8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2012 10:07 AM by Peter Koronaios RSS

Leica .raw won't open in CS5

Peter Koronaios Community Member

Cannot open Leica .raw documents in Photoshop CS5, but CS2 would open them fine. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to have to open everything as .jpg!

• 1. Re: Leica .raw won't open in CS5
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

What is the camera model?

• 2. Re: Leica .raw won't open in CS5

It's a Leica Digilux 2 (I take it the Leica .raw format is the same in all Leica model).....

Pete

• 3. Re: Leica .raw won't open in CS5
              Jeff Schewe Community Member

The Digilux 2 should be supported in the current Camera Raw 6.5 (the current version). So either you don't have ACR correctly installed or there's something else wrong. Are you trying to open from Bridge or the Finder? What OS are you using?

BTW, all Lieca .raw files are different based on the camera. There is no such thing as a single flavor of .raw. But your camera should be supported. You can download the most recent ACR version at the Camera Raw product page. Be sure to read the installation instructions in the Read Me.

• 4. Re: Leica .raw won't open in CS5

Dear Jeff,

My current problem is that I'm away from the computer until the very start of May. The OS is Win 7, but I remember I had NOT checked whether ACR was properly installed - at that time, having looked at 'formats accepted' and seen '.raw' I initially believed that included camera raw. I will check that when I get home (Greece) and check what ACR I have (I see it lists Digilux 2 as requiring only 2.1, so it can't be that it's too old. I'll have to check whether I even remembered to install it (does CS 5 have ACR on it, or do I always have to install Camera Raw?).

I'm trying to open in from the downloaded files, in my pictures folders.

Thanks,

Peter

• 5. Re: Leica .raw won't open in CS5
                  Jeff Schewe Community Member

Peter Koronaios wrote:

I'll have to check whether I even remembered to install it (does CS 5 have ACR on it, or do I always have to install Camera Raw?).

The default install of CS5 would include ACR 6.0. If you've updated CS5 (12.0.4 is I think the most recent version) you prolly have a later version. Again HOW are you trying to open the raw files, from within Bridge? Or directly in the finder? ACR works in bothBridge AND Photoshop so knowing how you are trying to open the image helps with the troubleshooting...

• 6. Re: Leica .raw won't open in CS5
                    station_one Community Member

Jeff Schewe wrote:

The default install of CS5 would include ACR 6.0…

Just as a matter of interest, I got my copy of the CS5 Mac Upgrade DVD in the box direct from Adobe via FedEx today, Friday, April 6.  It's labeled just plain ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CS5, and it installed Ps 12.1 with ACR 6.0.3 right off the DVD. 

Just needed to update ACR to 6.6 through the Adobe Auto Updater.

I had never bought a Ps release so late in the release cycle, and my previous experience had always been as Jeff Schewe indicates above.  The recent offer to get CS6 for free motivated me to get CS5 this week, a version I had otherwise fully intended to skip.

• 7. Re: Leica .raw won't open in CS5
                      station_one Community Member

Peter Koronaios wrote:

…do I always have to install Camera Raw?…

You need to update to the latest version of ACR three to four times a year, as each new release has improvements and bug fixes beside support for new camera models.

• 8. Re: Leica .raw won't open in CS5

Dear Jeff,

How do I open it, you asked..... I open a page, and go to the upper left, where it has the 'open', and select the file to open (the file, which is the file ending in .raw). I do not know what this is call, but anyway it is from the new photoshop page, onthe top left.

I did not know whether it had or did not have a camera_raw, but if they normally do, I can't see why mine should not.

Peter