Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reading ebooks from an external hard drive with ADE

Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ADE installed on a netbook [an Acer with a relatively tiny hard drive] and I have found that since I started downloading my ebooks to it the performance on the computer [not surprisingly] has become rather slow.  The obvious solution to me would be to transfer all my current ebooks and download all future acquisitions to a 500 GB external hard drive.  However, I haven't been able to figure out 1) whether this is even possible or 2) how to go about it if it is indeed possible.  Given some of the [IMO ridiculous] restrictions placed on ADE readable ebooks, and some of the horror stories I've seen online, I have been reluctant to experiment, lest my currently perfectly accessible ebooks somehow become permanently off-limits and thereby unreadable.

Is there some solution to my problem?  I have considered:

- simple transfer of my current ebook file folder to the relevant external hard drive [ but have been unable to figure out how to "point" ADE to that location so the ebooks can be read]

- transfer of both ADE and all ebooks to the relevant external hard drive [but am not sure if ADE will work if it's not resident on the main hard drive; additionally can see problems with my authorization if I just pick up everything via cut / past - would it screw up my authorization?]

I'd really like a way to free up the GBs of hard drive space which I used to be able to use for cache purposes but which are now clogged up by these ADE-required files.

TIA for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My 'handle' is a result of similar "frustration". I also happen to use an

Acer laptop built in the mid-'90's.

ADE was built in the 1990's, with a design approach that is a bit obsolete

today. So, the product has some limitations. First, and probably worst,

is that it makes you use your C:\ drive for critical files and the My

Digital Editions folder, which manages the ebooks.

You can have ebooks located elsewhere. Just download the ebook to

a location, then open ADE and use the 'Add Item To Library' function. That

process allows you to tell ADE where the ebook is located.

[BTW: my local computer guru was able to upgrade the hard drive on my Acer

to 100Gb. That solved many, many problems.]

=================

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines