• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I hide rejected images while showing all others?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to set the filter to display only unrated and rated images so that rejected images disappear from the view as soon as I type "X" and move on to the next image.  Then I want go through my rejects to make sure they are all duds before deleting them permanently, and i don't want to see them again until I do that.  I can display one star or greater, but I can't figure out how to display unrated or greater  Surely this is user error and not poorly designed filtering. 

DLS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

I think you're getting confused between flags and ratings. 'Reject' is a flag, so when you have your images all together in the grid, set the Flag attributes for 'Flagged' and 'Unflagged' (click on the first two flag icons)....this will leave all the images in the grid, but as soon as you hit 'X' to reject one it will disappear from the grid as it no longer meets the filter criteria.

Then change the Flag attribute to Rejected only, to see the rejects. The flag status choices are toggle on/off, so

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're getting confused between flags and ratings. 'Reject' is a flag, so when you have your images all together in the grid, set the Flag attributes for 'Flagged' and 'Unflagged' (click on the first two flag icons)....this will leave all the images in the grid, but as soon as you hit 'X' to reject one it will disappear from the grid as it no longer meets the filter criteria.

Then change the Flag attribute to Rejected only, to see the rejects. The flag status choices are toggle on/off, so you click on all three....the first two turn 'flagged' and 'unflagged' off, and the last one will turn 'Rejected' on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the filter bar right above the filmstrip at the bottom, you can choose to show any combination of rated, unrated, rejected.  In your case, you choose rated and unrated (click on each until it is highlighted).  Then do X as you suggest.  Then you unclick rated and unrated, and only click/select rejected.  As soon as you change any one of them to rated or unrated it will disappear from your filtered selection of rejects. Then you can select all the rejects and delete them.

If this filtering option does not show up on that bar, start by clicking next to "Custom Filter" and choose ratings to show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rating equal to zero ang flag is unflagged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

DLS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2013 Dec 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very confusing piece of UI. Not only does the "rejected" flag look like a flag with a plus sign on it rather than an "x", but the flags are all grey. Whether they are less gray "active" or more gray "inactive" can only be discerned by repeatedly clicking them on and off and watching for the change. In addition, there is nothing about the button block to make you think that more than one can be active at the same time. The subtlety of the active vs. inactive greys compounds the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with JohnnyPhotoshop. Why is there not an option to hide rejected images.  SIMPLE HIDE THE REJECTS. Should not require ten people to answer this question.

"Using the filter bar right above the filmstrip at the bottom, you can choose to show any combination of rated, unrated, rejected.  In your case, you choose rated and unrated (click on each until it is highlighted).  Then do X as you suggest.  Then you unclick rated and unrated, and only click/select rejected.  As soon as you change any one of them to rated or unrated it will disappear from your filtered selection of rejects. Then you can select all the rejects and delete them.

If this filtering option does not show up on that bar, start by clicking next to "Custom Filter" and choose ratings to show up."

Really? how about "hide rejects"  two words one mouse click. no BS.    I know that some ppl will say oh there's a learning curve. That is not an excuse to me for this kind of complication. Filter "hide rejects"  is not an option. please refer to the ten step process above. Grrr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK i get it. basically it seems to work like this. all images are imported as un-flagged, the default. which is the middle flag on the filter bar. Then you can select P for pick the flag on the left, X for rejected the flag to the right. Important  clicking the flag icon toggles on or off and not between P or X. Hovering over the flag with the cursor help says filter based on flag status. which means nothing. You have to figure out that it's a toggle and figure out what the icons mean because there are no clues.  Which brings me back to the original question, why is there not a preset for hiding the rejects?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who knows...but it's very easy to make one, that's what I did and called it "All not rejected" so it was top of the list.

1. Click the "Flagged" and  "Unflagged" flags (ie: the left and centre one).
  2. "Flagged and Unflagged" will show briefly on the screen.
  3. Click on the Preset arrows (to the far right of the flag icons)
  4. Select "Save current settings as new Pre-set"
  5. Give the Pre-set a memorable and informative name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You NicHamilton! This was a very helpful tip! 

And I learned something new - that I can save rating settings as presets! Wonderful! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if your rated/unrated tool is missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2016 Jan 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this problem is due to the confusing references to flags.

In my Lightroom library I reject the poor photos and I leave the remaining good photos as they are (i.e. I don't flag them or rate them). This is what happens with the various filters...

• Flagged Only : No photos are displayed. This suggests that the Rejected setting is not actually a flag.

• Flagged and Unflagged Photos : Displays all photos except those that were rejected.

• Unflagged Photos Only :  Displays all photos except those that were rejected. This is confusing since it suggests that the Rejected setting is a flag.

• Rejected Photos Only : Displays only REJECTED photos

• Unflagged and Rejected Photos : Displays ALL photos.

• Any Flag Status : Displays ALL Photos.

I created 3 custom filters based on these settings...

.ALL Photos (i.e. Any Flag Status)

.GOOD Photos (i.e. Flagged and Unflagged Photos)

.REJECTED Photos (i.e. Rejected Photos Only)

I put a dot before the filter name so that they appear at the top of the filter list.

Cheers

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2016 Sep 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just right-click one of the flags and choose Rejected Photos Only from the menu. Done.

If you'd like to understand the Flag filter more, I wrote a post about it on my blog. It's simple once you understand how they work, but honestly we shouldn't have to try so hard.

http://www.seriouslytrivial.com/2016/09/02/making-sense-of-lightroom-flag-filters-and-how-to-show-ju...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to make your presets the default behaviour? It's annoying to have to click it every time you swap collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the lock icon and the filter settings will remain the same as you change sources:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is still an issue, ten years on from the original post. I just went through my 750 images from a recent holiday and hit the 'X' for the Rejected flag on the ones I don't want to see, but had to create a custom filter in order to actually hide them. This only took a few clicks, but nevertheless I cannot understand why "Hide Rejected" is not on the default list of filters as you'd think it would be the most commonly used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines