27 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2012 9:29 AM by able123 RSS

cs6 for color blind people

Community Member

Hi,

I'm color blind. Which means I can't see color. Dogs are like that too I think... they see in black and white. Something about rods and cones in the eyeball.

anyway, I wonder... since I'm about to get into editing etc... if there is a plug in or something I can use with cs5.5 ( or upcoming releases) to do automatic color correction on things I edit ????

So that I get the right color.

Not for " me " , you understand, cause I can't see color anyway... but for " you " and others that can actually see colors.

I'm not thinking of myself here... like a selfish user of program.

I'm thinking of your own happiness.

Any suggestions ???

• 1. Re: cs6 for color blind people
          Community Member

I realized some more info might be needed to put this in perspective after I posted that...

I went to pratt for fine arts photo major in 70's and then went to work for joel meyerowitz and then cbs ( custom b&w printing in their headquarters nyc) and then got into scouting locations for tv and film and then became a grip ( and worked for 35 years mostly as dolly grip but lighting sets , set construction, rigging too ).. sorta floated around.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0061921/

I kept the fact that Im color blind a secret until now.  its because I'm about to retire from the film biz and feel I dont have to keep it a secret anymore.

whew, what a relief !

http://rodneybauer.com/

But I do want to keep working on stuff even after I retire, so if you have any stuff I can help you with feel free to call etc.  Just bear with me when we talk about subtle differences between CRT monitors and final grading and stuff like that... cause to be honest I dont have a clue what green grass looks like to YOU.  But hope you like it !

its beer thirty so YIPEE !   and I'll let you know if I invent a plug in for color blind people and dogs etc.

• 2. Re: cs6 for color blind people
            Community Member

Demo no. 16.jpg

for example, do you see a number ??? I dont !

WOOF !

• 3. Re: cs6 for color blind people
              the_wine_snob Community Member

Rod,

I was going to ask about the "degree" of color blindness, as there are many. Also, some can be affected within fairly narrow color ranges. However, that example is pretty distinct to me (well before Wine Thirty gets cranking - then all bets are off).

Now, PrPro offers an Auto Color Corrector Effect. However, I have really not explored it, as most other "Auto" Effects only work, when lighting, exposure, and about everything else, stays constant in a Clip. When there are any changes, the Effect tends to "strobe," and that is for Auto Levels, Highlight & Shadow on Auto, etc.. Just do not know how Auto Color functions, as I use Fast Color Corrector, or Three-Way Color Corrector.

Maybe a pair of John Lennon "rainbow eye glasses" would be helpful? However, I would speculate that the colors that he saw were at least partially enhanced by other stimuli?

Sorry to hear about the color blindness. In the work of yours, that I saw, I did not realize that your vision was limited at all.

Maybe others will have some insight on Auto Color from a 3rd party provider, that does not suffer from the usual issues with Adobe's implementation of almost any Auto Effect.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - maybe just before you retire, you could claim that your "disability" is the direct result of working under HMI lighting, and get a pot-o-money.

• 4. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                Community Member

I dont have a disability.

I consider the difference rather between my perception and others as nothing more than perception.

In other words, if my scopes show me the color ( rbg ) and parades, and waveforms etc and I have accurate representation of color with a pro editing system ( whether 3rd party peripherals or not , whether crt of not --- you know, stuff you can depend on and light on set with the real data on screen at the DIT station )... then I am a happy clam.

I dont care if you see the same stuff as long as you like it.... cause I know it is real and everyone with normal vision can agree to it... including the basics  ( rec 709 etc.. thats the whole point of that stuff )

that said, if I cant know what I am getting at the " end " of my editing due to various products and color spaces, I need to know SOME very easy way to 'see' the real product ( now we get into the IRE values and so on...?? ).. and shoot live with that DIT info and lighting info ( whats hot and whats not ) and get on with life on the movie set.

I was sorta being honest about the color blindness thing.. but at the same time, as you said, there are ' values' to that.. maybe for me it is not as primary as I inferred.. but for my puposes here it makes the ' point'.

talking about purposes, did you hear about the ones stranded off the coast of Australia yesterday ? I think some wombats rescued them... or maybe it was an emu... why is my crossword puzzle always bringing me down under ??

• 5. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                  joe bloe premiere Community Member

You've found your "Special Purpose"!

• 6. Re: cs6 for color blind people

Rod,

Just so that you know, I was not poking fun at the color blindness "thing." I take eyesight very seriously, especially as mine is going.

I can no longer get to 20/20 with glasses, and only with contacts. However, as I suffer from astigmatism, and to a degree, where contacts cannot correct it, I am caught in a gray area. My near vision is also declining rapidly too. I now need to wear the contacts for sports, long daylight driving, etc., but then need at least two pair of different readers for almost anything within about 20', with one featuring anastigmatic correction. Get me into a dim restaurant, and I need readers to even see my food, but different readers for the menu. With night driving, I need readers way out on the tip of my nose, to see the dashboard clearly, but not to interfere with my distant vision. With my glasses, I use one set for distance, one set with anastigmatic corrections and graduated focal lengths (works well on the computer, but makes walking down stairs tricky), and then a pair with lineless bifocals, for general near-to-far. It's tough getting old, and having to carry around a box of various glasses, and contact lenses, switching out, depending on what I am doing - oh, I also need sunglasses of a couple of types, as well, since AZ has very bright skies with lots and lots of sun.

For me, I am fortunate, as the color recognition is still quite good. It's just the eyesight that is going, but at least those poor weak eyes ARE healthy. Being the visual person that I am, I would hate to imagine life without my sight.

No, no joking on my part.

Not sure what's up with your cross-word puzzles. Maybe the authors are all Craig's neighbors?

Hunt

• 7. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                      Community Member

ohhh, i know you werent making fun or stuff... about the color blindness thing...

even if you were I would just laugh with you anyway as I know you arent mean spirited etc.

wow, your eye stuff is wayyyy more complicated than mine. I just wear reading glasses and driving glasses. i dont know what you call it , but one of my eyes is nearsighted and one is farsighted.  I used to think that it sorta " evened " out where I wouldnt need glasses for anything, but times have changed with age...

specially driving at night... without glasses I'm doomed.

I do read a lot, and use computer a lot, sooooo, the reading glasses help but my eyes still get 'tired' and blurred vision results after a long time using the reading glasses.  weird.

your stuff is way more complicated.

I sometimes see people who cant see and feel so bad that i want to hug them or something.. but of course that would be too weird for them

" Hi, you dont know me, but is it OK if I give you a big hug right here in the middle of grand central station ? "

" Get away from me YOU FREAK ! "

new yorkers arent really big on ' hugs ' from strangers.

it has a bad rep sometimes. the other day i was working on some movie on the street in manhattan..and some tourist drove by and stopped and said, " Hi, can you tell me where the statue of liberty is, or should I just go F... myself ?? "

• 8. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                        shooternz Community Member

Forget about editing and color grading Rod.

Go out and continue your photography..of which I have just taken a look at.

Very, very  nice work.

Craig

• 9. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                          Community Member

Thanks Craig !

I'm in limbo now anyway.. graphics card died the other day, am using onboard vga now. Money from tax refunds I was gonna use for new computer and upgrade of editing program is now needed for moving expenses. Such is life I guess...but that leaves me in the SD only category of editing.

And no color grading with cs3.. that whole thing is sorta a joke... I mean, you can get close with levels and so on...but I'm sorta stuck in the pro sumer world now... and even THAT must be SD downconverted.

Anyway, right now I gotta focus on moving and a new job. Am getting out of union stuff ( IATSE )... and will work for at least 3 years doing something else... and then retire maybe.

I don't care what I do for the 3 years... even home depot would be OK with me...with all my rigging and construction experience etc... on movies ... it would be kinda fun to help customers find what they want or need , or help them solve problems how to do certain things.

everything up in air right now...but thanks for your encouragement.. from you it means a lot, having seen your work.

Rod

• 11. Re: cs6 for color blind people

F'ing Bogus!!!!!

I pray that it is Corel, but with reservations.

I have used WordPerfect from back to about WP 1.5, when it WAS WordPerfect, based in Orem, UT, USA. I struggled through the Novell days, and then the Corel days, but still use that program, as I like it much better, than Word. The latter is too "dumbed down," and because I use it on a limited basis, can never, never get it to do, what I want.

Then, there is Painter. I have used that program, from the old Fractal Design days. Love it. Corel bought it, and changed everything up, but I got by. I stll use it, but hate to think of Painter_x, like FCPx. Now, there was a Painter X, but it was OK. I am thinking of a complete rework, rendering the program totally useless.

I think that Apple needs to seel their "light days" iPads and iPhones (and maybe use batteries with more than 1 hour of life?). They should stay far, far away from Corel, and even farther away from Adobe. They will ruin either corporation. You have done a buzz-kill on my night, even with a glass of nice Meursault in front of me. I want to go into the corner of the yard and be sick... very sick.

Hunt

[Edit] If Apple buys either, then I will say a prayer of thanks that I am now retired, and have the latest Adobe and Corel, for my uses, and will never have to upgrade to an Apple version again. I will plod along with what I have, and just say good-bye.

• 12. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                              Community Member

========

I want to go into the corner of the yard and be sick... very sick.

=======

leave some grass for me to eat too....

woof

• 13. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                                Stan Jones MVP

Wasn't paying attention, then I heard some "woofs" coming this thread...

Woof, woof!!!

• 14. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                                  Community Member

its amazing how " woof " can mean so many good things !

woof !

• 15. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                                    Stan Jones MVP

Woooof!

• 16. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                                      Community Member

( forum turning into fun " dog run " park )

Well.... I have all this strange stuff going on in life...

mainly I must move out of NY area to more affordable area ( especially rent ).

I have decided NOT to work on any more movies and tv shows etc...and will 'retire' in 3 years... the retirement numbers are locked in for the union stuff.

which means I gotta work for about 3 years doing just about anything to get by etc.

hoping to move to MN, near some friends, I applied for job at a home depot out there online yesterday.

I got an automated phone interview today.

then I got a real person interview today.

Here's where it got a bit dicey.

" Are you available for a face to face interview Friday ? "

" Hmmm, you do know I'm in NYC right ? "

a long silence ensued ... although my application does give my ny address and phone number etc.

I explained how I'm like MOVING to MN and could I have a face to face interview in NY area and have the results forwarded.

" no . Call us when you get here ".

its not easy lining up jobs from out of state.  I hung up and made a muffled ' woofle ' sound, like when a bulldog is refused cake.

• 17. Re: cs6 for color blind people

Bulldogs do not abide with being denied cake. If necessary, they will stretch themselves, like The Incredibles, and get the cake. Sort of like the Bumpus' hounds.

Hunt

• 18. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                                          davidbeisner2010 Community Member

Bill Hunt wrote:

Now, PrPro offers an Auto Color Corrector Effect. However, I have really not explored it, as most other "Auto" Effects only work, when lighting, exposure, and about everything else, stays constant in a Clip. When there are any changes, the Effect tends to "strobe," and that is for Auto Levels, Highlight & Shadow on Auto, etc.. Just do not know how Auto Color functions, as I use Fast Color Corrector, or Three-Way Color Corrector.

I know I'm late jumping in here, but figured I'd offer my first hand knowledge that the auto color corrector sucks just as badly as every other auto effects feature in PrPro...

• 19. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                                            Community Member

well, I say this with a grin on my face, as I love you Dave... as you know...I hope...

Sooo... grinning away I say..... yes, you're right you are jumping in a bit late, so where the heck have you BEEN you slacker ! ????

Dont you realize this forum has enormous impact on the continued evolution of the product ???? And YOUR input ( data language that used to mean " your opinion " ) means a LOT to everyone ??

And then, beyond that little chastisement of you living your own life and doing well etc.... especially with a son who can now probably reach your computer and kitchen appliances etc .....as he explores planet earth... and his home....you have the nerve to say auto stuff sucks in general ???

sheesh...

I can only say, as a color blind person, who sees the world similar as dogs see the world ( which explains why I get along with dogs pretty good usually.. especially when they aren't trying to bite me )... that auto stuff is GREAT.  But unfortunately not good for pro work.  Otherwise it's kinda a good all around basic play thing.  But this software is about market share, not about pro use, and if it was pro use it would have to cost about 10x what it now sells for.

• 20. Re: cs6 for color blind people

Dont you realize this forum has enormous impact on the continued evolution of the product ????

Yes, we all know that Todd hangs out here, to gather all of the "Feature Requests" for each new version. Why, he's probably already working a team of programers to do "Color Correction for Color Blind People."

BTW - Are you in MN yet?

Hunt

• 21. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                                                Tim Flippance

Actualy all mammals except the apes see two colors, green and blue, so all they see is mixtures of green and blue. The apes including us see three colors. red, green and blue, giving us a much greater range of color. Birds can see four colors, red, green, blue and ultra-violet so their complexity of color vision is even greater. Insects can see ultra-violet too.

• 22. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                                                  Community Member

Bill... negative, I am still in NY, and plan on getting into rented truck to drive drive drive to MN May 10.

I expect driving driving driving will be a lot like that safari edit job - walking walking walking ??

Tim, you mean dogs aren't color blind ?? And here I thought all these years that was the reason I get along with them so well ....

hmmm... maybe it's my propensity to use hydrants and trees to relieve myself on sets outside -- where the honey wagon is a mile away ??

life is full of mysteries

• 23. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                                                    Tim Flippance Community Member

Yeah dogs are not totaly color blind, but they are very warm sociable animals so they get on with anyone, they have no prejudices, so if they can just smell where you last urinated they will love you forever.

• 24. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                                                      Community Member

I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that I see less color than even a dog does...though I also am glad that I've been able to work in a business that requires an amazing amount of color awareness ...maybe I can " smell " the color ?? Or " hear it " ?  I may be operating on some other plane of existence re: sensitivity to reality ?  Like Jim and Ann and Hunt and Harm, and Todd, Stan, and all my friends here...

woof !

ps... I showed this to my dog just now and he barked 16 times !

Demo+no.+16.jpg

• 25. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                                                        davidbeisner2010 Community Member

I've been stinking busy recently... we lost our web programmer where I work, so they've dumped the web department on me as well... I've also had a headache with computer problems that has put me way behind on editing, so I've been swamped getting caught back up... but, hopefully I'll be here a little more often in the coming weeks...

• 26. Re: cs6 for color blind people

"16?" I thought that said "Beer Thirty... " Oh well, maybe it IS time to see my eye Doctor, after all.

Hunt

• 27. Re: cs6 for color blind people
                                                            Community Member

Bill,

if you can read this.jpg

Dave, Welcome back you slacker !

yesterday I threw out 2 rolls of seamless ( one never opened ), a 20x bleached Mus ( with stain from rusty water..needed to be cleaned ), and my portable fedders AC.

moving right along with the old " drive drive drive " deadline...