12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 8:21 PM by Steve 038 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Dreamweaver CS4 Serial Number Problems

Steve 038

Hi guys, I bought a new copy of Dreamweaver CS4 a couple of years ago, installed it, and its run fine. I don't build websites for a living, have just built one for myself and a couple of groups I'm involved with.

Just a few weeks back, I went to use the program and it told me to enter my Serial Number. I thought this was a bit wierd as I'd been using the program for a couple of years, and entered the Serial Number provided on the packaging when first installed. When I entered the Serial Number a red X appeared next to the number and the message "The serial number you entered is not valid"

Why would this have happened? Has the program been corrupted? I've been using the program without any problems until this started, now I can't seem to get into it. How can I fix this problem?

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 Serial Number Problems
          hans-g. MVP

Hi Steve,

you could have a look here to inform you about Adobes help

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Gen_WWCombined-combined-20080623_1026.pdf

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activation-deactivation-products.html

http://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup.

If you use this link: http://www.adobe.com/products/activation/phonenumbers.html you can also try the chat, and my experience with them has been very good:

drCahtSoftwAct.jpg

Good luck!

Hans-Günter

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 Serial Number Problems
            Steve 038 Community Member

Hi there hans-g, many thanks for your reply. Its much appreciated. I did take a look at the links you posted, and wondered if I needed to deactivate the copy thats on my other computer. But I was struggling with the Adobe instructions for doing this, it simply says: "Choose Help > Deactivate in the product you want to deactivate". How do I find where to do this? Is it in the folder the program is kept in?

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 Serial Number Problems
              hans-g. MVP

Hi Steve,

in my DW it's found here:

drDectivate01.jpg

and I got this message:

drDectivate02.jpg

Good luck!

Hans-Günter

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 Serial Number Problems

Hi there hans-g, thanks again for your help, and your pm. Its much appreciated. Unfortunately I can't get that far into my programe to actually reach the Help > Deactivate options, because my program isn't recognising my serial number. Any way I can still deactivate it? Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 Serial Number Problems
                  AllDayDev Adobe Employee

If you're unable to deactivate it from your old computer, then we understand.

Just go ahead and install/activate it on your new computer. If you encounter any issues with activating it, then contact our support via chat or phone and we can help get you activated.

Check this article for more info, including a phone number for contacting support: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activation-deactivation-products.html

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 Serial Number Problems
                    hans-g. MVP

Hi Steve,

at the moment I would like to repeat my recommendations from paragraph 1 of this thread, 'cause this must be the right way in this stage, to talk to Adobe itself about your problem.

Good luck!

Hans-Günter

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 Serial Number Problems
                      polar_bare Community Member

Steve-First make sure the serial number is exacly as on the packaging. I have had this problem before and it was one digit that was incorrect. I actuallu had to ask someone to read it off the label and I watched the computer.

If it was activated before, I am not sure why you would have to re-enter your serial number. I have received the "too many activations" on software that was not de-activated when I installed on a new system.

The only answer is to contact Adobe. It is a little frustrating because of the wait time, but in the end, they are courteous and will fix your problem.

Jim

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 Serial Number Problems

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies, I really appreciate it. Sorry for my slow response, I have to travel a bit for my work so have been away lately. Jim, I have checked the serial number a few times to make sure I didn't mess it up. But am still having issues.

Carey, the problem I'm having isn't with trying to install it on a new pc. The problem is with my two current pc's. I first loaded the product to my main pc approx 2 years ago, and its been working fine. I installed it to my laptop more recently when my main pc went in for some repairs. Its been working fine on the laptop too. However, in December last year, my main pc was struck with a virus. I don't know if this was at all related to the issues I'm now having with my serial number,  but the next time I went to use Dreamweaver, it started giving me a countdown for when I'd need to install my serial number. When that countdown reached 30 days it locked me out. When I entered my serial number, the red X appeared next to it and said "The serial number you entered is not valid".

The program worked fine on my laptop, until I went to use it a couple of weeks ago, and now when I open it an error message pops up which reads:

"Licencing for this product has stopped"

"This product has encountered a problem which requires that you restart your computer before it can be launched"

Then it goes on to tell me that if the problem continues I should contact Adobe, and it gives the error message: "Error: 148:3"

When I restart my computer, I get the same error message.

I have been really happy with the product. I don't want to install it on a new pc, I just want to sort out the serial number issues that have started and to get it working again on my existing pc and laptop.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 Serial Number Problems

Guys, thanks for your help with this. I phoned Adone about this. When I gave them my serial number, they said mine was an invalid serial number. So it looks like I must have been sold a bogus copy of Dreamweaver CS4. Its strange that my serial number worked fine on 2 different computers for nearly 2 years. I just tried emailing the person I bought the program from. They live in New Zealand, like me, but, surprise surprise, their email address no longer exists.

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 Serial Number Problems

I should point out, that the copy I purchased which I've recently discovered as having an invalid serial number, was extremely convincing. It was brand new, had all the Adobe Dreamweaver packaging, plus bar-codes and various codes on the box and plastic container the discs are kept in. It has a couple of booklets on other Adobe products, and both the Dreamweaver and "Learing Adobe Creative Suite 4" discs have Adobe logos, text, and trademark info on them. I'm frustrated I've been sold a fake copy, as I paid good money for it, and thought I was buying a legitimate copy.

I think its important Adobe knows there are such good rip-off copies of their products being produced and sold to unsuspecting customers, who, like me, think they're buying the genuine article. If Adobe would like my copy to examine, I'm happy to send it to them.

• 11. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 Serial Number Problems
                              John Waller MVP

Steve 038 wrote:

I think its important Adobe knows there are such good rip-off copies of their products being produced and sold to unsuspecting customers, who, like me, think they're buying the genuine article.

They already know.

They're acutely aware of the fact and they target piracy vigorously on an ROI basis.

I suspect that if they think it's worth chasing they'll do so but they're more interested in the suppliers who sell thousands or millions of pirate copies.

Steve 038 wrote:
                              If Adobe would like my copy to examine, I'm happy to send it to them.

Unlikely to achieve anything other than confirm that pirate copies are usually convincing at face value.

If you really want to follow it through, use this form

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/antipiracy/reportform.html

You got burned buying at an apparent bargain price from an unauthorised vendor. Lesson learned. Deals which seem too good to be true, usually are.

Buy from authorized vendors and register your serial number with Adobe when you buy it.

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 Serial Number Problems

Where did I say I bought it for a bargain basement price? I paid what appeared to be a fair price for a program that had just been superceded (I bought CS4, but CS5 had recently been released). The only reason I bought it from this seller was because I live in New Zealand, and I wanted to buy locally so if there were any problems I wouldn't have to spend an hour or two on hold waiting to speak with someone in another country to get my problems sorted.

And when I first installed it, the serial number was required, which I entered, and which I'd assumed had been sent to Adobe, as the program worked fine once the serial number was entered.

But, as you say, lesson learned.