26 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2012 10:54 PM by sparkwrite RSS

Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software

sparkwrite

HI All. Maybe you can help me. I have just spent a few days creating a promotional video, a pretty simple one using audio from SonicFire, transions and titles from the title maker in Premiere. No fancy stuff from Adobe After Effects, only Premiere Pro CS5.5. It is under six minutes long. I sent it to Encore using the dynamic link like I usually do, clicked the Build button and it started. A moment later it told me "Encode Failed". I have no idea why and it seems after scouring the forum, no one else does either. Could be anything they say and then a bunch of grumbling about poor support. I agree. Anyway, someone mentioned third party software to burn the project with, but I have not been able to find anything that says there software is compatible with Premiere. I really don't want to have to go back and do the whole thing again, hours and hours and hours. This is the first time this has happened and the first project that I really, truley wanted to burn to a dvd as it is a promotional video of an invention of mine that I want to market. It is perfect on the project monitor and plays just like I would like it to play on a DVD, but  DAAAAA! What am I to do? I even thought of videoing the project window with my camera, but I don't think that would look very good. Can anyone give me a hand here. Spark, on the coast in Northern California. I will send a pre-appreciation to anyone who can help. Thanks

• 1. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software
          Ann Bens CommunityMVP

Just 'Encoding failed'  is not much to go on.

Might want to answer a few questions first.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961741?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software
            JSS1138 Community Member

What am I to do?

Well, most non-professionals hire a professional company to produce their promotional material.

So there's always that.

• 3. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software
              the_wine_snob Community Member

Back in PrPro, check that do not have any gaps in your Video Stream on the Timeline. That can cause a failure to Transcode - sometimes with a Failure to Return Frame error, but sometimes with a generic Transcoding Failed.

Good luck, and please do let us know more about your Project.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software
                sparkwrite Community Member

Thanks, that was really helpful. I'm sure you've always been a professional

in everything you've ever done and right out of the womb too!

• 5. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software
                  Jim Curtis Community Member

A simple reboot may solve your problem, but please fulfill Ann's request to provide more info.

• 6. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software
                    JSS1138 Community Member

I'm sure you've always been a professional

Of course not.  That's why I hire them when I need to.

Doing the job yourself is fine if it's not "mission critical" stuff, but this sounds like it might be.  A well made promotional video will do a lot to "sell" your invention.  You may be cheating yourself out of success by not hiring that professional producer.

• 7. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software

Bill Hunt wrote:

Back in PrPro, check that do not have any gaps in your Video Stream on the Timeline. That can cause a failure to Transcode - sometimes with a Failure to Return Frame error, but sometimes with a generic Transcoding Failed.

Good luck, and please do let us know more about your Project.

Hunt

I've also have had exports fail when there was a Nested Sequence inside my to-be-exported Sequence.  Exporting the Nest, and replacing the Nested Sequence with the exported file in the main Sequence fixed it.

• 8. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software

Thanks you Ann. I have review the link and have answered the

questions that it suggests. I hope this helps you help me. Have patience.

I’m using Premiere Pro with all updates up to date.

I’m using Windows 7 64bit.

All the footage is from a Panasonic PV GS36 mini DV camcorder. Just a

little $300 one and whatever codecs that are involved with that.

Full text of error message is: “Encode Fail”

When the problem occurred I was trying to burn it to a DVD using Encore

5.1.0.342 version.

I’ve only burned several projects to DVD, but it has always worked before.

I have never created such a complicated project with so many clips and

transitions and titles. Three video tracks and three audio tracks. The

audio is royalty free music from Sonicfire Pro5.

I have all kinds of software on my computer, Cyberlink, Kodak, LG, Paragon,

Smartsound and on and on.

No third party effects or anything like that that I know of.

Whe I look under General/Scratch Disks, the Mercury playback engine is

grayed out in the general window, so I don’t know if I’m using it or not.

The project plays just as it should in the project window.

These are the answers to the questions that I found on the link that Ann

sent me. So if there are any other questions I will be happy to research

them and get back to you with the best answers I can come up with. I’m

coming direct from Premiere 6.0 to Pro CS5.5 and I’m old and slow with a

slipping memory, but I wan to learn this. And please don’t tell me that I

should hire a professional. I don’t need to hear that. Totally

unproductive. Thanks for your efforts so far.  Spark

• 9. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software

That must be it, because I did leave a gap in the video and thought it

would not be a problem. I'm close the gap and see what happens. I think I

might have left it open because Ripple Delete would not work, or at least

that is what I remember sitting here right this minute. Thank you Bill. I

have seen your comments in the forum and you seem to know where the bear

did it in the buckwheat. Thanks again for your time. Much appreciated.

Spark

• 10. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software

HI Bill: I closed up a gap in the video and tried it and still got the same

"Encode Fail" error. I went back through and found a title that I had

inserted into the Video 1 timeline and moved that up to the Video 2

timeline and then filled the gap with Black Video and tried it again and it

still gave the error. I tried to Ripple Delete the gap where I put the

Black Video but it wouldn't Ripple Delete and I was worried about sliding

all those clips and audio, six tracks in all, to close the gap and really

getting myself into a mess, that is why I tried Black Video. Can you tell

me if Premiere does not recognize Black Video as the same as the original

video in the timeline. Would it still see the Black Video as a gap? Thanks.

Spark

• 11. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software

Jim,

Interesting. I have never encountered that, but then probably do not use as many Nested Sequences, as some others do.

Is that when you use ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link) to get the Sequence into Encore, or other?

Thank you for the H/U.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software

OK, thanks for the requested info, plus the report on the gap. I have seen a single, tiny gap cause Transcoding to fail, but have seen Projects with 100's of gaps, that Transcoded just fine... ?

Now, it appears that you wish to author to DVD (did not see mention of BD). Looks like you are working with SD material in what I assume is a DV Project.

You are also using ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link), to get your Sequence into Encore. If those statements are correct, then let's try a test:

Export your Sequence(s) as DV-AVI, Video-only. Export your Sequence(s) as PCM/WAV Audio-only @48KHz 16-bit. When done, provided that each the Video and the Audio Export fine, Import your DV-AVI Video-only file into Encore as a Timeline. Import your PCM/WAV as an Asset. From the En Project Panel, drag your WAV to the appropriate Timeline, where it will snap into place. Burn to Folder, as a test. Did that work? While it is the "old fashion" way, sometimes it just works better, than ADL.

Good luck, and hope that the Video and Audio will Export perfectly. Please report your success.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software

Bill, I only  have had this issue one time, when my footage was mixed, yet mostly mpg, and I was exporting from Pr to ProRes, so I could make WMVs in another app, as you can't go directly to WMV from Pr Mac.

I'm currently working on a broadcast spot with XDCam HD footage, and I have a nested sequence, and I've successfully exported several H.264 movs for review.

So, my experience so far is that some nested Sequences can cause export failures, others not.  It was definitely the Nest that caused the problem in my first example, because after multiple failures, and as soon as I replaced the Nest with a rendered footage item, the export was successful.

Bill Hunt wrote:

Jim,

Interesting. I have never encountered that, but then probably do not use as many Nested Sequences, as some others do.

Is that when you use ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link) to get the Sequence into Encore, or other?

Thank you for the H/U.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software

Thank you Bill. I will put on my study cap and go to it. I will certainly know more about the program when I report back to you. I appreciate your time.  Spark

• 15. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software

Bill, one more question before I begin. I also have gaps in my audio tracks, woud this make a difference?  Thanks.  Spark

• 16. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software

Spark,

Gaps in one's Audio Track should be of zero consequence. It is the Video, that can be an issue.

Now, what I am speaking of, regarding Video gaps, is any area, where there is zero Video, and none "covering" that space.

Remember, gaps in the Video are not always a problem, but often, they are. Why some cause no issues, and others do, is a bit of a mystery. Still, I fill ALL Video gaps with Black Video, if there are not usable Frames from either of the two Clips, on either side of tthe gap.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software

Thank you Bill. I filled one gap with Black Video earlier after removing a

title that I had slipped in there. Do titles count as video? Or are they

just like a gap? I've been trying everything I can think of except what you

told me to do. That is next and I have been dragging my feet on that

because for me it is a very complicated procedure and I will have to learn

as I go, slowly along. If you have any other ideas I'm all ears.  Spark

• 18. Re: Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software