6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2012 8:55 AM by nealeh RSS

Pre10 crashes, hangs, and "Error compiling movie. Unknown error."

cbinford

I'm using Premiere Elements 10.0 and an am having a lot of trouble.  On a simple project (just half a dozen video clips with audio and some DVD menu stuff) I din't have much trouble. However my bigger project (which is the reason I bought PRE10) isn't working well at all.  My pc specs are at the bottom of the post.

Issue 1.  about a third of the time, when starting PRE10, the opening welcome screen comes up, I hit 'Open Project', it start to load, then gets an error.  With this error I also get an entry in windows event viewer, application log of:  Faulting application adobe premiere elements.exe, version 10.0.0.0, faulting module gdiplus.dll, version 5.2.6002.22509, fault address 0x0000f47d. 

If I get past that bug, the PRE sometimes just freezes up (a couple times with the audio track still playing, but otherwise frozen).

After many frustrating hours, I think I'm close to having my project complete, and now PRE won't render and create a file.  I've tried just a short snippet, or the entire thing - either way it renders for a while (just a few minutes), then gives the subject line error message - "Unknown error" isn't very helpful!   Once, after getting this error an I let it sit there a whle, it then gave the same gdipluss.dll fault that I typically see on startup.

I'd love to have all of these issues solved, but I most important thing is being about to get some sort of output!  I've tried a variety of output format, all do the same thing (mpeg2, avchd, dvd, hdtv, etc.)

Thanks

Charles

Details:

- video format is AVCHD (m2ts) coming from a Panasonic HDC-TM90.

- mostly a single video track with audio, sometimes a second video track layered on top

- narration track in .wav format

- soundtrack in .wav format

- roughly 30 minutes long

- video files are coming off of the external usb 500GB drive

- I've played with setting the rendering location to the mostly empty E: drive or the mostly full C: drive - no difference

- I see from other posts about crashes that a key question is what is the project format set to.  How do I tell??  I chose that a month back (been working on this off and on for a while...) and I don't remember, and don't see how to check the current settings.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.111025-1629)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: PCCHIPS

System Model: P53G

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 1819MB used, 2123MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9505)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9505&SUBSYS_E6301002&REV_00

Display Memory: 512.0 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: SyncMaster P2350/P2350G,SyncMaster Magic P2350G(Digital)

Monitor Max Res: 1920,1080

Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7236 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 10/25/2011 20:04:50, 304128 bytes

Drive: C:

Free Space: 52.0 GB

Total Space: 238.5 GB

File System: NTFS

Model: WDC WD2500JS-60MHB5                          WD-WCANKM19329410.02E04

Drive: E:

Free Space: 147.8 GB

Total Space: 152.6 GB

File System: NTFS

Model: ST3160023A

Drive: F:

Free Space: 32.2 GB

Total Space: 476.8 GB

File System: FAT32

Model: WD 5000AAJ External USB Device

• 1. Re: Pre10 crashes, hangs, and "Error compiling movie. Unknown error."
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Welcome to the forum.

I would first look at this ARTICLE on Error Compiling Movie.

Next, see this ARTICLE on crashing/hangling.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Pre10 crashes, hangs, and "Error compiling movie. Unknown error."

For the Project Settings, choose Edit>Project Settings, and you can see them all, with the General Tab (most important), Capture (should not affect your Project), Video Rendering (again, should not have much info for you now), and Default Timeline (defines how the Timeline is set up initially, and not of any real use here).

Now, and with the Source Files and Project on your E:\, or your external HDD, how much free-space is on your C:\. That can be very important, especially as with only 2GB RAM, you WILL be using your Windows Page File (Virtual Memory) often, and heavily.

Now, though this is covered in one of the links in the PrE Crashing & Hanging article (Memory & Resources), how is your Page File managed, and is it located on your C:\?

Also, is your Project file (the PREL) located with the Source Files, on either E:\, or your external HDD? I know that you have tried several locations. Also, where are your Scratch Disks (Edit>Preferences) set to? Those can be very large, and if one has them pointed to a nearly full HDD, can crash things.

Last, at least for now, is your F:\ your external HDD? If so, it is formatted FAT-32, and that limits file sizes to ~ 4GB. This ARTICLE will tell you how to Convert a FAT-32 HDD to NTSF.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Pre10 crashes, hangs, and "Error compiling movie. Unknown error."
              cbinford Community Member

Bill, thanks for the quick reply.  Looking around a bit on this forum and it is apparent you're a busy guy!  Thanks for you efforts in getting folks like me up and running.

I've attempted a few changes with mixed results.

- deleted everything from my e:\ drive, defragged it, then put the windows page file there as fixed size of 4GB.

- didn't "fix" the create movie issue

- tried all of the scratch fies on c:\ and on e:\

- tried the prel file on both the original C:\ drive and moving it to E:\

- copied all the origial movie clips (m2ts files) from the external USB drive (F:) to E:\

Here is where I'm getting some mixed results.  One of the "how to fix it" pages you pointed me at mentioned something about a particular clip may be causing the issue.  With that in mind I moved the markers over a few minutes in the timeline and attempted to just render that portion (vs. the beginning 2 minutes of the 30 minutes I was attempting over the weekend).  I was successful a few time with a short 2 minute section in the middle of the, so I moved the markers back a bit.  It failed, but worse it also fails back where it originally worked.  So I'm thinking it is intermittent and I just got lucky a couple of times.

So, a glimmer of hope, but I'm out of ideas of what to try next.  (BTW:  I've ordered more RAM, but as I read the performance monitor I''m only using 1.7 of the 2GB currently installed).

• 4. Re: Pre10 crashes, hangs, and "Error compiling movie. Unknown error."

Now, and especially as DVD's are MPEG-2, and hence use GOP, having Chapter Markers too close, can cause issues. Not sure if that is the problem here, but often moving Chapter Markers a few Frames, can get things to work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Pre10 crashes, hangs, and "Error compiling movie. Unknown error."
                  cbinford Community Member

Following up on an old thread.  I played around with a lot of stuff, including adding memory (4GB installed), moving stuff to a second internal drive instead of running off of the usb connected drive, loading a fresh copy of windows (XP, SP3), etc.  Nothing worked.  Finally I remembered seeing some discussion thread title in my earlier google searches mentioning something about ATI graphic cards.  So, I pulled out the "ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series" and replaced it with an old "GeForce 6200 TurboCache" I had left over.  The NVIDIA card is not near as fast as II can no longer get SplashLite or VLC to play the raw m2ts files (the ATI would, but struggled with a bit of choppiness) BUT Premiere ELements will render a file without giving an 'unknown error' now.

So the new question is whether or not there is some workaround for the ATI card, or do I need to get a new graphics card.  I'd really like to be able to play the raw files, so the GeForce 6200 has to go.  So if anyone has some tricks to get the ATI card running, OR recommendations on an Elements compatible graphics card that has enough umph to play full HD raw files but not too costly (I'd like to stay < $75) I'm all ears! 

Thanks,

cb

• 6. Re: Pre10 crashes, hangs, and "Error compiling movie. Unknown error."
                    nealeh Community Member

cbinford wrote:

So the new question is whether or not there is some workaround for the ATI card,

From your specs at the top your graphics driver is "Driver Date/Size: 10/25/2011 20:04:50, 304128 bytes". ATI, like nvidia, tend to release new drivers every couple of months. Go to the AMD website and see if there is a more up to date version and see if that solves your issue.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children