9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2012 2:21 PM by airstorm RSS

Desynchronisation of video and audio when importing xvids etc.

airstorm Community Member

Hi

When Im importing compressed feature films to Premiere Pro CS5.5 like xvid or divx video and audio is desynchronised on timeline. You can see this after about 10-15 minutes, at 1 hours its difference of few seconds. When I set fps of project the same as fps of film problem still exists. Anybody has a clue?

And second short question: is there still no chance to open icod format films on PC? I read some 2-years old articles that its impossible, but I hope due this date it changed...

thanks!

• 1. Re: Desynchronisation of video and audio when importing xvids etc.
          Harm Millaard CommunityMVP

DivX and Xvid are not suitable for editing. Get the original material from the copyright owner. Or try a consumer application like WMM or Magix.

DivX and Xvid need to be converted externally to an editable format (Google for a suitable converter) and then accept the severe quality hit you will suffer if you want to use CS5.x. Your ophthalmologist will love you for it, but the watchers may hate the headaches.

• 2. Re: Desynchronisation of video and audio when importing xvids etc.
            the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

Welcome to the forum.

I second Harm's advice. From time-to-time, I was handed Xvid/DivX footage, and conversion was the way that I always went. Quality is pretty bad, due to the CODEC and compression used. That material is fine for providing streaming video, but not much else. I am surprised that you even GOT Video from it, at all.

I have found that both Magix MovieEdit Pro, and CyberLink's PowerDirector (I have older versions of each), will do a better job, than any Adobe product, but issues do still arise. Conversion is almost always a better workflow for my.

For the OOS aspect, it might be possible to correct that, but conversion will be less work. This ARTICLE discusses one workflow for correcting OOS.

As for support of ICOD (the Apple Intermediate CODEC), I have heard of no intention to support that. Possibly one reason is that PrPro is designed to natively edit its supported formats/CODEC's, so no intermediate CODEC is needed, or used. Like DivX/Xvid, I would just keep it out of my workflow, if at all possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Desynchronisation of video and audio when importing xvids etc.

thank you for such a quick and helpful answer!

ok, so I will try to convert xvids to other format. But do you have any advices how to do this most quickly and with most little lose of quality? I remember that I used some time ago Virtual Dub, maybe I should convert it to uncompressed avi?

Im working on xvids cause I have task on my university class to make a short movie like "found footage", so I just need to take about 8 movies, cut some fragments and make new piece of it. It seems easy, but also takes really a lot of time, and this problem with synchronisation stopped my work. I hope that this conversion doesnt take so much time and it will solve a problem. Oh, and come on - sometimes xvids are not so bad!

But its really a pity that its impossible to open ICOD on PC... Im really surprised and its big problem for me, cause I have about 60 short videos in this format and I need to edit this. Some guy captured it on Mac and gaved it to me, but I had no idea I cannot open it on PC. And I cannot ask anybody to lend me his Mac for such a long time to convert these all files to some suitable format... BTW, which format should be best to convert ICOD to some PC-suitable format?

thanks again!

• 4. Re: Desynchronisation of video and audio when importing xvids etc.
                John T Smith CommunityMVP

>icod format

I do not remember ever seeing ICOD mentioned before

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html

If you have a red line over the timeline after importing a video and before adding any effects... your project is wrong for your video... read above about codecs

Once you know exactly what it is you are editing, report back with that information... and your project setting, and if there is a red line above the video in the timeline, which indicates a mismatch between video and project

• 5. Re: Desynchronisation of video and audio when importing xvids etc.

ok John, thank you for advices, I will try to do this. I will be at my PC with Premiere on Wednesday, now I can provide you only partial info about these files seem to be icod (I dont have them on computer Im using now, so I cant check it with gspot/mediainfo, but maybe it would be enough):

Format                           : QuickTime

Format/Info                      : Original Apple specifications

Overall bit rate mode            : Variable

Overall bit rate                 : 47.0 Mbps

Writing library                  : Apple QuickTime

Video

ID                               : 3

Format                           : Intermediate Codec

Codec ID                         : icod

Codec ID/Hint                    : Apple

Duration                         : 17s 360ms

Bit rate mode                    : Variable

Bit rate                         : 45.5 Mbps

Width                            : 1 920 pixels

Height                           : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 16:9

Frame rate mode                  : Constant

Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.878

Stream size                      : 94.2 MiB (97%)

Language                         : English

Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-05-01 19:09:55

Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-05-01 19:09:55

Audio

ID                               : 2

Format                           : PCM

Format settings, Endianness      : Big

Format settings, Sign            : Signed

Codec ID                         : twos

Duration                         : 17s 360ms

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 2 channels

Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                        : 16 bits

Stream size                      : 3.18 MiB (3%)

Language                         : English

Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-05-01 13:57:29

Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-05-01 13:58:04

--

I have Windows 7 64bit.

Somebody suggested me this should help:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en263545

• 6. Re: Desynchronisation of video and audio when importing xvids etc.
                    Harm Millaard CommunityMVP

Im working on xvids cause I have task on my university class to make a short movie like "found footage", so I just need to take about 8 movies, cut some fragments and make new piece of it. It seems easy, but also takes really a lot of time, and this problem with synchronisation stopped my work.

Just wondering about the integrity of that university that suggests you use copyrighted material without the explicit and written approval of the copyright owners. That is not legal. Is this a Crime University?

Don't you have a way to use legally acquired footage to which you are allowed to edit? I may have some footage for you which is not that compressed, just let me know your requirements.

• 7. Re: Desynchronisation of video and audio when importing xvids etc.
                      John T Smith CommunityMVP

Hmm... I do not work on video from a Mac, but I have read before that SOME Mac "intermediate codecs" are specific to the Mac, with no comparison in the PC area

I don't know if ICOD is one of those... but... as I said before, I've don't remember ever seeing that codec mentioned before (you might search the forum, from the main page)

I would not have the faintest idea what may be available on a PC to convert that codec to something you may edit

You MIGHT try Apple's Quicktime Pro for PC (I think it is $29) to see if it will convert ICOD to AVI

• 8. Re: Desynchronisation of video and audio when importing xvids etc.
                        the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

When I have had to work with DivX/Xvid material, I have used DigitalMedia Converter 2.7 (older version), BUT it is shareware, and not freeware. It allows batch processing, so one can load it up with multiple files, and then convert them in one session.

Now, the choices of conversion are predicated on the Source files. If you are doing an SD Project, going to DVD-Video, then you can convert to DV-AVI w/48KHz 16-bit Audio, and that will be quite good - remember, the Xvid CODEC threw out most of the qualtity. The MS DV CODEC will compress the footage in conversion, but it is fairly light.

If you are working with HD material, in an HD Sequence, I would look into converting to MS-AVI (not the same as DV-AVI), and use one of the free lossless CODEC's, such as Lagarith Lossless, or UT Lossless. That will be even better, but still, there's the quality loss, when the original material was output to Xvid.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Desynchronisation of video and audio when importing xvids etc.

Excuse me, but how can you know what material Im exactly using, if its for sure copyrighted (and if it does, do I have permission), for what purpose it will be used and who will see it, and whats the law of my country and copyrights rules of our authors? Seer?

Is author of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0A2_A1oRhc and thousands of similar to him/her rotting in jails? Heh.