went through many things and finally told me to completely uninstall and re-install my display card drivers.

Spent the next hour going through AMD articles on how to do it, and then uninstalled and re-installed as directed.

Needless to say it didn't solve the problem.

Chris

• 11. Re: This program has stopped working

Downloaded Premiere Pro CS5.5 trial version.  Seems to run fine.  As does Cyberlink Power Director.

It's much more than I need to edit family and holiday videos and not nearly as amateur user friendly as Elements.  I'm not editing Avatar!

My guess is it has nothing to do with the Video drivers.

I really think Adobe owes me on this one.

Seven hours on I'm going to bed.

Chris

• 12. Re: This program has stopped working

The mystery deepens.

I can now open PREL, import clips and arrrange them on the timeline.  BUT I can't edit my original project(s).

Question,  is there any way of salvaging the original project by way of an EDL or some other cunning scheme?

Chris

• 13. Re: This program has stopped working

Chris,

PrE does not support EDL (Edit Decision Lists).

What happens, when you Open an existing Project? Do you get any error messages?

What happens if you Open, or Import (a function that PrE does not have) one of those PREL files into your PrPro CS 5.5 trial? Do they Open/Import fine?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please.

Hunt

• 14. Re: This program has stopped working

Bill,

I have always believed it was better to be lucky then to be clever.

Here is what I've done:

I uninstalled three "Coffee Cup" programs (They create Web sites).

I tried opening the original project and it died as before

I fired up PRE saving the project on the c: driveL, it stayed up, so I added a few clips, it stayed up.  I put some on the timeline, it stayed up.

Emboldened I closedit and opened it again, this time using the earliest autosaved .prel on the O: drive It stayed up.

Closed it down and opened a later autosaved .prel, Lo and behold - the whole of my project.

Closed it down and immediately backed it all up to another external drive.

I have a little further research to do, i.e re-installing the Coffee Cup software and then trying the project

It's still left me scratching my head over the initial state when PREL wouldn't run under any circumstances.

I've worked with computers since they were a basement full of tubes fed by paper tape, so I, of course, believe in black magic!

I have to go and weed the garden but tonight I'll do the tests and post the results.

Chris

• 15. Re: This program has stopped working

Yes, sometimes luck is all that we have to fall back on.

In the past, I have used a few CoffeeCup programs, and still have one on my workstation. With those, I never had an issue with any Adobe program, but that was THEN, and many, many things could well have changed.

The good news is that you are closer to getting your Project done, and that is very important.

I share your thoughts on computers. I feel that sometimes, they just need to take a nice long break, to get their 1's and 0's back in line. I have also found that a few voodoo ceremonies can help - burning black candles where the computer can see them, placing chicken bones in various patterns on the desk, and such, will often get 'em to work, like we think they should. When most fails, I have also found that opening up the Dell Web site, and pouring over the specs. for a replacement computer will "slap 'em back in shape," and especially if I "oooh," and "ahhh" over a new, big workstation. Like with installations of Adobe software, sometimes doing the "wiggly dance" - clockwise - clockwise only, will help

Good luck, and hope that it holds,

Hunt

• 16. Re: This program has stopped working

Bill

Coffee Cup programs installed everything stil working.  Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  Actually I have four of them eating their heads off in the field next to the house.

BTW  Rendering a Stabilizer effect maxed out all 8 of my  3.4GHz. cores for 10 minutes, never seen that before.

Thanks for the ideas.  I guess "case closed'.

Chris

• 17. Re: This program has stopped working
                                      Aniks Community Member

Just to add, sometimes Windows updates also cause such problems. Beware!