10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2012 6:25 PM by R_Kelly RSS

How to remove arrow pointer in painting tool circle?

prman13 Community Member
      1. I'm running Adobe Photoshop 7.0 in Windows 7 Virtual XP mode, since the program won't run in Win7 64-bit mode.  It used to run fine in 32-bit mode. It runs OK in the virtual XP mode, but I find that the circle tool in the painting or clone stamp functions always has an arrowhead in the center of the circle.  It never used to, just the circle for painting or cloning.  How do I get rid of it?  Changing the settings in the Preferences menu does not help.
      2. Also, the virtual mode doesn't seem to allow updating program files, although it updates XP files.  Maybe there is a firewall issue?  I tried to download a Photoshop update file. There was a prompt asking where it should go.  But when I selected a place, and clicked OK, the Next button did not come on.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BK

• 1. Re: How to remove arrow pointer in painting tool circle?
          R_Kelly Community Member

For #2 you might download the 7.01 update to your win 7 desktop and copy it to the virtual machine.

• 2. Re: How to remove arrow pointer in painting tool circle?
            R_Kelly Community Member

Does the arrow look like the mouse cursor arrow?

Maybe if you could post a screenshot someone might know the cause.

• 3. Re: How to remove arrow pointer in painting tool circle?
              Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Extra cursors normally come from bugs in display drivers, bugs in plugins, and sometimes bugs in older tablet drivers.

• 4. Re: How to remove arrow pointer in painting tool circle?
                prman13 Community Member

Here's a simulated screen shot to show the problem I am having.  The circle and the mouse pointer move in tandem, although at separate speeds, wherein the arrow moves faster -- the circle always lags, and "catches up" to the arrow when you stop moving the mouse.  Very awkward to use in this manner.

Cursor tool (Copy).jpg

• 5. Re: How to remove arrow pointer in painting tool circle?
                  Noel Carboni Community Member

You are using an ancient outdated version of Photoshop in a modern version of Windows via the Windows XP Mode virtualization system.  It may just be too much to expect perfect integration.

But one thing you should always check when there are any display issues is whether you're running the latest display driver released by the company that makes your video card.  Display driver updates fix many problems.

-Noel

• 6. Re: How to remove arrow pointer in painting tool circle?
                    prman13 Community Member

I am using the latest and greatest video driver from NVIDIA, although this is loaded and updated in the Win 7 section of the computer, not within the virtual XPM window.

I have to laugh at your use of the terms "ancient and outdated" when referring to the software.  You are talking to a senior citizen, and if anything is ancient and outdated, it is I.  In fact, I purchased Photoshop 7.0 in October 2004.  That's eight years ago (in October).  It seems like the blink of an eye to me.

What is more, all of us cannot easily scarf up the $200 or so that Adobe wants for an upgrade.  If it were around fifty bucks, I wouldn't mind.  But $200 is a big piece of change, especially when I had to pay a few hundred more to upgrade Acrobat and Premier Elements and a number of other programs just so they would work with the 64-bit mode of Win 7.

You'll be here too someday.

BK

• 7. Re: How to remove arrow pointer in painting tool circle?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound critical of your age, and I too feel pretty old sometimes (I'm no spring chicken - hey, I get the senior discount at Einstein Bros Bagels ).

But in computer terms, Photoshop 7.0 is now almost 6 major versions out of date (Photoshop CS6 is 13.0).

If you had even a reasonably recent Macintosh model, we probably wouldn't even be discussing this, because there would be no way for you to run Photoshop 7.0 at all.

By the way, I'm not sure it's strictly necessary to run Photoshop 7.0 using Windows XP Mode.  I have Photoshop 6.0 installed right on Windows 7 x64 and it runs okay.  Do you have very large hard drives?  Why did you choose to install it using Windows XP Mode?

-Noel

• 8. Re: How to remove arrow pointer in painting tool circle?
                        prman13 Community Member

Noel,

Thanks for your response.  I was only joking.

As far as the virtual XP mode goes: I wasted a lot of time with Adobe techies – in India and elsewhere – first, trying to get an unlock code to install the Photoshop 7 on my new hard disk, then when it booted up, the program would not initialize.  I just get an error message, saying “Photoshop 7.9 could not initialize because your scratch disks are full.”  Then it shuts down.  This, after I have a 1.5 TB size new main drive.

Unless you have any ideas on how to get around this bad penny initialization error message, I am stuck.  It does work in XPM mode, though.  Although I was able to change the screen resolution to remove the mouse pointer in the circle tool, now the tool is the cursor that looks like a small oval over which crosshairs are placed.  I can’t seem to get a normal, single circle.  Is there a switch that restores cursors to a default?

Barrett Kalellis

• 9. Re: How to remove arrow pointer in painting tool circle?

There's no way I know of except to have free space smaller than 1 TB, I think.  That's why I asked if you have a large hard drive.

Try pressing the Caps Lock key to get away from the crosshair cursor.

I'm just guessing that your cursor issue may be a result of Photoshop running in a virtual Windows environment (and you're getting one cursor from the virtual guest machine, and one from the host), but I have no personal experience trying to run Photoshop 7 specifically under Windows XP Mode virtualization.

-Noel

• 10. Re: How to remove arrow pointer in painting tool circle?
                            R_Kelly Community Member

Also if that still happens without the caps lock on, look in photoshop under Edit>Preferences>Display&Cursors and set the Painting Cursors to Brush Size and the Other Cursors to Standard.