16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2012 7:04 AM by trshaner RSS

LR4 slide shows

fishersphoto Community Member

How do I burn a LR4 created slide show to a dvd to be shown on a 108i tv?

Would I be better of buying a media player to get blue ray resolution?

• 1. Re: LR4 slide shows
          Rusty Sterling Community Member

I often make 1080p slideshows from LR4 and burn them to DVD using Adobe Premiere Elements. They look good on my 52-inch plasma flatscreen played with a standard DVD player.

If you are on a Mac you could use iDVD to create a DVD of a video slideshow generated by LR4. If on PC you might need some third party software to do it, like Adobe Premiere Elements. I am on a Mac and find the APE works best for me, although I have used iDVD in the past with pretty good results. APE also will burn to BluRay if you have a supported burner.

I do my slideshows for photography exhibits by various groups. I have been asked about BluRay. First my Mac doesn't support it unless I get an external burner. Second, not everyone getting a DVD has a BluRay player. So just plain DVD seems to satisfy everyone.

• 2. Re: LR4 slide shows

I often watch Art Wolf's "Travels To The Edge" shows on television and the

quality of the photos shown on television are fantastic.  I am not talking

about the compositions, which are also amazing, but just the quality of the

appearance on the tv screen.  I would like to be able to replicate that

quality.

I use a program called ProShow Gold by Photodex. My shows are often about 30

minutes long and use about 400 photos and several pieces of music.  ProShow

provides more sophisticated options for motion effects, transitions than

LR4.  I have created a few of these shows in the Blue Ray format and saved

them to an external hard drive, as allowed in ProShow.  But I have no way of

attaching this external hard drive to the TV. Do you and anyone else have

experience with devices called "media players"?  This may be the most

financially efficient way to do what I want but so far I have not been able

to find anyone with the expertise to give solid advice.

Is there a way to export the edited photos from LR4 directly to ProShow Gold

for max quality?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: LR4 slide shows
              john beardsworth Community Member

I thought ProShow offered  free plugin for Lightroom to do so.

• 4. Re: LR4 slide shows

ProShow is only a option for PCs. They have not developed a version for Mac. I know that the OP has a PC. Just noting for the record.

• 5. Re: LR4 slide shows

Was it not obvious that I was replying to the question "Is there a way to export the edited photos from LR4 directly to ProShow Gold for max quality?"

• 6. Re: LR4 slide shows

Don't get snippy. I was just noting that ProShow is not available for Mac's. Some people do not know this.

• 7. Re: LR4 slide shows

Well I'm sure they now feel fully informed.

• 8. Re: LR4 slide shows

Whatever.

• 9. Re: LR4 slide shows
                          trshaner Community Member

I'm confused by the chatter!

In response to fishersphoto's question:

fishersphoto wrote:

Is there a way to export the edited photos from LR4 directly to ProShow Gold

for max quality?

Yes, use LR's Slideshow module, make any changes using the Slideshow module's tools, and then got to Slideshow>Export video slideshow>Video Preset: 1080p. Then import the JPEG files into ProShow Gold and use it's tools for transitons, etc. You should be able to burn the ProShow Blu-ray disk image to a standard DVD. A Blu-ray DVD disk and burner is not required. I do this all the time using Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 Ultra64. A standard 4.7 GB DVD will hold about 500 pictures with run time of about 45 minutes in 1080p format playback on a Blu-ray player.

• 10. Re: LR4 slide shows

No need for confusion. As I responded, there is a Proshow Lightroom plugin at http://www.photodex.com/proshow/plugins

• 11. Re: LR4 slide shows

Thanks for this as it is exactly the advice that I was looking for.

Sorry if I caused some confusion.

• 12. Re: LR4 slide shows

Thanks John. I've never tried ProShow, so don't know what it or the LR plugin offers. Does ProShow provide extensive layout template tools, metadata text such as caption, date, exposure, and other EXIF data, and identity plate like LR's Slideshow module? These are all things that can be easily and quickly applied to the exported JPEGs using LR's Slideshow module. Like I said I have no experience with ProShow, but the method I outlined is what I use with PowerDirector editing app. It works very well and saves me from having to do these edits in PowerDirector. All I add in PowerDirector are native slide transition effects, timing, and music.

• 13. Re: LR4 slide shows

Proshow does all those things and is much more extensive than Lightroom's Slideshow. Basically it is a DVD authoring program which is designed for building multiple slideshows with a front menu (think wedding DVDs), while Lightroom's Slideshow is just a Powerpoint-style presentation tool. Proshow's Lightroom plugin is an export plugin which allows you to set some of the styles in the core program. Going back to the earlier digressions, I've always been surprised Proshow havn't gone cross platform.

• 14. Re: LR4 slide shows

That has been what I have been saying just so people know (not to show anybody up): ProShow is not available for Mac's.

• 15. Re: LR4 slide shows

Yes, which is why I referred back to the earlier digression. The OP said he/she is using Proshow and asked a specific question about using it, not whether it works on Macs. Trshaner asked a specific question about ProShow, and didn't even mention the word Mac. There are some forum posts that are ludicrously off-topic, and yours wasn't one of those, so sorry if I am a bit sharp, but even then I don't think you were giving the whole picture  - you can run ProShow on a Mac, just not in native OSX.

• 16. Re: LR4 slide shows

ProShow Gold looks like a nice package for only $69.95, with support for EXIF data, layers, non-destructive editing, and mixing video with pictures. Looking through the extensive 440 page user manual I did not see any references on ability to burn HD 1080p video to a standard DVD burner. Under system requirements I found this:

Optional Requirements:

For Blu-ray output, a Blu-ray writer is required. Additional RAM and free hard drive space is also recommended.

PowerDirector supports Blu-ray output to a standard 4.7 GB DVD, which plays back fine on my ancient Panasonic Blu-ray player.

To the OP fishersphoto: If ProShow Gold doesn't offer the option to burn 1080p HD Blu-ray content to a standard DVD drive, simply burn the Blu-ray image from your hard drive to DVD. Make sure the folder structure is as follows on the DVD, with 'BDMV' the top-level folder.

BD.jpg