I was familiar with the background updater prior to the post however the documentation in the link below still provides directions on how to confirm the autoupdatedisabled value is working correctly. Since the documentation still contained these instructions it led me to believe that even after you have disabled the background updater Flash will use the "old" method to check for updates. Is the section "Test auto-update notification settings" in the link below valid?
Gotcha, sorry for the redundant info. I'll find out the info and post back.
No problem. Thank you very much for following up. While your working on getting some info, I'll try to clarify a little more on what I'm seeing happen.
Each test is with Flash Player 184.108.40.206, with mms.cfg saved in the default installation dir (windows\system32\Macromed\Flash) with UTF-8 encoding. The admin documentation states the background updater is disabled by default, therefore it should be disabled because I have not specified otherwise. To be sure it was disabled I also did each test below a second time but I added
to mms.cfg. With that being said the background updater is/should be disabled and if what I have read (on one of the Adobe blog posts) is correct then Flash is now using the old/traditional method of updating.
Scenario A: AutoUpdate enabled (mms.cfg contents: AutoUpdateDisable=0 and AutoUpdateInterval=0)
1.Open IE (this is the first time IE has been opened since flash was installed)
2.Open a web page with Flash content
3.Packate sniffer shows traffic to fpdownload2.macromedia.com
6.Open a web page with Flash content
7.Package sniffer does *not* show traffic to fpdownload2.macromedia.com
Notes: I have even done tests where I wait an hour or two after step 4 before moving on to step 5, I have also attempted to reboot after step 4 but niether make any difference.
Scenario B: AutoUpdate disabled (mms.cfg contents: AutoUpdateDisable=1 and AutoUpdateInterval=0)
The exact same a scenario A.
Not knowing when Flash will check for an update again does not allow me to monitor it to ensure it doesn't. It appears it always checks the very first time but I have no clue when it will check again.
Here's what I've heard back from our installer engineers;
It should check every time. I executed the following tests on 32-bit Windows 7 with Firefox 11 and IE8, using Charles Proxy.
- ActiveX: I see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com when first viewing Flash content after installation and upon relaunching the browser. I do not see the request when refreshing the browser, but the request is made (I tested by deleting and modifying the FlashPlayerUpdate registry key refreshed the browser and the key was created/updated).
- Plugin: I do not see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com, however, the request is sent. I verified by deleting the FlashPlayerUpdate registry entry and again by modifying its contents. When I relaunch or refresh the browser, the key is created / updated.
- 220.127.116.11 (selecting ‘Notify me when updates are available’ option)
- ActiveX: Same behaviour as with 10.3.183.18
- Plugin: I did not see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com in Charles, and the FlashPlayerUpdate entry being created. I cleared the browser cache and then the request was made. After that, the request was sent without having to clear the browser cache. In subsequent tests, I did not see the subsequent requests in Charles, but I confirmed that it was sent because I modified/deleted the FlsahPlayerUpdate key and it was updated/created when I relaunched/refreshed the browser. This is the only time I cleared the browser cache during this testing.
- 18.104.22.168 (selecting Install updates automatically when available)
- ActiveX: Same behaviour as with 10.3.183.18 and 22.214.171.124 when ‘notify me when updates are available’ option is selected.
- Plugin: I did not see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com in Charles, but the request was sent as the FlashPlayerUpdate key was created. And it was updated when refreshing the browser.
- 11.3.r300.219 (selecting ‘notify me when updates area available’ option)
From this testing, it appears that even if the request does not appear in Charles proxy, it is being made, as confirmed with the FlashPlayerUpdate key being updated/created.
I'll find out the exact location of the FlashPlayerUpdate key and post back.
I'm still reading through the post but I believe they are referring to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\FlashPlayer reg_qword LastUpdateCheck
We're still investigating internally too, I don't like that the registry is being updated but nothing is seen with the network monitor.
Alright, so I know how this is going to sound but it appears to be working now. Nothing was changed on my client (a local virtual machine), therefore I have no clue why it would work all of the sudden. Luckily, I saved my network captures from previous tests and I researched them to confirm I'm not going crazy but they do in fact prove that the behavior yesterday is not the same as it is today. I no longer see the issue I stated above. When I have AutoUpdateDisable=0 and AutoUpdateInterval=0 set, I see traffic to fpdownload2.macromedia.com everytime I open IE and access Flash content, this is the behavior I was expecting originally. This also enabled me to confirm that when I set AutoUpdateDisable=1 and AutoUpdateInterval=0 I never see traffic to fpdownload2.macromedia.com, in other words it appears that everything is working as intended.
Quick note in regards to the developers notes above:
I am using IE8 on XP SP3 32-bit vs IE8 on Win7 32-bit. I attempted to replicate the test results the developer noted however when I delete the "LastUpdateCheck" registry key, I never see it re-created (I refreshed the web page and even re-launched IE). I suspect that this key is actually being used by the background updater which I have disabled, I could be completely wrong though and its not used by the background updater.